Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Thinking of building a 16x20' "deck"

Hi folks,

Have some seasonal questions, this seems the be the most active thread on this forum. We've been "semi-seasonal" at a campground in Maryland for the last couple summers, paying monthly rate in their transient sites, waiting for a permanent site to open, which finally happened this year.

Thinking of building a 16x20' "deck" for the site. I put the word in quotes, as it will be ground level, and I plan to build it in four 8x10' sections of so it can be easily moved in the future.

I plan on lag bolting each section together and screwing down the planks above so I can gain access later in case I need to disassemble. I plan on laying down some 10x6 planks under the edges of each section so I can slide the entire unit away from the camper in case we want to hit the road. We keep a golf cart at the site, so that would be my pulling power when it comes time to slide.

Does that sound like a proper plan for a seasonal site? Maybe this was answered already in this long thread, lots to read through.

Also, with such a "temporary" structure, would I need to do a building permit? Not sure where the line is drawn between deck and wooden pad.

Thanks for the insight, and here comes summer!

Todd
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Sections bolted together is a good way to go. I've moved my deck twice so far and 8x10 works out great..
As far as a permit goes that's up to you and your cg rules.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001_100800.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	135132

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

My thought was sure, good forward thinking. My followup question is, should it have ground anchors? The local rules or campground rules may dictate but if it was just up to you, what might you consider?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Ok, looks like a moderator moved my post into its own thread, and out of the seasonal sticky. Who knows, maybe this thread will become the most active on the forum.

Anyway, ground anchors: as in footings with posts? Not sure that would be needed if it's sitting directly on a gravel pad and made of pressure treated wood?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

I was thinking about when mother nature gets her wind on.
Just put it on wheels and when a big blow happens you can just tow it back.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I was thinking about when mother nature gets her wind on.
Just put it on wheels and when a big blow happens you can just tow it back.

I'm imagining 8x10' deck sections will be mighty heavy, especially with 4 of them bolted together. How are yours anchored?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

I do not have a deck. Others may have ideas. I just wanted to suggest a consideration.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
I'm imagining 8x10' deck sections will be mighty heavy, especially with 4 of them bolted together. How are yours anchored?
You could use this ShelterLogic 30 in. Earth Anchors Set (4-Piece)-10075.0 - The Home Depot

Then lag-bolt it to the deck

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:45 AM   #9

You get wind high enough to lift that thing, you won't need the deck until you get your new trailer and they clean and rebuild the campground.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You get wind high enough to lift that thing, you won't need the deck until you get your new trailer and they clean and rebuild the campground.
Indeed, I'm thinking a fly away deck would be the least of my worries with a wind that strong.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Anchors would only be necessary if you are in an area prone to flooding. I've never seen a deck lifted up by the wind, but they do have a tendency to float.

Also no need to qualify the word deck with quotes. It's wood, it's in front of your camper, you walk on it... It's a deck.

I have a similar one in my backyard at home that is flat on the ground.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Thinking of building a 16x20' "deck"

We built our 8'x24' deck using 4'x8' sections. Original idea was to make them in 8'x8' sections, but an experienced seasonal camper suggested the smaller size due to the weight of the treated lumber. We have to remove our deck every November because of the campsite being below the spillway level of the lake's dam. Two people can move the 4'x8' sections a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	135216  
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #13
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWestlake View Post
We built our 8'x24' deck using 4'x8' sections. Original idea was to make them in 8'x8' sections, but an experienced seasonal camper suggested the smaller size due to the weight of the treated lumber. We have to remove our deck every November because of the campsite being below the spillway level of the lake's dam. Two people can move the 4'x8' sections a lot easier.
Exactly what we did too. The smaller sections easily fit in our utility trailer to tow home. Our summer site floods each winter, and occasionally in the spring so we needed to be able to move quickly. Also the smaller pieces are easier to level by using shims under them. We have never anchored them either. We keep a table and chairs on them. The decks are heavy and not going anywhere unless they start floating!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #14

We do the same thing every season with my mother in-laws deck save your back and your friends make the sections smaller! 4x10 would be much easer to move helping friends seem to evaporate when time comes to move. Reinforce the corners. Recommend building it lighter than standard and add extra support. That's my experience.
Jc furnace man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #15

You all have convinced me to do it in 4x8 sections. I like that better, because I can then actually do most of the construction at home, where all the tools are, and then load them up in the bed of my pickup and tote them down to the campground.

Takes some of the complications of lumber delivery out of the way, too.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #16

Quote:
You all have convinced me to do it in 4x8 sections. I like that better, because I can then actually do most of the construction at home, where all the tools are, and then load them up in the bed of my pickup and tote them down to the campground.

Make sure you post pictures of the finished product!
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #17

Quote:

Don't tell anyone when you're moving it. The weight police may show up and inspect your payload numbers.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

As far as building permits go it is up to the state, county and municipalities whether you need them. We didn't need them until 6 years ago when the county decided to start taxing for any over 100 sq ft. The first 2 years we were charged $1.76 for 8x16 deck. But since we moved to the larger site next to where we were, we have not seen a tax bill in 4 years. And the deck is 8x12 with a 14x22 patio made with pavers.

Please, whatever you guys do, don't tell anyone it's that big.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #19

Set up the site yesterday and took some final measurements. 12x16' is what I'm settling on, six 4x8' sections.

According to campsite management, if the deck is ground height, no permits are required. Mine will be ground height thankfully, with just a 4" slope to contend with.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Your lucky. Here in Marquette County Wisconsin, it doesn't matter if it's above ground or in the ground. As long as it is not just plain ground they can tax you as it is an improvement.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote