Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #1

Dryer Question

My DW used our washer and dryer for the first time today. The washer did fine just like the one in our home only smaller LOL. The dryer however not so much. After 60 mins she says the clothes are still damp, so I start checking things out. Started with the outside vent. The flapper in the vent was barely opening with the exhaust so I got a clothes pin to hold it open while the dryer ran. A slight improvement was noticed but the 2nd load of clothes still took longer than she is used to. The dryer is heating as is normal, no lint in the trap, etc. Is it just that these dryers don’t do as well as conventional 220v electric units? Ie,. take more time to fully dry a load.

Appreciate the feedback,

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

That is correct. 110 volt will take much longer time. Do very small loads. Use a laundromat when possible.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

Maybe let the Lord dry them outside?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Forest River Forums mobile app
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
DDC

Whatever it takes at home add on about two thirds.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #5

You probably have the same Ariston washer/dryer setup we do. I would say you have a restriction in the vent hose if the flapper on the outside won't stay open.

I do most of the laundry, I used the high heat setting when we first got the unit but I soon learned the intense heat would damage the clothes and it only takes a few minutes longer on the "cool" setting and less clothes is more. For cotton I set the timer to around 100 - 110 minutes, synthetics 60 - 90 minutes, a king size sheet set 60 minutes and really heavy clothes like wool 120 minutes. I find the dryer doesn't work that well on automatic and is obviously to small for king size duvets.
Regardless, inspect the vent hose and make sure it is properly connected and free of restrictions.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We don't have a W/D but it's W/D ready... EVERYONE we've spoken with about upgrading to this accessory has complained about the dryer's inability to do a good job in a timely manner.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #7

Sounds like the dryer vent may be kinked/crushed behind the unit. There isn’t much room back there so it would be easy to do. It should blow the vent cap open without any trouble.

It is true that the dryer is slower, however it does do a good job. Laundromat’s are no fun and get expensive on the road. Sometimes the campground laundry equipment is in pretty poor shape as well.

We added one to our old Cedar Creek and it came with the Riverstone. We wouldn’t want to be without it now.

Happy camping!!
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #8

Thanks all for your help, looks like more investigation behind the dryer is in order. Any thoughts on what I need to do to access the space. There is a brace on top of the dryer that prevents it from tipping over. I had to retighten the screws holding it in place as they were very loose.

Pete
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

It’s been a few years but I think it would go something like this.

First remove the brace at the top that you are familiar with.
If I remember right you would the remove the strip at the base of the dryer. I think it snaps off.

Behind that strip there is a couple of screws to remove that lock down the front of the dryer.

Then I believe you may have to either tilt or slide the dryer back/forward to slip the lock plates apart and remove the dryer.

It is very, very tight in there and it will try your patience. The good news is the dryer is pretty light to handle.

Best of luck!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
It’s been a few years but I think it would go something like this.

First remove the brace at the top that you are familiar with.
If I remember right you would the remove the strip at the base of the dryer. I think it snaps off.

Behind that strip there is a couple of screws to remove that lock down the front of the dryer.

Then I believe you may have to either tilt or slide the dryer back/forward to slip the lock plates apart and remove the dryer.

It is very, very tight in there and it will try your patience. The good news is the dryer is pretty light to handle.

Best of luck!!!
Thanks for information, I did remove the plastic strip at the bottom you referenced and I see the mounting strip. Will check this out further, still takes much longer for the clothes to dry than my DW is used to. Just curious since we have the same year and model, does your dryer take so much time to fully dry your clothes?

Pete
Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #11

Yes, it takes a lot longer and you will notice that the dryer doesn’t get very hot either.

My wife usually washes a load while we watch tv in the evening and starts that one drying while she starts a second load.

It probably takes the dryer twice as long as a normal residential unit.

Good luck