Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Anchors would only be necessary if you are in an area prone to flooding. I've never seen a deck lifted up by the wind, but they do have a tendency to float.

Also no need to qualify the word deck with quotes. It's wood, it's in front of your camper, you walk on it... It's a deck.

I have a similar one in my backyard at home that is flat on the ground.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Thinking of building a 16x20' "deck"

We built our 8'x24' deck using 4'x8' sections. Original idea was to make them in 8'x8' sections, but an experienced seasonal camper suggested the smaller size due to the weight of the treated lumber. We have to remove our deck every November because of the campsite being below the spillway level of the lake's dam. Two people can move the 4'x8' sections a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	135216  

Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #13
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWestlake View Post
We built our 8'x24' deck using 4'x8' sections. Original idea was to make them in 8'x8' sections, but an experienced seasonal camper suggested the smaller size due to the weight of the treated lumber. We have to remove our deck every November because of the campsite being below the spillway level of the lake's dam. Two people can move the 4'x8' sections a lot easier.
Exactly what we did too. The smaller sections easily fit in our utility trailer to tow home. Our summer site floods each winter, and occasionally in the spring so we needed to be able to move quickly. Also the smaller pieces are easier to level by using shims under them. We have never anchored them either. We keep a table and chairs on them. The decks are heavy and not going anywhere unless they start floating!
2016 camping: Lost count, but never enough.
2017 reservations made!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #14

We do the same thing every season with my mother in-laws deck save your back and your friends make the sections smaller! 4x10 would be much easer to move helping friends seem to evaporate when time comes to move. Reinforce the corners. Recommend building it lighter than standard and add extra support. That's my experience.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #15

You all have convinced me to do it in 4x8 sections. I like that better, because I can then actually do most of the construction at home, where all the tools are, and then load them up in the bed of my pickup and tote them down to the campground.

Takes some of the complications of lumber delivery out of the way, too.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
You all have convinced me to do it in 4x8 sections. I like that better, because I can then actually do most of the construction at home, where all the tools are, and then load them up in the bed of my pickup and tote them down to the campground.

Make sure you post pictures of the finished product!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #17
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post

Don't tell anyone when you're moving it. The weight police may show up and inspect your payload numbers.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #18

As far as building permits go it is up to the state, county and municipalities whether you need them. We didn't need them until 6 years ago when the county decided to start taxing for any over 100 sq ft. The first 2 years we were charged $1.76 for 8x16 deck. But since we moved to the larger site next to where we were, we have not seen a tax bill in 4 years. And the deck is 8x12 with a 14x22 patio made with pavers.

Please, whatever you guys do, don't tell anyone it's that big.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #19

Set up the site yesterday and took some final measurements. 12x16' is what I'm settling on, six 4x8' sections.

According to campsite management, if the deck is ground height, no permits are required. Mine will be ground height thankfully, with just a 4" slope to contend with.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #20

Your lucky. Here in Marquette County Wisconsin, it doesn't matter if it's above ground or in the ground. As long as it is not just plain ground they can tax you as it is an improvement.

Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote