Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Just do a lousy job of it and they'll take over! It's the story of my life.
I see your point.

But, two issues.

One, I LOVE TO EAT.

Two, I can cook the things I like to eat!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Which stops a good Southern boy from making milk gravy.....cause you have to lift the pan off the heat, stir, put it back on, repeat, repeat, repeat, till it's gravy! Remove the pan from induction, at least on our NuWave, and it errors out and stops working. Maybe these are different.
I don't have any trouble making gravy on my NuWave. I just set it to the temp I want that gets it bubbling without burning. I don't use the preset temps.

Ditto with soups and sauces.

Nice thing about the portable NuWave is that it has multiple power (wattage) settings so you can use it at the same time as other appliances without maxing out a circuit or generator.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #23
Bill & Janet

Our 360 DS came with the gas stove. It also has an overhead convection/microwave oven. We bought a couple of induction hot plates. My wife uses them 99% of the time when we cook inside the motorhome. The stove has the countertop covers for the burners giving us more counter space. But if we need the stove we have. Never had any problems running two induction plates and an electric skillet at the same time.

km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #24

We have a gas stove in the trailer, but, when we remodeled our house, we put in an induction stove. It has an all glass top (like most do now) but our controls are in the front so you don't have to reach over any hot pans to turn off the heat. We had to buy new pots and pans for the induction and got a great deal on a full set at Costco. After using this stove for two years plus, it has really become for us the only way to go. In the trailer, I always worry as my wife has to reach over the gas stove to get to the microwave, that a piece of sweater, or clothing will catch fire on the gas flame or the grandchild will put his hand in the fire to see what it is. With induction, there is no flame and you can set a paper plate right next to the pan without fear of fire. After a short time of getting used to the settings, you can cook easily, and more importantly, repeatably, on the induction stove. I don't have to take the pan off to make the gravy, because I can set the exact heat for leaving it on the stove. If I take it off for less than 15 seconds or so and put it back on, (like flipping an egg to the plate) the stove continues with the set heat. Ours has 4 burners and a warming area (conventional electric) to warm and keep warm plates and finished foods. Except when we have family over, we mostly use just two burners. Also, if young children are around, they won't burn themselves quite so easily (except on a hot pot itself) by touching the stovetop. Our daughter absolutely prefers gas for her home cooking and has gas in her new home. All in all, we have come to really like the induction stove though, and would opt for it in the next trailer if it were available, but, for now, it's gas in the trailer which is only 30 amp service, and induction in the house.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Our rig has a three burner gas stove and oven but I always use our NuWave induction pad when possible. It keeps the temperature much more accurately, has a cook timer, it's easy to take outside, free to use on park's electricity and less heat to deal with in the summer.

By what we pay for a night of camping now FREE is a mystery!

Mark And Libby
2011 F-350 4X4 Super Crew
2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Brampton ON.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
My wife and I are having the Great Debate on whether to get the gas stove or the induction in our 38MB. We almost never boondock, and will have a generator regardless. We spend several months at a time in RV resorts without moving. I can't see using propane (for same reason we're passing on the tankless heater) when I have free electric. Also the smooth burner gives you more counter space if you're not cooking. Only downside I see is you have to be selective in your cookware. Am I wrong? What do most of you Riverstone owners have? Thanks

Rusty

Ahhh, let’s see, you and your wife have different opinions so by default you are wrong [emoji23]

But in reality we have gas, wife does not want induction either. Our friends have portable induction like the ones mentioned above for extra cooking area and ease of use outside. That is what I am going to do this season is the portable induction for outside or additional cooking area.

Whatever you do just make sure the wife is happy with it or it will not be worth it [emoji16]
Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #27

Thank you all for your input. I think the best advise is from those who said "whoever does the cooking makes the call" as well as "happy wife happy life". The last thing I want to hear every morning is how much she hates the stove. Bottom line; she can have what she wants. Thanks again everyone.
Rusty
P.S I learned a lot about both systems for your posts.
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #28
On the road again...

Smile

I think if someone wanted to cook for me I would be thrilled with whatever way they wanted to do it!!!
Bottom line, whoever does the cooking gets to decide.

2015 Coachmen Encounter
2001 CRV Toad
Let's go campin'!
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest and Relax View Post
By what we pay for a night of camping now FREE is a mystery!
Free in this conversation means you just don't have to pay more for propane.

On that note, cooking is the least of my propane consumption. Hot water too.

It's the furnace that is the LPG Hog. If I need to get stingy with propane I just dress warmer and leave the T-Stat down around 60 during the day.

Still a lot warmer than my days of tent camping

Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #30

I like to say first I have nothing against induction stove top.
I only caution that They are dangerous to people with "Pacemakers". I wanted one for our camper so I purchased on. After I read it could hurt my wife's pacemaker, so I gave it to my son.
Other than that I would be using it while camping and at home.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
I like to say first I have nothing against induction stove top.
I only caution that They are dangerous to people with "Pacemakers". I wanted one for our camper so I purchased on. After I read it could hurt my wife's pacemaker, so I gave it to my son.
Other than that I would be using it while camping and at home.
So are microwave ovens. Do you still have one of those?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #32

Induction Cookware

With my wife's misgivings, we opted for the induction cook top. She was against buying new pots, since we bought a very good set for our last RV, which had a gas cook top. I've read you can buy pads that will help convert regular pots so you can use then on induction, but not sure on how well that would work. Have also been warned to make sure I get a set that are heavy enough to facilitate the induction process. Since I've pulled the trigger on the cook top I'd like to get a good set of induction cook ware. Can anyone recommend a set they are using and why? Thanks.
Rusty
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #33

If you want non stick, try Swiss Diamond, nice stainless steel is All-Clad 5 ply at Costco. I have both at home.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #34

ICV800, We have the Circulon (Not sure of the spelling), non-stick pots and pans which we also got at Costco and they have been absolutely wonderful. Have had them about 2 years now and they work great. We are using them at home (TT has a gas stove) with our induction range and it works great. Most pans we have tried lose their non-stick qualities pretty quickly and these pans have kept their non-stick longer than any of the others. They are also guaranteed for life and if you are a Costco member, you know they will take them back and replace them no questions asked. All, in all, the Circulon set has been the best pans we have owned and finally found a non-stick that really worked. They aren't cheap but, do go on sale every so often. We use them every day, so they get a lot of use.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #35

By the way, we usually don't go past 5 on the power to the pans. Pots with water can do the "power boil" setting and do fine. Now that we are used to it, we love the induction. You don't have to worry about setting something on fire by just leaning over the stove and the control on the induction is very close to gas - maybe better as you have actual settings for each level. And the kids won't burn their hands if they touch it (but the pans get hot and you can burn yourself on them just like gas) and without the flame a paper plate or dishcloth won't catch fire if it is too close to the burner. On ours, also, the stove automatically shuts off when you take the pan off for more than 15-20 seconds.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #36

There are plates available that allow you to use non-induction pans on induction cooktops. They are diffuser plates that help spread heat evenly to prevent burning, especially when simmering. Also great for gas cooktops where even a low flame can be too hot.

Amazon has then in all sizes from $25 to close to $100.

I use a Nu-Wave induction unit with cast iron. Pan heats quicker and more evenly than gas without the nasty hot spots from gas around the edges.

When an induction unit is off heat stops too. Less lingering heat to warm up the kitchen.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #37

I bought a set of pans at Bed Bath and Beyond a couple of years ago that can be used on induction, gas, or electric burners. Can't remember the name and I had to ask to find them. I don't worry about what pan to use on which burner.

Tags
gas