Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #21

Inverter is working great. Can't believe my residential fridge is 36 degrees when that side is in full Florida sun and 88 outside. Old three way could not keep up in the Voltage toy hauler. Question though on the inverter. I'm hooked up for the next month. Should I shut the inverter off with the button on the panel or leave it running? I was told not to ever shut it off on the inverter with the on/off switch on the inverter as I guess there is a start up procedure you have to use. Thanks.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #22

no real 'reason' to disable the Inverter, even when plugged in, because it simply passes thru 120v power from the shore, BUT it also is your backup power should the shore power trip or fail... your fridge would then be without power for that time frame, if you were gone.

I like to always leave the Inverter on, since it really just sits in 'stand by mode' when you're on external power, but ready to take action when that power is lost. For instance, satellite receivers don't like to lose power since they have to reset and reacquire the satellites, and the programming...which can take a while, especially if you are in the middle of a show or movie.

One 'drawback' to leaving the inverter on all the time is that if you DO lose external power, you may not even realize it for a long time, until your AGS kicks on your generator suddenly, or your Inverter actually reaches it's LBCO(Low battery cut off) setting and turns OFF the inverter.
Of course, during the summer, when running the air conditioners, it's a little more obvious when the Inverter has to take over because it does not run them, and they just suddenly cut off.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #23

Thank you sir!
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #24

Hey Rusty, glad it has all worked out!

I think the PDI guy was trying to say that if you turn the switch that is physically on the inverter off, your inside switch will no longer be able to turn it on. There is no start up procedure, you would just have to go back to the inverter and turn the switch located on it back to “on”.

Personally, once we hook up to shore power, I turn off the inside switch to save wear and tear on the inverter. Like everything else, they do fail over time. As we are back at the rig every night, I don’t worry about power failures too much. Everybody is different so either way works.

Enjoy Florida, we are in Branson MO, it’s 51 and raining. We will be in Florida after Christmas though so all is good.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Ed
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter