Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Furrion: Gas vs Induction

Does anyone know from experience which is better? I know the induction cook top pretty much comes standard in the RiverStone line but I've seen the gas cooktop w/ oven combination (from Furrion, well both the induction and the gas are from them) and was wondering which may be better in terms of quality/lasting the longest.

The only real advantage I can see from the gas top and oven is better boon docking and the 3rd burner. Although the cooktop is tight as is it would probably be difficult fitting a 3rd pot/pan on there :/
RainbowLiquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

We plan to go with induction. We have never used the gas cooktop or the oven in our current rig. Have a nuwave portable that we use plus the outside grill. Personal preference I guess but by not going with the gas unit we would have extra cabinet space. The convection oven in our sob works fine.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

We have the gas cook top and gas oven, I can see the additional heat being a problem in southern climates but here it's more than welcome (snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow). Most of the campgrounds that we go to only have 30 Amp service where an electric induction cooktop can be challenging.
The gas burners are indeed spaced quite close together and leave next to no room to use the center burner, we do carry a NuWave induction plate for when she needs the extra burner. The gas oven is nice, the temperature control selector is as inaccurate as can be, the digital temperature display on the other hand is spot on. My wife has used the oven for everything from baking bread and cake to roast, the results are the same as from the convection oven, bread maybe comes out a bit nicer out of the gas oven.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Keep in mind with the induction top cooking you need certain cookware, if a magnet sticks to the bottom you are good to go. We have the induction and it takes getting used to, sometimes smaller pots and pans will not work, why I do not know. The highest heat setting I think is 10 but if using both burners you have to split that so for both burners it would have to equal 10 or less. If we are doing something wrong please let us know as we are still in the learning process with this type.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

I asked my wife today how she likes her induction cooktop. She said it took a little getting used to, but she now likes it better in some ways than the old gass or electric.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Keep in mind with the induction top cooking you need certain cookware, if a magnet sticks to the bottom you are good to go. We have the induction and it takes getting used to, sometimes smaller pots and pans will not work, why I do not know. The highest heat setting I think is 10 but if using both burners you have to split that so for both burners it would have to equal 10 or less. If we are doing something wrong please let us know as we are still in the learning process with this type.
Small pots and pans may not have enough magnetic strength in the bottom, you can buy magnetic discs on Amazon or ebay, they come in different sizes to closely match the bottom of the pot but do slightly restrict the heat transfer. However, the proper cookware is still the better option and these discs aren't cheap.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We replaced an electric resistance cook-top with an induction cook-top at home a couple of years ago, and DW loves it. Clean-up is a dream, and if you think something might boil over or spill, put a kitchen towel or paper towel under it. The pan gets hot but the towel does not. Yes, induction cooking takes some getting used to, especially how fast a pan will heat-up and how fast it stops heating up when taken off the burner. These units have been in use in Europe for many years, and are only now becoming popular in the US. We would have one in our TT, but we boon-dock most of the time and running a genny to use the cook-top would be a hassle. Happy with the 3-burner gas unit and occasional microwave in the TT.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

When we looked at the Riverstone and saw that it had an induction cooktop and a convection microwave, we were a little skeptical how the two would work for us, since we were use to the usual gas cooktop and oven. We had a Nuwave induction portable unit so we had the pans that would work on the Riverstones' induction unit.

After having this coach a year and a half now, we have gotten use to the convection microwave (it actuating cooks better that the gas oven ever did) and I have found that the induction cooktop heats faster that the gas cooktop and the Nuwave. The only draw back is you have to be on shore power or a generator to cook on ether the induction cooktop and microwave.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas