Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Skirting for Travel Trailer

Hi all, our campground does not require it. And, at the moment, I am not 100% sure we will be returning to the campground we are currently at. But I am curious. Was wondering if you have found any websites/videos that walk you through the process of installing skirting on a travel trailer. Thanks!

Joe
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...travel+trailer
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
Hi all, our campground does not require it. And, at the moment, I am not 100% sure we will be returning to the campground we are currently at. But I am curious. Was wondering if you have found any websites/videos that walk you through the process of installing skirting on a travel trailer. Thanks!

Joe
Are you talking about long term parking? If not, time to look for another campground!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

Look on YouTube there's a whole list of videos for skirting a travel trailer!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks, I did look on youtube. Maybe not closely enough. A lot of the videos I saw were for park models. Wasn't sure if the install was different for a trailer similar to mine, a Wildwood 31 KQBTS. I will go back and take a closer look.

Joe
Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Are you talking about long term parking? If not, time to look for another campground!
yes, for long term parking.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, I did look on youtube. Maybe not closely enough. A lot of the videos I saw were for park models. Wasn't sure if the install was different for a trailer similar to mine, a Wildwood 31 KQBTS. I will go back and take a closer look.

Joe
Probably wouldn't be too different. Just search for skirting a travel trailer.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

It is quite a bit of work for a short stay.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

I used to do it when I was work-camping in Bloomington, IL. I used plywood and use long threaded rods to hold the corners on the ends of the RV. The slide outs I was able to rig those to hold just using the trim around the slide. It was required that it all be white of I had to paint it. I also put a cap of tubing over the top of the plywood all the way around to to keep out rain. Lot of work but when it is 20 below outside and the wind is 30 mph you are glad you did it. I also caulked / sealed all the seams to keep out any wind. If the wind gets in, your pipes will freeze up.

And you are right, the skirting around a fiver will be higher than a park model. I looked at off the shelf skirting but it was no where near high enough. Been a while since I did that so maybe there are some better ways now.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

My neighbour made his own for his travel trailer using some foil / bubble wrap from Home Depot or similar. He installed the little grommets and latches on the wrap and the trailer (about every 8 inches or so). It looked quite professional. He was on Vancouver island all winter. They saw -12c though and it was a little chilly he said. I don't think he had the proper heaters underneath though. He didn't freeze up though. It cast him about 500.00.
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #11

At the Quartzsite RV Show there are a couple of companies that custom make skirting for all types(made of marine quality material & insulated, even goes around the sides of slides). You should be able to Google & find them
redleg719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:

Joe
Just had my 40 ft. trailer skirted with 3 slideouts.
Cost $2500. I live on Vancouver Island, Looks great, Entrance where needed and totally insulated.
Prairieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #13

I wanted to mention that I looked at my insurance policy when I first purchased my trailer. It stipulates that if there is any skirting on the trailer than it is not covered. It says that anything attached to it (skirting, deck, etc). would not keep the policy in force. They are apparently looking at the issue with it being a temporary vs. permanent structure.

Anyone seen this before?
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
I wanted to mention that I looked at my insurance policy when I first purchased my trailer. It stipulates that if there is any skirting on the trailer than it is not covered. It says that anything attached to it (skirting, deck, etc). would not keep the policy in force. They are apparently looking at the issue with it being a temporary vs. permanent structure.

Anyone seen this before?
I guess it depends what the trailer is being insured for. I was quoted a little over $1000.00 Cdn for an un-skirted trailer if I lived in it full time. By skirting it I got full coverage for just about $300.00 since it is then considered to be a permanent 'mobile home".
Prairieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post

Anyone seen this before?
Yes I have heard of this first hand. A few years back we turned in a claim for roof and interior damage on our old Sunseeker. A tree branch fell down on top or it. The insurance agent at the office asked where we had it parked at the time of damage. We, unknowing, stated at our permanent camp site. She immediately began to frown.

She then stated the insurance will not cover a permanently installed RV. She explained, a permanently installed RV is any RV that is not setting on tires, skirting attached and any hard pipes used to connect the plumbing. She then stated some people confuse permanent sites with seasonal sites. She continued by saying "listen and reply carefully". Do you have a permanent site or a seasonal site? I replied seasonal. She smiled and continued the paperwork process.

Less than two weeks later the repair shop had a check for $8000 and the repairs were completed.

From now on, I am always very careful not to use term permanent or connect anything that would be considered permanent.

Hope this helps.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #16

Just to note something that I had not considered about skirting prior to having a seasonal site. The skirting that I see has insulation. I've been told that this helps retain the heat in late fall and early spring to allow for more camping with the water on, provided you have a wrapped or heated water line.

Someone also mentioned to me that their skirting is so tight that it prevents mice. Interesting claim.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer