Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Member
 
jacgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Bearings

Fellow Riverstone owners, wanted to give a heads up. It could just be a freak thing but I lost the outer bearing with less than 10,000 miles on our 2018 38FB. It also caught the grease on fire which thankfully I got out before any damage to the trailer.

I lucked out as I was close enough to home for my son to bring me some new bearings. I always have a set onboard but as this was a new rig I didnít bother to get them before heading out on our first trip. (Big dummy) Big thanks also to a fellow RVer (Paul) who stopped to assist. He lived nearby and was kind enough to take the hub to his shop to press one of the stubborn races in for me and helped until we were safely on our way.

Riverstone and Dexter are stepping up to make it right, but as this is a safety issue, I wanted to put it out there. Please keep an eye on yours even if itís new. I had just done a walk around about 80 miles prior and all was ok.

As for Good Sam roadside assistance, all I can say is that I wonít be renewing. I had 3 different RV owners including Paul stop and see if they could help. As a group, RVers are the best roadside assistance you can ever have.

Take care yíall and be safe,
Ed
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9666.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	190637Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9668.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	190638
__________________

jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,642
Thanks for posting this, I sure hope it was a coincidence and as bad as at was you still dodged the bullet. I'm curious if you know whether the OEM bearings were of Asian or domestic origin.
I've been carrying an infrared thermometer for the last 10 years or so hoping to detect abnormal heat on the tires, bearings and brakes before it becomes a major issue, so far...... knock on wood.
__________________

__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt AGM Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
drelec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Posts: 108
10,000 miles - first trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
Fellow Riverstone owners, wanted to give a heads up. It could just be a freak thing but I lost the outer bearing with less than 10,000 miles on our 2018 38FB. It also caught the grease on fire which thankfully I got out before any damage to the trailer.

I lucked out as I was close enough to home for my son to bring me some new bearings. I always have a set onboard but as this was a new rig I didn’t bother to get them before heading out on our first trip. (Big dummy) Big thanks also to a fellow RVer (Paul) who stopped to assist. He lived nearby and was kind enough to take the hub to his shop to press one of the stubborn races in for me and helped until we were safely on our way.

Riverstone and Dexter are stepping up to make it right, but as this is a safety issue, I wanted to put it out there. Please keep an eye on yours even if it’s new. I had just done a walk around about 80 miles prior and all was ok.

As for Good Sam roadside assistance, all I can say is that I won’t be renewing. I had 3 different RV owners including Paul stop and see if they could help. As a group, RVers are the best roadside assistance you can ever have.

Take care y’all and be safe,
Ed
Attachment 190637Attachment 190638

Glad you got pulled over before much damage was done.

Guess I don't understand how this could be your first trip and have 10,000 miles and close to home?

Great that fellow RV'ers stopped to lend a hand.

Did your TPS system alarm on temperature or pressure?
__________________
Prime Time Manf. Crusader 270RET 2012

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Member
 
jacgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Thanks for posting this, I sure hope it was a coincidence and as bad as at was you still dodged the bullet. I'm curious if you know whether the OEM bearings were of Asian or domestic origin.
I've been carrying an infrared thermometer for the last 10 years or so hoping to detect abnormal heat on the tires, bearings and brakes before it becomes a major issue, so far...... knock on wood.


Bearing was destroyed beyond recognition and I was more interested in getting off the highway. I didnít look that close. Iíll have to look at the others when I pull them.

I would not be surprised at all if they donít say China on them. The ones I stuck in there to get home did. I was only 50 miles from home so I didnít care.

Infrared is a great idea by the way, I donít know if it would have detected it as it wasnít hot to touch 80 miles prior but Iím getting one anyway.

I hope everybody out there keeps their fire extinguisher checked also. Without it, we could have well had severe damage or completely lost this rig.
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Member
 
jacgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
Glad you got pulled over before much damage was done.

Guess I don't understand how this could be your first trip and have 10,000 miles and close to home?

Great that fellow RV'ers stopped to lend a hand.

Did your TPS system alarm on temperature or pressure?


TPMS did not go off. Fire was confined to grease in the hub of the wheel. Thankfully, the fire extinguisher got it out before it caught the tire of underbelly.

Our first trip was 3 months long. We just happened to be returning and close to home when it happened.
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,907
Glad all worked out for the best for , thanks for the heads up.
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenwoth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
Bearing was destroyed beyond recognition and I was more interested in getting off the highway. I didnít look that close. Iíll have to look at the others when I pull them.

I would not be surprised at all if they donít say China on them. The ones I stuck in there to get home did. I was only 50 miles from home so I didnít care.

Infrared is a great idea by the way, I donít know if it would have detected it as it wasnít hot to touch 80 miles prior but Iím getting one anyway.

I hope everybody out there keeps their fire extinguisher checked also. Without it, we could have well had severe damage or completely lost this rig.

It sure doesn't take long for a bearing to become unrecognizable once the 1st ball starts catching. Overheated bearings were btw. the most common cause of fire on combines back in my farming days, more so than chaff collecting around the exhaust manifold, and it's not hard to imagine how quickly these fires escalate when they find the right fuel.

I use my infrared thermometer on every stop we make on the road to see if there are temperature differences between the tires, hubs and brakes on the same side - the sunny side is always slightly hotter. These issues usually start slowly and then accelerate over the course of the day or days, a 2 psi lower pressure or a higher load on one tire for example increases the temperature reading slightly for that particular tire. The same applies to bearings, a higher load, lack of grease or damage increases the temperature to the point that it can cause a tire to overheat and blow.
What I am learning from your unfortunate incidence is that the fire extinguisher in our bedroom is too far out of reach and the one near the door is way to small to make an impact, I should probably put one in the truck behind the seat.
__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt AGM Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
I had this happen with my previous TT (SOB) when it was just over 2 years old and only 4000 miles on it near Grand Ave. on the 101 in Phoenix, AZ.

I got to use my fire extinguisher as well!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post

What I am learning from your unfortunate incidence is that the fire extinguisher in our bedroom is too far out of reach and the one near the door is way to small to make an impact, I should probably put one in the truck behind the seat.
Along with the two extinguishers inside my 5'ver, I also mounted one on each side just inside the basement doors.

I had the same setup in my previous TT...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Gold Tee Box
 
Teetime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
Fellow Riverstone owners, wanted to give a heads up. It could just be a freak thing but I lost the outer bearing with less than 10,000 miles on our 2018 38FB. It also caught the grease on fire which thankfully I got out before any damage to the trailer.

I lucked out as I was close enough to home for my son to bring me some new bearings. I always have a set onboard but as this was a new rig I didnít bother to get them before heading out on our first trip. (Big dummy) Big thanks also to a fellow RVer (Paul) who stopped to assist. He lived nearby and was kind enough to take the hub to his shop to press one of the stubborn races in for me and helped until we were safely on our way.

Riverstone and Dexter are stepping up to make it right, but as this is a safety issue, I wanted to put it out there. Please keep an eye on yours even if itís new. I had just done a walk around about 80 miles prior and all was ok.

As for Good Sam roadside assistance, all I can say is that I wonít be renewing. I had 3 different RV owners including Paul stop and see if they could help. As a group, RVers are the best roadside assistance you can ever have.

Take care yíall and be safe,
Ed
Attachment 190637Attachment 190638

After years of towing including boats, I always do a hand check on the hubs when we stop to see if I may have a hot hub/bearing.

Wondering if you were able to determine what was the root cause...bearings too tight, not grease packed properly, just bad bearings?
__________________

__________________
Success is hiring someone to mow your lawn so you can play golf for exercise.
2018 GMC 2500 Duramax Denali
2018 Coachman Freedom Express 287BHDS
42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bearings

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.