Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

HELP with decision "URGENT"

Thought i was buying a 2017 Keystone Montana legacy for $52,500 but found a 2017 Riverstone Legacy 38RE for $58,900 and like the legacy for the 6k difference. Wife loves the front living on Montana but saw pics of the legacy and said WOW. What should i do? I have made a deposit of $500 on the Montana and it is within an hours drive, or lose deposit and drive 5 hours for legacy?
firecapt176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
D W

If you can contemplate throwing $500 away then I suspect you've already made up your mind.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt176 View Post
Thought i was buying a 2017 Keystone Montana legacy for $52,500 but found a 2017 Riverstone Legacy 38RE for $58,900 and like the legacy for the 6k difference. Wife loves the front living on Montana but saw pics of the legacy and said WOW. What should i do? I have made a deposit of $500 on the Montana and it is within an hours drive, or lose deposit and drive 5 hours for legacy?
I'm not being a smarty pants but there is no way for us to make YOUR decision.

If the Legacy is truly the model you want, $500 shouldn't stop you.

Have you told the Legacy dealer you put a $500 non-refundable deposit on another rig but want the Legacy and that is all that is stopping you? If they are a GOOD dealer they'll knock $500 off the $58,900 price and everybody is happy!

Oh... and i see it's your first post... welcome!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
My first thought is go to the closest dealer. Any follow up work always happens best at the dealer of origin.
Our warranty work was greatly complicated by being too far from our dealer.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Have you made a large purchase before on your own decision making, or do you make decisions like this via consensus from people you don't know?

Have you negotiated these prices at all or are these simply the advertised prices?

Seriously - buy the one you and your wife like, and can see yourselves in. Tell the Riverstone dealer you want $1000 off and you'll seal the deal. I bet he will drop a grand off the price to sell it.

Mike
Old 10-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

Welcome!

Tell the other dealer your situation. most will try to take care of you. you can always go back to the first dealer and ask for your deposit back. you never know, they may give it to you. It does not matter where you buy from. you can always use an independent tech for any warranty work (they will probably do a better and faster job too). Get the trailer you want the first time. too many of us buy one, and wish and hope for the other one soon after.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

I'm a little confused because you referred to BOTH as "legacy"
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
My first thought is go to the closest dealer. Any follow up work always happens best at the dealer of origin.
Our warranty work was greatly complicated by being too far from our dealer.
This is not always the case or best choice.
Many have bought local, only to find that they get lousy service from them.
I bought our first trailer from a dealer 2000 miles away.
Brought it home and FR found 3 local dealers willing to do warranty work. And if they hadn't, I could have used an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. I just had to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #9

Also regarding the "URGENT" in your post title...

It's the end of the RV season in a lot of the country, meaning the US, but certainly Canada as well. You didn't say where you are located but I have to imagine it is a slow time for RV sales and therefor it is a probably a buyer's market and the units you are looking at are not flying out the door. I know it is exciting but you'd probably be better off to pump the brakes and carefully consider how you are going to spend around $50,000. It sounds like you haven't even seen at least one of these units in person so I think that would probably give you a vastly better understanding of which one works best for you.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Are both units new or used? The RiverStone 38RE is a $100K unit new, not sure about the Montana price. My money would be on the RiverStone, but it’s your $$$, your decision.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

X2 what Mr Towed said.

Take a step back and breathe. This is some significant $$$ here and to have not even “crawled around” in them.

Just sayin’

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
Are both units new or used? The RiverStone 38RE is a $100K unit new, not sure about the Montana price. My money would be on the RiverStone, but it’s your $$$, your decision.

Pete
They are both used units. The wife looks at Montana and decides it lacks closet space (no place to hang dresses, just shirts), so salesman shows her a new 2018 Keystone Alpine with front kitchen and she fell in love with it, but i thought the model lacked luxury and it was priced at $62,900. I still would rather have the Riverstone, especially the luxury and quality far exceeds the Alpine. If she is stuck on the front kitchen, the Cedar Creek Champagne series offers a front kitchen for $69,000 and i feel like thats a better luxury model than Alpine. I was really looking for y'all to say to buy the Riverstone for that unbelievable price of $59,500 because it retails for $89,000.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
X2 what Mr Towed said.

Take a step back and breathe. This is some significant $$$ here and to have not even “crawled around” in them.

Just sayin’
I have looked at several models, enough to know they advertise luxury, but get inside and it feels cheap. I have not been inside a Riverstone, but viewed their 360 on website and WOW they are nice. Wife only cares about the small things she likes, but i want quality and better resale value.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #14

When we purchased our 5er Montana was a serious consideration. But, without question, a Riverstone Legacy is a much better coach. Frame, brakes, axle, tires and on, and on.

PLUS, Riverstone has provided excellent warranty support. Unhappy with the dealer, we contacted Jeff Holmes at Riverstone Warranty. He has been EXCELLENT. The man understands the product and customer satisfaction. I'm doing most, if not all of the labor, and Jeff is providing parts. He also authorized a mobile service if we prefer.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #15

My 2 cts.

Don't rush it both units are used, do background checks on both. Otherwise, the RS comes with standard features like 3 1/4" insulated hung walls, real insulation in floor and ceiling, electric fireplace, an electric heater in the bedroom that works amazingly well, all dual pane windows, heated tanks, Ariston washer and dryer and Fisher Paycal dishwasher. Does the Montana have 6k or 7k axles, the RS has 8k axles with disc brakes and a 21k TrailAir pinbox. But - the RE is heavy, much heavier than any Montana.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #16

Quote:
I have looked at several models, enough to know they advertise luxury, but get inside and it feels cheap. I have not been inside a Riverstone, but viewed their 360 on website and WOW they are nice. Wife only cares about the small things she likes, but i want quality and better resale value.
Are you going to be full time in your new coach? My wife and I looked at every 5er out there during our 18 month search. Kept coming back to The a RiverStone because of the quality and standard features that come with the unit. For me it’s the small details in the construction and my wife wanted space, comforts, storage, etc. as we transitioned from our sticks and bricks to the coach full time. Another nice feature is you won’t see many other RiverStone’s wherever you go and they sure do turn heads.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #17

We spent more than a year searching for the ideal fiver.

We purchased a Cedar Creek Hathaway.

Higher priced than others. However, the differences were everywhere.

Shop, shop, shop. Only you can figure this out.

We bought from a big discount dealer, service was outstanding. Sort of no negotiations. Best price up front.

They did a PDI before I got there. Everything was virtually perfect. They missed the hdmi arc cable was plugged in wrong!

All cost stuff related to rv’s is wild!

I am sure I invested 1,000 hours in the decision.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Having previously owned a Montana and now a 38RE, there is a huge difference in quality (you may want to join the Montana forum and read about some of the recent issues with manufacturing). Not saying the RiverStone is perfect, since we have had a few issues, but it is built better. Pay close attention to the Montana slider sizes when Schwintek mechanisms are used; my 38RE only has them on the small living room slides in the back. Also, we love the 38RE full width storage under the rear living room. Montana has a unit that has that (I believe it is called a 3791 model), but like has been previously stated, you won't have 8K axles, probably not H rated Goodyear tires, disc brakes, etc.

One of the big reasons I switched 5ers was the lack of storage in my Montana model, whereas the 38RE has tons of storage.

My 2c. Your decision.

Noel
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
Are you going to be full time in your new coach? My wife and I looked at every 5er out there during our 18 month search. Kept coming back to The a RiverStone because of the quality and standard features that come with the unit. For me it’s the small details in the construction and my wife wanted space, comforts, storage, etc. as we transitioned from our sticks and bricks to the coach full time. Another nice feature is you won’t see many other RiverStone’s wherever you go and they sure do turn heads.

Pete
I think i have her talked into it.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #20

Question, I have a 3500 Duramax, but not a dually and will this 1 ton pull this weight of a camper?