Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for all the advice! And it would be great to hear from anyone else that has more to share. It's nice to hear about things we may not have thought about yet.

A little background, we are in our late 30's and we have a two year old daughter (and she will be an only child). We used to have a larger travel trailer at a different seasonal, but we had to get rid of it due to a mold problem.

We were going to try to travel, so we got a Flagstaff MicroLite 18FBRS. It's a fantastic little unit for two people and super easy to tow. And we eventually discovered that with the slide-out and folding table it had plenty of room for a pack-and-play crib. [emoji16]
But after having a seasonal site, the process of setting and tearing down at different campgrounds seemed like a lot of work.

So that's how we ended up on a seasonal site in an 18 foot trailer that does not have good sleeping arrangements for two adults and a toddler. (Financially we will need to wait until at least next summer, but knowing what we are looking for will help planning a budget and time line.)
HeyScienceTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #22

There are reasons more full timers are in 5ers than anything else,,, those reasons fit seasonal too. Cost is a factor as a 5er will cost more.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
There are reasons more full timers are in 5ers than anything else,,, those reasons fit seasonal too. Cost is a factor as a 5er will cost more.
Yep, we started out full timing in a TT, but it didn't take us long to upgrade to a 5er.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #24

We made the switch from TT to 5th wheel last year, mostly at my wife's urging to get a King Size Bed!! Lottsa dogs in the family who join us in bed!!

I assume that a "seasonal" will be left at a specific site for a very long time between visits. We chose our 5th wheel for ease of towing, and we do lots of miles every year. That said, I would choose a 5th wheel for your needs because it feels much more like "home" than a typical TT. We adored our previous TT for nearly 15 years, and once had 18 friends all sitting down for dinner on a rainy night inside!! Now, we enjoy the high ceilings and huge kitchen and tons of storage, etc. Fit and finish of 5th wheels also seems to be a cut above a similar-sized TT. Check out all the Cardinal 5th wheel floor-plans to find a top-of-the-line 5th wheel to meet your needs.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 AM   #25

Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel for seasonal site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyScienceTeacher View Post
At some point in the future we will be getting a larger camper for our seasonal site. Since we won't be towing it anywhere, we don't need to worry about trailer weight or tow vehicle setup (we would have it delivered to the site). The trailer we have now was originally purchased because it would be easy to travel with, but it is definitely not ideal for a seasonal setup.

I've been looking around online to get an idea of what our options will be. We've owned three travel trailers, but I'm not very familiar with fifth wheels. It seems like for the same overall length you generally get more storage space and often more interior space with a fifth wheel, particularly in the main bedroom. And the ones I've seen in person have felt more sturdy and well constructed than the comparable travel trailers.

Would you have a preference either way for a unit that won't be towed? Are there drawbacks with a fifth wheel that wouldn't apply to a trailer trailer? Thanks for your input!

(I have also looked into "destination trailers", but we need gray/black tanks and our site will only fit about a 34" trailer.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	146192

We have a Park Model on our Seasonal Site and love it. Residential appliance, fire place, queen Size bed, loft for when the kids come and visit. Absolutely perfect.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #26
MCTroy

We keep our TT on a seasonal site all summer. No way we would consider a 5th wheel where we camp. We love our site but it is beside a pretty creek... And it can flood. Anyone can hook to our TT and move it. Just bring in the sides crank up the jacks and it is ready. The campground has no way to move a 5th wheel. Consider emergency situations. You never know when you may have to be able to tow or move for repairs etc. I would never own something I couldn't move myself.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
Attachment 146192

We have a Park Model on our Seasonal Site and love it. Residential appliance, fire place, queen Size bed, loft for when the kids come and visit. Absolutely perfect.
+1, I would order a park model with the tanks (this is an option if needed) and move sites. A park model is really luxury and they last a very long time.

bruce...
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Not sure I buy that a 35 foot 5ver has more room than a 35 foot TT. Basically don't they both have 35x8 feet of floor space (plus whatever the slides offer)?
They would have the same floor space, but higher ceilings means higher and more cabinets. We actually have so much storage in our fiver that we have cabinets that are nearly empty. In our old TT we sometimes struggled to make room for everything.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We have a park model in Arizona with an addition and a deck. It feels more like a home than at RV. It's great for a seasonal set up.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
+1, I would order a park model with the tanks (this is an option if needed) and move sites. A park model is really luxury and they last a very long time.

bruce...

That's the exact reason why we bought a new Park Model. Long term. Retirement is a few years down the road so we want comfort here and hope to head to Myrtle Beach in the winter months. Putting things in place for when that time comes.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #31

We live in Southern California, so our "seasonal site" is our own backyard! Fortunately, we have just enough room to back our fifth wheel into the driveway behind a gate next to the house, and just in front of the garage packed with "toys".

Best advice I can offer is to visit as many RV trade shows as possible in your area and look at all the various options. Something is bound to catch your attention.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #32

Ok lots of good advice here is my 2 cents. Been at this campground for 7 years the last 3 of witch are full time (love being homeless) Started with a TT then got a Ceder Creek Cottage. Now we have OB fiver. What we like is the 5 slides 65" tv, theater seats,king bed and big shower oh yes built for full time ! My advice is if you plan to stay there for a long time get a park model, if life changes and you have to move a 5er is the way to go you would have to sell the park model. I didn't have a truck to move mine for almost a year, we get hurricanes here and we don't have to depend on anyone to move it now. What ever you decide get at least 2 if not 3 AC units 15,000 btu. Got to run for now pm if questions.
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Not sure I buy that a 35 foot 5ver has more room than a 35 foot TT. Basically don't they both have 35x8 feet of floor space (plus whatever the slides offer)?
If you are trying to fit a trailer into a site that has a max length of 35 ft., then they don't both have the same amount of floor space. A 35 ft. 5th wheel is 35 ft. long (if you take off the rear-mounted spare tire). To fit a TT in the same 35 ft. site, it would have a box that is only 31-32 ft. long because there is a 3-4 ft. tongue sticking out in the front.

That means the TT is <32' x 8' = <256 SF, while the 5th wheel is 35' x 8' = 280 SF or could even be 35' x 8.5' = 298 SF because a number of 5th wheels now come in 8.5' widths. Of course, all those SFs are exterior dimensions, not actual interior floor space, due to the thickness of the walls. And that figure does not include the added floor space of any slides.

Bottom line: Assuming the same floor space from added slides, then no, the travel trailer does not = the 5th wheel in floor space.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #34

fanrgs X 2. Not taking sides here in this discussion, but we just moved from a "35-foot" TT to a "35-foot" 5th wheel. We have been amazed at the increased volume of storage in the 5er. It is much taller than our TT, so there is substantial storage beneath the bedroom floor than before.

That said, I miss the storage area that I lost when when, at my DW's insistence, we removed the truck bed shell to accommodate the 5th wheel hitch. Marital bliss has certain conditions that revolve around the concept of "compromise".
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #35

You are still a young family. Since your daughter will be your only child I would go with the TT and a properly equipped tow vehicle. Go see the country and enjoy yourselves.

Safe travels!

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel