Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Seasonal In Wisconsin

My wife and I are faced with possibly having to go from towing to becoming a seasonal if our luck doesn't change. This year, we've basically found out that our 15 month old camper apparently doesn't like traveling down the road, and loves to fall apart. I've got it all repaired...for now...but we've basically come to the conclusion that if we have another season like we've endured this year, that we will have to park it someplace because trading it for another new one in not in the cards.

We don't have a ton of requirements, but what we do need is:

Within 2 hours of Milwaukee
Pool
Play yards for kids
Within 30 Min of touristy area for rainy day entertainment
Sewer is preferable, but not a deal breaker if large holding tanks are available...we have 35 Gal tote, but I'm not spending a summer hauling gray water every 2 days.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I would also like to keep cost in mind....I've seen some nice places for around $2400...but that even seems hard to justify.

Currently, we go on around 6-7 weekend trips per year and put on 2500-3000 miles towing a year, so realistically, we currently pay around $1000 in site fees and probably spend around $700 in fuel. Obviously, we would need to use it more if we left it someplace, however we are still going to have to spend gas money to get to and from wherever we go.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
My wife and I are faced with possibly having to go from towing to becoming a seasonal if our luck doesn't change. This year, we've basically found out that our 15 month old camper apparently doesn't like traveling down the road, and loves to fall apart. I've got it all repaired...for now...but we've basically come to the conclusion that if we have another season like we've endured this year, that we will have to park it someplace because trading it for another new one in not in the cards.

We don't have a ton of requirements, but what we do need is:

Within 2 hours of Milwaukee
Pool
Play yards for kids
Within 30 Min of touristy area for rainy day entertainment
Sewer is preferable, but not a deal breaker if large holding tanks are available...we have 35 Gal tote, but I'm not spending a summer hauling gray water every 2 days.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I would also like to keep cost in mind....I've seen some nice places for around $2400...but that even seems hard to justify.

Currently, we go on around 6-7 weekend trips per year and put on 2500-3000 miles towing a year, so realistically, we currently pay around $1000 in site fees and probably spend around $700 in fuel. Obviously, we would need to use it more if we left it someplace, however we are still going to have to spend gas money to get to and from wherever we go.
2 hours out of Milwaukee is a pretty large area. There should be literally 100's of places for you to choose from. I'm in northern Illinois and can probably think of a dozen places right off the top of my head. Some are a bit more pricey than others. A few of them don't have pools but typically have some body of water (river or lake) to swim in and they are all within 30 mins of a large city.

Here are a few that I'm familiar with:
Blackhawk (Milton, WI)
Lakeland (Milton, WI
Crazy Horse (Brodhead, WI)
Holiday Acres (Garden Prarie, IL)
Paradise Park (Garden Prarie, IL)
Pine Country (Garden Prarie, IL)
KOA (Union, IL)
Pearl Lake (South Beloit, IL)
Yogi Bear (Ft. Atkinson, WI)

I'm sure there are tons more farther north. There are a lot as you get closer to Wisconsin Dells as well.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
2 hours out of Milwaukee is a pretty large area. There should be literally 100's of places for you to choose from. I'm in northern Illinois and can probably think of a dozen places right off the top of my head. Some are a bit more pricey than others. A few of them don't have pools but typically have some body of water (river or lake) to swim in and they are all within 30 mins of a large city.

Here are a few that I'm familiar with:
Blackhawk (Milton, WI)
Lakeland (Milton, WI
Crazy Horse (Brodhead, WI)
Holiday Acres (Garden Prarie, IL)
Paradise Park (Garden Prarie, IL)
Pine Country (Garden Prarie, IL)
KOA (Union, IL)
Pearl Lake (South Beloit, IL)
Yogi Bear (Ft. Atkinson, WI)

I'm sure there are tons more farther north. There are a lot as you get closer to Wisconsin Dells as well.
I know there are tons of places to camp....Like I said, looking for places that aren't outrageously priced and have good kid areas. We'd like to stay with a pool because of our toddler and we're planning on having another baby and pool areas are a lot more baby friendly.

I asked how much a seasonal was a Jellystone in Warrens, WI last weekend and had to pick my jaw up off the counter when the girl told me $3400 a year! We hit 6 or 7 different places a year, but when you're a seasonal its different than us being in and out too.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Pic up a Wisconsin Camping guide, or search for it online. We vacationed in WI earlier this month and picked one up at the Welcome center. I did not keep it, but it did list a lot of campgrounds and parks.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

Sent you a PM.
Link that might be helpful:Wisconsin Association of Campground Owners | Home – Static Front Page | The Wisconsin Association of Campground Owners
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

We like and go the River Bend Rv resort in Watertown Wi once a year. The web site said 2800 or so for a seasonal..................We also go to Indian Trails Campground in Pardeeville Wi yearly, but I couldn't see a seasonal price!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 AM   #7

Lakeland is going to cost you $4500, look at Crystal Lake Campground in Lodi Wis $2100-2400. Has everything your looking for and is about 30 minutes from the Dells. Just under 2 hours from Milwaukee. I've looked at a handful of the campgrounds you listed and they are all a lot of $$$. Found Crystal Lake at the Rockford RV show this past spring.
marshbrian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Any luck? We are considering a seasonal somewhat same area. We are looking at a couple yogi bears mainly for the kids. One reason is that if it is fairly close we can came more often, which is factored into the cost. Guaranteed holidays also.