Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
MI Camperz

Seasonal camping thread

Thought I'd start a thread about seasonal camping. Just to chat or share tips. Soon it will be time for most of us to open.
About us: We are seasonal in Michigan. Have a 2006 Cherokee 30f. Our campground is pretty modern, but not too. We have a marina (pontoons), beach, pool, golf course, tennis courts, lots of events, bands every w/e, golf cart parades, you name it.

Pros: No hauling and packing. Less wear and tear. Storage shed and deck, new friends, cheaper than hauling, storing, paying overnight fees, marina fees, etc, esp when you factor in no utility bills at home (includes water, electricity, and WIFI), can build custom features onto your lot like our patio surround fire pit.

Cons: Sometimes tire of the same scenery and itch to go elsewhere. Can get cliquey with some groups (although most people are friendly and helpful), work maintaining lot.

Overall, more pros than cons. Can't wait for April to get here!

Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #2

We really enjoy our seasonal site! We have nothing modern on the site, besides the electric and water hook up. And if we choose, we can be mobile by cranking up the stabilizers, and hooking up to the truck. Our site is at a camp resort that requires, or at least did require, a membership, and has a ton of things to do while we are there. We also have a shooting club at the campground, which I am the vice president of, and we have some sort of organized shoot every Sat, from the end of Apr, till the end of Oct. Twice a month it's trap, and the other days is could be anything from a concealed carry pistol competition, to a 22 rifle bulls-eye competition. Here is a link with the campground info.

Rocky Fork Ranch Resort | Come relax, have fun and enjoy nature at Rocky Fork Ranch
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
MI Camperz

Looks super nice DJ. You guys even have an indoor pool! Wow!
Have a good season!
Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

We also are seasonal, and found it took three tries before we found a place that was just the right fit for us. We found that the first was just too far for us to travel each weekend, the second one on a site that was very sandy, and I found myself constantly battling the sand that got tracked inside. We are now in a campground that has a nice grassy site and a drive that is not too far to travel each weekend.

Along the way we have met so many nice people. Yes, there are cliques, but you find which one you fit into. There are some who you can say a quick hello to, and others whom you will never speak with, but that doesn't make it a bad experience.

We enjoy doing a bit of gardening and making little improvements to our site. We like it colorful, yet simple...you won't find lots of tacky little ornaments strewn about on our site. Thankfully, the owners take pride in their campground, and those who tend to let their sites become "trashy" are made to clean it up or move on.

For us, the perfect weekend is arriving, unpacking, cooking up a few good meals with the neighbors (friends) and hanging by the fire at night with some good company and a cocktail or two. We try to invite anyone new to come spend time by the fire with us, and share in the stories. We enjoy those times.

Maybe someday in the future when we have the time, we will become "roadies", but for now, seasonal camping works for us and we love it.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
MI Camperz

I hear ya JT. Most people at our campgrounds fix up their sites nice. Some go way overboard and it's tacky, but to each his own. Have a good season and enjoy your fires, food, and company. We stay almost all summer and rarely go home. Commute is reasonable to work and I only work 3 days a week (RN/12h shifts). My husband drives 45 minutes to work, but he does that from home anyway. It works for us because he owns a small business and can't take time off. Rarely a long w/e, once a decade a whole week. This gives us a vacation life every day. We stay because the money we save not having utilities, cable at home for the months we're there, pays for the thing and because we have a dog and bird that are just a hassle to transport (the bird that is). Can't wait to go! April 1st just around the corner.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #6

Thanks Mike and Lynn for staring this thread. This will be our 6th year as a seasonal. After travelling alot and as the kids got older, DW and I didn't camp as much. A seasonal site fits us very well. Turn key operation, unpack the cooler, put the awning out, open up a cold one, done. As the rest of you have found out there are campgrounds with seasonal sites and then there are campgrounds with seasonal sites. I think we looked at 7 or 8 within a 2 hour drive from home until we found one that we liked. When camping we stayed at state and national parks so we appreciated the nice sites. At one place we checked out our awning would've been 3' from the camper next door. No thanks. As soon as we drove into this one place DW and I both knew this was it. Nice grounds, huge site, owners that take pride in the place and enforce the rules. We have a pool at home so a pool at the campground wasn't high on our list, but it's nice. We have met so many nice people and have such a great time. Whenever we walk the dog it's a 2 hour excursion because of all the 'stop and chats'. We even get together with several couples during the off season. I know it's not for everybody, heck 15 years ago I couldn't see ourselves as seasonal campers either. It's a different style of camping, but it's still camping.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Trailer Trash

For me my RV resort is 70 miles away from my home. The RV is a lake home not a camper. I looked at a bunch of park model RVs and none of them were as nice on the inside as my Columbus. I also have no need for a loft in an RV so a park model was not the ticket.

I like the idea of being in a permanent spot but CAN move the RV if I have or want to. I traveled all over USA and parts of Canada for work so I have seen many of the tourist hot spots. I did a cross country trip via motorcycle with a cargo trailer being me. So I have done the traveling to see the sites thing. For those that have not been so lucky, go to different places and enjoy the travel.

This reminds me of a previous thread..........what should I get the 2 or 4 door refrigerator? The answer is depends on how you use your RV.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
MI Camperz

Wiscampsin

Wiscampsin;

Nice Rig and sight. Did you lay that gravel pad down yourself or did the CG do it. It's a great idea.

Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
MI Camperz

Joelek

Joe;

You're right. When you're seasonal, you can still pull out to go somewhere. Thinking of going to the Goshen rally this August, in fact. I know some of the seasonals at our CG pull out every fall and go do the same thing down south.

Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Trailer Trash

Yup, here is my work in process - I moved in last fall to a site that was landscaped by previous resident. He had a much smaller RV so I had to rip some tiles out and make room for mine. The brown tiles are recycled rubber and the gray ones are cement. Oh do I have work to do this spring. I already did tree trimming last fall. That heavy tiles work is hard on the ol body!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Love your tiled patio for firepit too. We did the same, but not quite as big. I know it's camping, but I like keeping my feet out of the grass at night when it's dewy and/or mosquitos are out.

Mike and Lynn
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Trailer Trash

Well I'd camp at home but the neighbors there frown when you start a fire every night in your front yard. LOL!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
MI Camperz

LOL. We have a firepit in our yard at home. The yard in my area are pretty big (1/2 acre) and so nobody seems to care. It's common....including the fireman who lives next door.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Wiscampsin;

Nice Rig and sight. Did you lay that gravel pad down yourself or did the CG do it. It's a great idea.

Mike and Lynn
Thanks on your comment about our rig and site. We built the retaining wall the first year. The CG owner dumped 7 skidloader buckets of fill (free) as we went up with the wall. Once the ground was raked level by hand we put down landscape fabric and 3" of gravel. The gravel we paid for but got it thru a friend of the CG owner so it was pretty cheap. I didn't want to worry about mowing under the camper and figure the gravel will help keep the critters from underneath the camper. Then we built the 24' deck in 8' sections so we could unbolt and move it if necessary.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Yup, here is my work in process - I moved in last fall to a site that was landscaped by previous resident. He had a much smaller RV so I had to rip some tiles out and make room for mine. The brown tiles are recycled rubber and the gray ones are cement. Oh do I have work to do this spring. I already did tree trimming last fall. That heavy tiles work is hard on the ol body!
Great looking rig on a great looking site you got there!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
MI Camperz

Very clever move to keep the grass down. And it looks great!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #17

I own a RV site in the UP of MI, but it is seasonal because it is closed for the winter. It opens on May 1st and closes first Monday of October. I don't think that I would want to be there over the winter.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
MI Camperz

Can't say I blame you. Question: With the amount of snow the U.P. gets (about 200-300 inches), is this a problem for the RV roof? I saw someone ask this in a different thread.

Lynn
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #19

Michigan's U.P. is one of our favorite places to go. However, since we bought our first TT last August, we have never been there in a travel trailer. We're hoping to make the trip this summer with the Grandchildren.

TravelTracer
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #20

We don't leave our fifth wheel there during the winter. We take it back to Texas. I would think that it, the snow, would be a problem.
Closed Thread