Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Oh no Sir. They worked great. I'm not too proud of my homemade poles. If I use them much I will buy some or use some painters poles or something.
another option is to make them out of the gray pvc conduit, .... 1" into 1 1/4" is a perfect fit, ... no rust, lifetime color, easy to work(pvc, not metal), has a nice look of a substantial porch post, .... they work great and I think they look nice .......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5315.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	141465   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5320.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	141466   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5319.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	141467   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5317.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	625.8 KB
ID:	141468  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #2002

The PVC is a great idea. They do look good. I could probably do that myself, but I am not sure about the pieces for the awning attachments. Any hints or blueprints would be great. Nice work.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #2003
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUFan1 View Post
Just installed my brackets that I bought last year from OC and had Turbs powder coat for me. Just bought the 6-12 foot Wooster Sherlock poles from Home Depot today and installed one set.

Question, is anyone using the actual lock that came with the poles? It seems like a good lock. Second I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to reach it at the campsite since it's at the top of the pole (I can't put the awning out fully at home as it's on the street side).

Last question, has anyone painted these poles? If so what kind of paint?

They look great but a little paint on the poles and it will look even better.

Thanks

Attachment 141461Attachment 141462[ATTACH]141463
You should have mounted the poles the other direction.
The locks would be within easy reach.
The pole doesn't care which way it's mounted to hold the awning when deployed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #2004

Why worry about mounting the poles?
Just glue a cap on the conduit and insert a screw that will fit in the auxiliary track. of the awning.
The poles hold the awning up and the straps hold them down.
Works great!
panamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
The PVC is a great idea. They do look good. I could probably do that myself, but I am not sure about the pieces for the awning attachments. Any hints or blueprints would be great. Nice work.
thank you, .... I used OC's bracket kit, but because the 1" pvc is a bit larger than the brackets are made for, I did have to spread the sides open just a little, ... but panamabear in post #2004 above, has an idea that just might work, .... it sounds like he has done that and if he would post a few pic's, that could lead to a whole new way of doing this mod, ....

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
Russ, just look on West Marine site, they have the same connectors, look in the Bimini Top brackets save yourself a whole lot of money, just find the size you need, the only thing different is that you don't have the hole to hook your strap, once the pole is in place and your awning tube is supported just loop your strap around it and tighten down. You don't need ROCKET ENGINEERING... PS: you should have told me this at the Georgia Rally. My set up cost me $ 440.00 dollars (2 awnings never again) when I could have used sch. 40 PVC or PVC conduit. They even sell brackets that you can use on the bottom if you want to keep them attached.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #2007

Thanks Witch Doctor - I appreciate the advice.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #2008
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamabear View Post
Why worry about mounting the poles?
Just glue a cap on the conduit and insert a screw that will fit in the auxiliary track. of the awning.
The poles hold the awning up and the straps hold them down.
Works great!
First... my power awning tracks (rails) have no holes. (auxiliary?)
They need the brackets to mount them.

Second... with the poles mounted to the outer rail, there's no need to stow them away somewhere in a compartment. They stay right where they are needed... on the rail.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
once the pole is in place and your awning tube is supported just loop your strap around it and tighten down.
you should NEVER pull any force down on the awning tube, that puts that force on the small motor and its bearings, a sure way to destroy both, ... that's one of the great features of OC's brackets, you can put all the force you want on his brackets and none of that force is on the motor or its bearings, .....

Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #2010

I was under the impression that all awning had the accessory(auxiliary) channels (groves) in the roller tubes, that screens, lights, excreta were installed. That's to what I was referring to.
that how I installed mine to hold up the awning with the screen room attached.
panamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamabear View Post
I was under the impression that all awning had the accessory(auxiliary) channels (groves) in the roller tubes, that screens, lights, excreta were installed. That's to what I was referring to.
that how I installed mine to hold up the awning with the screen room attached.
there's a big difference between hanging an awning screen or a row of lights, and ratcheting down enough force to withstand wind that may blow against the awning fabric, ... but, if that's how you're doing it and don't see the danger to your motor, then go ahead, its your awning, .....

Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
you should NEVER pull any force down on the awning tube, that puts that force on the small motor and its bearings, a sure way to destroy both, ... that's one of the great features of OC's brackets, you can put all the force you want on his brackets and none of that force is on the motor or its bearings, .....
Once the poles are on the ground and extended it makes NO DIFFERENCE at all if you wrap a strap on that tube, reread my post, your still pulling down on that tube if you hook it or wrap it above the supported poles. You fell for it just as I did, this is not ROCKET SCIENCE. But this is just my opinion which I know will work I'll buy Russ a new awning roller if it bent his. Your tring to say that the pressure is less pulling from the eye of the bracket? Please... PS: the Bracket is hooked to the awning motor screw...There was a nitch and the people ( Turbs and Mr. Dunn) filled it they are SMART. The good old American ingenuity. Nothing wrong with that, such as not needing Alum. poles, conduit poles or anything else. People now use PVC , painters poles and also Truck cargo poles But I'm lazy not stupid...

Old 06-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #2013
Mod free 5er

If you use the bracket kit, you are not pulling on the motor, you are pulling on the bracket bolted to the pole and the awning arm. The tube is free to tilt the same as it does when it supposedly automatically dumps. If you wrap around the awning tube, you are exerting a load on the motor/torsion spring shaft that it is not designed for. You could break the shafts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasPeddler Awning.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	141553  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #2014

Quote:
Once the poles are on the ground and extended it makes NO DIFFERENCE at all if you wrap a strap on that tube, reread my post, your still pulling down on that tube if you hook it or wrap it above the supported poles. You fell for it just as I did, this is not ROCKET SCIENCE. But this is just my opinion which I know will work I'll buy Russ a new awning roller if it bent his. Your tring to say that the pressure is less pulling from the eye of the bracket? Please... PS: the Bracket is hooked to the awning motor screw...There was a nitch and the people ( Turbs and Mr. Dunn) filled it they are SMART. The good old American ingenuity. Nothing wrong with that, such as not needing Alum. poles, conduit poles or anything else. People now use PVC , painters poles and also Truck cargo poles But I'm lazy not stupid...
I suppose you're using the poles to support the awning tube?? .... not the awning arms like OC's design does, ... if that's the case, then, yes, the pull down force is not on the motor, .... but how you're doing that is not clear, and as I suggested early on, some pic's of this wonderful new idea would be helpful, .... BUT, if you're not supporting the awning tube with the poles, but supporting some place else like the arms, and still ratcheting down on the awning tube, then my statement about damaging the motor stands, .... and like has been stated many time before, "if there ain't pic's, it didn't happen" .....

Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #2015

I still say tree limb support poles are cheaper and easy to use. http://m.ebay.com/itm/162486486686?_...75&_mwBanner=1
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you use the bracket kit, you are not pulling on the motor, you are pulling on the bracket bolted to the pole and the awning arm. The tube is free to tilt the same as it does when it supposedly automatically dumps. If you wrap around the awning tube, you are exerting a load on the motor/torsion spring shaft that it is not designed for. You could break the shafts.
There ya go, straight from the MAN.
Another way to look at it is that the pole, bracket, awning arm, and rope to the ground supplies a magic place in space where the bracket is solid. It has a slight pulling vector on the arms of the awning but no vector force on the roller. The bracket is being pulled down on the pole by the rope or strap. The awning is just anchored there with no stress involved to it. You could also plant the bottom of the pole in a concrete foot and once dry just anchor the awning to it. No rope needed.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #2017

I guess people have never seen an awning motor? If you put a strap on that tube at the motor it is the strongest point of the tube for 1' in. You can believe what you want as I do, but I do not believe this is going to bend my awning roller. It is a bunch of sales talk. Remember I said with the poles attached, Dah... Everyone has there own opinion. Like I said I will buy Russ a new tube if it bends. I use to tie mine down without poles and it never bent, Like I say a great idea but not really needed.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #2018

Quote:
I guess people have never seen an awning motor? If you put a strap on that tube at the motor it is the strongest point of the tube for 1' in. You can believe what you want as I do, but I do not believe this is going to bend my awning roller. It is a bunch of sales talk. Remember I said with the poles attached, Dah Everyone has there own opinion. Like I said I will buy Russ a new tube if it bends. I use to tie mine down without poles and it never bent, Like I say a great idea but not really needed.
no one has said anything about the awning tube bending?? DUH, .... where did that come from?? .... reread #2009, 2011 and 2014, nothing about awning tube bending, ..... what is in question is, will the motor be damaged with your method, you think not, ok, .... a few pic's of your idea, might prove your point, ..... pic's??

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #2019
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
I guess people have never seen an awning motor? If you put a strap on that tube at the motor it is the strongest point of the tube for 1' in. You can believe what you want as I do, but I do not believe this is going to bend my awning roller. It is a bunch of sales talk. Remember I said with the poles attached, Dah... Everyone has there own opinion. Like I said I will buy Russ a new tube if it bends. I use to tie mine down without poles and it never bent, Like I say a great idea but not really needed.
X 2. No different if you are using the bracket. As mentioned does not take rocket science to see what is happening, same principal. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #2020
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2. No different if you are using the bracket. As mentioned does not take rocket science to see what is happening, same principal. Later RJD
Big difference, with the brackets, you are not putting any more load on the motor shaft like you do if you strap around the awning tube.

Tags
awning, modifications