Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Black water issues

We are new to the Full-Time RV life and I have a question about Black Water issues. Currently, our black water tank is stuck at 33% no matter what we do.
We have used the water sprayer inside to wash out the tank, used an additive to help break down waste, etc. We only use the recommended toilet paper etc. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Are we missing any steps, etc.

2018 Riverstone 39FK
jdmoody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Our 38FB2 has the same issues. We will be moving to a new location in a couple of weeks, have read that sometimes this helps with stuck sensors. After dumping our tanks completely they still read 33% on both black tanks and the shower gray tank. The kitchen gray tank will go back to zero. No solids have been deposited in our black tanks, only liquids so far.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmoody09 View Post
We are new to the Full-Time RV life and I have a question about Black Water issues. Currently, our black water tank is stuck at 33% no matter what we do.
We have used the water sprayer inside to wash out the tank, used an additive to help break down waste, etc. We only use the recommended toilet paper etc. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Are we missing any steps, etc.

2018 Riverstone 39FK
If your talking about 33% on the gauge forget about it. They seldom work correctly. Have new sensors added to the outside of your tank. If you have a straight shot down from the toilet to the tank, use a stick to measure. Think dipstick on your car.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Just prior to driving add 20# of ice in the toilet and add a few curves. Calgon water softener, borax and dawn dish soap help but you need to drive a lot with tank filled with about 1/3 water.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I will let my hubby know. Appreciate all the tips and info.
jdmoody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

x2
It's probably a tank sensor issue and cleaning those sensors is difficult. You've done what you can... so don't worry about it. Most of us have learned to live with some problems with the sensors.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Just prior to driving add 20# of ice in the toilet and add a few curves. Calgon water softener, borax and dawn dish soap help but you need to drive a lot with tank filled with about 1/3 water.

Jack
How much Calgon do you use top treat the black water tank ? I think my tank is 37 gallons.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

Try backflush valve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backflush fitting.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	176648  
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
How much Calgon do you use top treat the black water tank ? I think my tank is 37 gallons.
There are posts and u-tubes that debunk the ice idea. So I don't bother.

I use the liquid Calgon and Dawn. I use the cap on the Calgon bottle and put 1 cap full of each every time I dump the tank. Also add a gallon or 3 of water to the empty tank. I've gone back and forth a few times of having a sensor not read properly then get cleaned off.

I've looked at the See View monitor system mentioned above that mounts the sensors on the outside of the tank. But at $300-$500 plus the effort or cost needed to install, I've decided to live with what I have.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The sensors are notoriously inaccurate.

Unless you believe your tank isn't fully draining and leaving 1/3 in it, I wouldn't be to concerned with the gauge.

Do you use a clear elbow or extension at the sewer port on the side of your rig?
If so, you'll know whether it is draining.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmoody09 View Post

2018 Riverstone 39FK
If your black holding tank is a straight shot from the toilet; at your next dump with the black tank cleanout connected turn on the cleanout faucet then open the dump valve. When the dump has ceased to the cleanout water flow close the dump valve and allow the tank to fill up (monitor quantity through toilet and/or sensor lights) (the tank will not fill up instantaneously; it will take some time) then open dump valve with cleanout faucet still open. When tank is again empty except for cleanout water flow shut down cleanout and close dump valve. The monitor lights should show empty within a few seconds. If this does not occur then, more than likely, you have a sensor issue. DO NOT LEAVE THIS PROCEDURE UNATENDED!!!
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #12

I have been using the geo method since we got ours, one cap laundry detergent and one cap Calgon and of course water, more water of it's a travel day to slosh around a bit. Also use the black flush first to hopefully get out as much as possible, our gauges do read empty after a good cleaning.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
When the dump has ceased to the cleanout water flow close the dump valve and allow the tank to fill up (monitor quantity through toilet and/or sensor lights) (the tank will not fill up instantaneously; it will take some time) then open dump valve with cleanout faucet still open. When tank is again empty except for cleanout water flow shut down cleanout and close dump valve. The monitor lights should show empty within a few seconds. If this does not occur then, more than likely, you have a sensor issue. DO NOT LEAVE THIS PROCEDURE UNATENDED!!!
You should never do this, but I do it all the time and so do a lot of others. It seems to keep the sensors clean. As bubbles said, keep a close eye on the level when running the flush with the dump valve closed. I also use Calgon or Borax and Tide or Dawn.

Even when they were working, the sensors on the Rockwood were way off. 2 gallons would turn on the 1/3 Full LED.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #14

The sensors are not worth fooling with. I never use them. After awhile you will know how long it takes to fill the tanks. Of course we have had three campers before the sensors were even thought of.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
You should never do this, but I do it all the time and so do a lot of others. It seems to keep the sensors clean. As bubbles said, keep a close eye on the level when running the flush with the dump valve closed. I also use Calgon or Borax and Tide or Dawn.

Even when they were working, the sensors on the Rockwood were way off. 2 gallons would turn on the 1/3 Full LED.
Been using Blue Streak and this procedure for 10 years without incident and always a correct reading on the factory installed black tank quantity indices (LED's).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:04 AM   #16

I had an issue with the sensors on my 2018 21FBRS reading 2/3 full after dumping. I filled and flushed repeatedly and no change. When I left the campground, I stopped and put in a 20 lb bag of ice and when I got home, my sensor on the black tank read empty. Cheap and easy fix for me.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #17

I stopped relying on the sensors many years ago. When the toilet burps(big air bubble) upon flushing it, it's almost time to dump the tank. Again and I can't stress it enough, don't get side tracked when using the black tank flush or bad things will happen. Don't ask......
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #18

The only gauges I know of that work accurately all the time are "See Level" aftermarket gauges, if you want to go thru the expense of changing them out. X2 on most everything above said about flushing.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #19
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I stopped relying on the sensors many years ago. When the toilet burps(big air bubble) upon flushing it, it's almost time to dump the tank.

My method - since from day one on our Cardinal the level indicators have never worked correctly.

Quote:
Again and I can't stress it enough, don't get side tracked when using the black tank flush or bad things will happen. Don't ask......

Haven't had the experience...and I hope never to have the experience. Unless I'm standing right beside the trailer waiting...I always open the drain valve. I know my excellent ability to get distracted.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Haven't had the experience...and I hope never to have the experience. Unless I'm standing right beside the trailer waiting...I always open the drain valve. I know my excellent ability to get distracted.
I’ve had the experience. Water started to pour off of the roof. Nothing inside got wet.

Bruce

Tags
black, black water, water