Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Bearings

Fellow Riverstone owners, wanted to give a heads up. It could just be a freak thing but I lost the outer bearing with less than 10,000 miles on our 2018 38FB. It also caught the grease on fire which thankfully I got out before any damage to the trailer.

I lucked out as I was close enough to home for my son to bring me some new bearings. I always have a set onboard but as this was a new rig I didn’t bother to get them before heading out on our first trip. (Big dummy) Big thanks also to a fellow RVer (Paul) who stopped to assist. He lived nearby and was kind enough to take the hub to his shop to press one of the stubborn races in for me and helped until we were safely on our way.

Riverstone and Dexter are stepping up to make it right, but as this is a safety issue, I wanted to put it out there. Please keep an eye on yours even if it’s new. I had just done a walk around about 80 miles prior and all was ok.

As for Good Sam roadside assistance, all I can say is that I won’t be renewing. I had 3 different RV owners including Paul stop and see if they could help. As a group, RVers are the best roadside assistance you can ever have.

Take care y’all and be safe,
Ed
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9666.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	190637Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9668.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	190638
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #2

Thanks for posting this, I sure hope it was a coincidence and as bad as at was you still dodged the bullet. I'm curious if you know whether the OEM bearings were of Asian or domestic origin.
I've been carrying an infrared thermometer for the last 10 years or so hoping to detect abnormal heat on the tires, bearings and brakes before it becomes a major issue, so far...... knock on wood.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

10,000 miles - first trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
Fellow Riverstone owners, wanted to give a heads up. It could just be a freak thing but I lost the outer bearing with less than 10,000 miles on our 2018 38FB. It also caught the grease on fire which thankfully I got out before any damage to the trailer.

I lucked out as I was close enough to home for my son to bring me some new bearings. I always have a set onboard but as this was a new rig I didn’t bother to get them before heading out on our first trip. (Big dummy) Big thanks also to a fellow RVer (Paul) who stopped to assist. He lived nearby and was kind enough to take the hub to his shop to press one of the stubborn races in for me and helped until we were safely on our way.

Riverstone and Dexter are stepping up to make it right, but as this is a safety issue, I wanted to put it out there. Please keep an eye on yours even if it’s new. I had just done a walk around about 80 miles prior and all was ok.

As for Good Sam roadside assistance, all I can say is that I won’t be renewing. I had 3 different RV owners including Paul stop and see if they could help. As a group, RVers are the best roadside assistance you can ever have.

Ed
Attachment 190637Attachment 190638

Glad you got pulled over before much damage was done.

Guess I don't understand how this could be your first trip and have 10,000 miles and close to home?

Great that fellow RV'ers stopped to lend a hand.

Did your TPS system alarm on temperature or pressure?

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Thanks for posting this, I sure hope it was a coincidence and as bad as at was you still dodged the bullet. I'm curious if you know whether the OEM bearings were of Asian or domestic origin.
I've been carrying an infrared thermometer for the last 10 years or so hoping to detect abnormal heat on the tires, bearings and brakes before it becomes a major issue, so far...... knock on wood.

Bearing was destroyed beyond recognition and I was more interested in getting off the highway. I didn’t look that close. I’ll have to look at the others when I pull them.

I would not be surprised at all if they don’t say China on them. The ones I stuck in there to get home did. I was only 50 miles from home so I didn’t care.

Infrared is a great idea by the way, I don’t know if it would have detected it as it wasn’t hot to touch 80 miles prior but I’m getting one anyway.

I hope everybody out there keeps their fire extinguisher checked also. Without it, we could have well had severe damage or completely lost this rig.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
Glad you got pulled over before much damage was done.

Guess I don't understand how this could be your first trip and have 10,000 miles and close to home?

Great that fellow RV'ers stopped to lend a hand.

Did your TPS system alarm on temperature or pressure?

TPMS did not go off. Fire was confined to grease in the hub of the wheel. Thankfully, the fire extinguisher got it out before it caught the tire of underbelly.

Our first trip was 3 months long. We just happened to be returning and close to home when it happened.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

Glad all worked out for the best for , thanks for the heads up.
dblr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Bearing was destroyed beyond recognition and I was more interested in getting off the highway. I didn’t look that close. I’ll have to look at the others when I pull them.

I would not be surprised at all if they don’t say China on them. The ones I stuck in there to get home did. I was only 50 miles from home so I didn’t care.

Infrared is a great idea by the way, I don’t know if it would have detected it as it wasn’t hot to touch 80 miles prior but I’m getting one anyway.

I hope everybody out there keeps their fire extinguisher checked also. Without it, we could have well had severe damage or completely lost this rig.

It sure doesn't take long for a bearing to become unrecognizable once the 1st ball starts catching. Overheated bearings were btw. the most common cause of fire on combines back in my farming days, more so than chaff collecting around the exhaust manifold, and it's not hard to imagine how quickly these fires escalate when they find the right fuel.

I use my infrared thermometer on every stop we make on the road to see if there are temperature differences between the tires, hubs and brakes on the same side - the sunny side is always slightly hotter. These issues usually start slowly and then accelerate over the course of the day or days, a 2 psi lower pressure or a higher load on one tire for example increases the temperature reading slightly for that particular tire. The same applies to bearings, a higher load, lack of grease or damage increases the temperature to the point that it can cause a tire to overheat and blow.
What I am learning from your unfortunate incidence is that the fire extinguisher in our bedroom is too far out of reach and the one near the door is way to small to make an impact, I should probably put one in the truck behind the seat.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I had this happen with my previous TT (SOB) when it was just over 2 years old and only 4000 miles on it near Grand Ave. on the 101 in Phoenix, AZ.

I got to use my fire extinguisher as well!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

What I am learning from your unfortunate incidence is that the fire extinguisher in our bedroom is too far out of reach and the one near the door is way to small to make an impact, I should probably put one in the truck behind the seat.
Along with the two extinguishers inside my 5'ver, I also mounted one on each side just inside the basement doors.

I had the same setup in my previous TT...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Gold Tee Box

Quote:

Ed
Attachment 190637Attachment 190638

After years of towing including boats, I always do a hand check on the hubs when we stop to see if I may have a hot hub/bearing.

Wondering if you were able to determine what was the root cause...bearings too tight, not grease packed properly, just bad bearings?

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
It sure doesn't take long for a bearing to become unrecognizable once the 1st ball starts catching. Overheated bearings were btw. the most common cause of fire on combines back in my farming days, more so than chaff collecting around the exhaust manifold, and it's not hard to imagine how quickly these fires escalate when they find the right fuel.

I use my infrared thermometer on every stop we make on the road to see if there are temperature differences between the tires, hubs and brakes on the same side - the sunny side is always slightly hotter. These issues usually start slowly and then accelerate over the course of the day or days, a 2 psi lower pressure or a higher load on one tire for example increases the temperature reading slightly for that particular tire. The same applies to bearings, a higher load, lack of grease or damage increases the temperature to the point that it can cause a tire to overheat and blow.

You are correct on all! I grew up on a farm too and bearings, belts, engine parts all were a huge concern. My dad had a mounted corn picker that caught fire once and you sat right in the middle of the fire on those things. We had a couple of combine fires as well. Didn’t have any infrared thermometers in those days!

The good thing was, I was the chief bearing grease packer and replacer. Funny, I never saw myself in those days ever doing it on an RV or even getting the time to travel and do such a thing. My dad always said “you need to learn how to do everything you can because you never know when it will come in handy”. You just can’t beat a good old common sense farm education!

We live in MD and while it was a pain going to get a class A license to drive this rig legally, one of the requirements is that you have to have a readily accessible fire extinguisher in the tow vehicle. Another very good education!

TPMS is good but no help in this situation. I am pretty obsessive about my walk around, but Infrared on order this week.

Thanks for the good ideas and insights!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
After years of towing including boats, I always do a hand check on the hubs when we stop to see if I may have a hot hub/bearing.

Wondering if you were able to determine what was the root cause...bearings too tight, not grease packed properly, just bad bearings?

Just did a walk around hand smell test 80 miles prior and all ok. It doesn’t take long at 55 mph.

I have not totally reviewed everything yet, but what I can say is that there was still grease in the hub and inner bearing as you see in the pictures. It looks black but that is mostly due to fire.

There is some scoring on the axle but that could have occurred after things overheated and flew apart.

The retaining nut was very hard to break loose but it had been so hot the flat washer behind it had melted and folded over it, so i think it was seized from all of the heat.

If I find anything else out, I will post it.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:

Here are some better pictures. To answer your question about China, the inner bearing is marked China. The outer bearing in burnt so bad you can’t read anything on it, but I would be shocked if it was not from China as well.

Inner bearing was still for of grease as rolls ok. The is some light scratching on the rollers but it could have been caused by the failed bearing debris.

If I had pulled it for maintenance I would have changed it. The marks aren’t normal.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9678.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	190724Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9679.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	190725
Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #14

US Made Bearings

Quote:
Here are some better pictures. To answer your question about China, the inner bearing is marked China. The outer bearing in burnt so bad you can’t read anything on it, but I would be shocked if it was not from China as well.

Inner bearing was still for of grease as rolls ok. The is some light scratching on the rollers but it could have been caused by the failed bearing debris.

If I had pulled it for maintenance I would have changed it. The marks aren’t normal.Attachment 190724Attachment 190725
jacgec, if and when you find a US bearing manufacturer for the Dexter 8k axles, we (at least I) would appreciate you letting us know the details where you can buy, P/Ns, etc.. Glad you didn't have any more damage to your coach and that you were close to home!

Noel
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
waybeck2018

Wheel Bearings

We had a similar event this August. TT had about 4000 miles from a trip to New England and other trips last year, so being prudent I had all wheels repacked and check at a local RV Dealer. Off we went. 1643 miles later on I90 just outside Rapid City...black smoke and I mean lots of it.
For once Good Sam worked well and a local company came and adjusted the wheels so I could limp the 16 miles (at 50 MPH) to a recommended shop in Rapid City. They fixed me up and I was on my way again to finish the trip. But at a cost since I had all 4 wheels redone by this trailer company. I will add that I had checked all tires and inflated back to normal that morning before leaving the campground. I checked all for heat before leaving last diesel stop, as usual. I made the additional 4300 miles and home with no problems.
I have to add, the RV Dealership at home reimbursed me for all the cost in Rapid City. (BTW, it was NOT Camping World)
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #16

Many thanks for the update.
I'll sure as heck replace all bearings asap, not my favorite job but I'm not gonna put it on the back burner, the trailer is our home.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Just did a walk around hand smell test 80 miles prior and all ok. It doesn’t take long at 55 mph.

I have not totally reviewed everything yet, but what I can say is that there was still grease in the hub and inner bearing as you see in the pictures. It looks black but that is mostly due to fire.

There is some scoring on the axle but that could have occurred after things overheated and flew apart.

The retaining nut was very hard to break loose but it had been so hot the flat washer behind it had melted and folded over it, so i think it was seized from all of the heat.

If I find anything else out, I will post it.
Isn't the Flat washer you said was melted and folded over really the "Lock for the Nut"? There is No Cottter Pin in this style Lock! Youroo!!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You mentioned Riverstone and Dexter stepping up but didn't go into detail. Not that you need to disclose any information you don't want to, I'll ask the question, unless you are getting replacement axles, are you comfortable enough with the spindle and hub to just replace bearings? I doubt I would be.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Isn't the Flat washer you said was melted and folded over really the "Lock for the Nut"? There is No Cottter Pin in this style Lock! Youroo!!

This particular axle uses a cap style lock not a cotter pin. The washer that was melted was the flat washer that goes right in front of the outer bearing behind the retaining nut.

You can see what’s left of it in the picture as well as the cap lock.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You mentioned Riverstone and Dexter stepping up but didn't go into detail. Not that you need to disclose any information you don't want to, I'll ask the question, unless you are getting replacement axles, are you comfortable enough with the spindle and hub to just replace bearings? I doubt I would be.

I don’t mind saying what they are doing and I have no complaints. I have a lot more to be thankful for than to complain about.

After seeing the pictures, without question or any dispute they are replacing the axle.

Very quick response from Riverstone.

Thanks for asking and be careful out there.

Tags
bearings