Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Seasonal Is All About The Details

So the DW and I were talking the other night, and we put our finger on why we're (so far) really enjoying being seasonal. It's the details, or finishing touches, that we didn't have when we were traveling to different places. Like we have a nice outdoor sofa with extra cushions and pillows that we can take a nap on if we want. We also have a nice, big umbrella we added to our picnic table. We rarely used the picnic tables previously, as none of us like the sun all that much. We have a pretty good sized wood pile now, so no more paying $7 for 6 skinny pieces of "wood" at the campground store.
So... I thought I would post this, and hopefully get some ideas as you all post your favorite "details" of your seasonal site.
Happy Camping!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team

I think one of the biggest perks of being seasonal is having a semi-permanent screen-room with a nice 6-sided table and 6 chairs. More often than not that's where we will eat our dinner on Saturday nights. Quite often we just sit in there talking or playing cards. Keeps the sun, rain and bugs out. We set it up in April and don't take it down until October.

We have a picnic table on our site but honestly we don't use it all that often.

Keeping a constant supply of firewood on hand is definitely a huge money saver as well. I haven't bought any firewood in years. We had a tree in our backyard at home cut down a few years back and we are still using the wood from that.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Unlock the door, unpack the cooler, awning out, relax! Plus all the great friends we've made over the years.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Would have to say the best part of seasonal camping is all the great friends we made.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Another detail. Rainy weekends... no towing home and then having to dry everything out.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

If it's cold, hot, or wet out, we can decide to stay home at the last moment. When a forecast improves, we can change plans in a moment. We rarely visit our site when it's super hot or raining.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We are finishing the final part of seasonal camping, finally dry enough to pull it this week so new people can enjoy it. We have been doing it for 9 years, sold the park model and the Rockwood for a new Full Profile fifth wheel (SOB).
We had great neighbours when we moved in, as time went on the hood got worse and in the end the park itself changed. Time to move on to more travels.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

I the "seasonal" thingy in my 5'r as well (with a twist). I camp all 4 (2) seasons in southern AZ due to work and go home on the weekends. I am really enjoying my work, the folks I work with, and living in a nice 5'r during the work week. I have no choice about the weather though...its all about what day the weather hits as to how I am affected. Over this past winter, I never saw any bad weather as the rain events happened on the weekends only when I was up home in Phoenix.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
If it's cold, hot, or wet out, we can decide to stay home at the last moment. When a forecast improves, we can change plans in a moment. We rarely visit our site when it's super hot or raining.
Wisconsin, what's super hot, 70F?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #10

We added a new toy to our site this weekend. We love it so far!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	139602
Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

Maybe i'm just too excited to see a bunch of stuff but the wife and I can't understand why people want to do seasonal sites. I could see doing a few weeks, maybe a month, but dedicating the whole season to one place doesn't scratch my 'camping' itch.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
We added a new toy to our site this weekend. We love it so far!
Attachment 139602

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
Maybe i'm just too excited to see a bunch of stuff but the wife and I can't understand why people want to do seasonal sites. I could see doing a few weeks, maybe a month, but dedicating the whole season to one place doesn't scratch my 'camping' itch.
I doubt that anyone has an issue with your way of camping. Others have their way and it works for them. Having a seasonal site does not limit the ability to travel though. Plenty of people use their seasonal sites as a holding spot for their huge beasts until they have some vacation time. Others are happy to stay in one place and make friends. I don't understand why people park the camper at a storage lot when it could be on a seasonal site for quick visits, waiting for your next vacation. Plenty of motor homes on seasonal sites being traveled to on the weekends and used as a jumping off point for camping trips.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:09 AM   #14

Before my wife and I bought our Wildwood, we had a seasonal site at a campgrounds with our old camper. We loved that we could just pack some food and clothes and head out. We are going to travel this year and next with the Wildwood and maybe the year after that go seasonal again. Either way we have a blast, being a seasonal camper somewhere and being a traveling camper both have there perks.
pbrown1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #15
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Wisconsin, what's super hot, 70F?
No, we've already seen 89F. It will get hotter.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
No, we've already seen 89F. It will get hotter.
And along with that heat will come the humidity.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:

Some of us do not have the time to "see a bunch of stuff." We have the time to make weekend trips. We have found that we traveled/set up on Fridays, tore down/traveled on Sunday's... so that left Saturday to pack in all the "fun". It's a lot of work for one day. Sure, we could use vacation days for that, but with the seasonal, we don't have to. 20-minute set up/cleanup... and stay as late as we want on Sundays.
Sure... we enjoyed seeing different places too, but we also enjoy seasonal so far. I think a lot of enjoying your camping experience has to do with the campground you choose. We found one that is perfect for us.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Yep I like road trips and going place, I do miss that.

But... this past weekend I had no long lines to get in to the campsite .
We watch the weekenders set up camp while having a few cold one's. We also watch as the packed up to wait in looooong dump lines. I drove my golf cart by and waved and talked to a few of them while they waited and waited in the dump line.

I have a site with easy out for road trips, this was a must.... Funny thing tho, starting my 4th season and my only pullout was to change sites.

Our network of great friends at the cg is truly the very best of seasonal camping. Cookouts , fires , I could go on and on.

Maybe now you have a little better understand of why some of us do this seasonal thing.

Happy trails

Zelda the campin dog
Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Some of us do not have the time to "see a bunch of stuff." We have the time to make weekend trips. We have found that we traveled/set up on Fridays, tore down/traveled on Sunday's... so that left Saturday to pack in all the "fun". It's a lot of work for one day. Sure, we could use vacation days for that, but with the seasonal, we don't have to. 20-minute set up/cleanup... and stay as late as we want on Sundays.
Sure... we enjoyed seeing different places too, but we also enjoy seasonal so far. I think a lot of enjoying your camping experience has to do with the campground you choose. We found one that is perfect for us.
I have done both and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I will say when I had a seasonal I used my camper way more. Plus we met many great friends.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #20

We are seasonal and have been for five years. We towed our different campers to different places and enjoyed the campgrounds and the private spot with friends on their sites. It was getting harder to tow and set up and wasting time waiting to get into the campground and then leaving before we want to because of the rules. We have found that the cost of the seasonal is less than the towing the camper and reserving the campground site plus we like our site and can make it what we want it to be. We can't get to our seasonal campsite because I am temporarily 'disabled' due to an infected foot and bone. Five months since surgery and we hope to get to our camper by mid July. Even after missing so much time, we can just go to the camper, walk in and enjoy a day, or weekend, a week or longer. We're nearing retirement and plan to keep the camper at our spot and enjoy longer time at the camper.
wiscoheel is offline   Reply With Quote