Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

It won't fit under the tree, so...

Just pulled the trigger on a 2018 1/2 Legacy 38RE, and went through the inspection yesterday at the dealer. Only found six relatively minor items; two were related to the Furrion gas stove and oven. One burner gas valve would not push down far enough to admit gas flow; probably the same issue with the oven since we never were able to light the pilot (could not smell any gas going to the oven).

Since it won't fit underneath our tree, we decided to leave it at the dealer until the snows stops in the spring (main reason is that we have to sell our SOB to make room for the 38RE). So, if any of your friends need a nice 39 foot Montana fifth wheel Hickory Edition, PM me and I will send the details.
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Congratulations, that's what I call an appropriate Christmas present

I'm definitely not interested in a Montana
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

The accent lights have to be on to light the oven . Found out the hard way
dgsearcy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #4

Congrats and welcome to the River Stone family
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Congrats and welcome to the River Stone family
Hey wait a minute,is it not to the" Forest River Family" the "Riverstone Clan"! Youroo!!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

Congratulations!

Let's see some pics when you have time !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

Merry Christmas and Congratulations! Quick Question?

We have close friends who swear by their Montana 5'er. We're shopping now and were going down that same path. We'd sure like to know from a "verified buyer" what significant differences made you buy the Riverstone over the Montana. It would be very instructive to us. Thanks again! Safe travels.
gs9219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey wait a minute,is it not to the" Forest River Family" the "Riverstone Clan"! Youroo!!
Sorry I stand corrected....Welcome to the Forest River Family
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs9219 View Post
We have close friends who swear by their Montana 5'er. We're shopping now and were going down that same path. We'd sure like to know from a "verified buyer" what significant differences made you buy the Riverstone over the Montana. It would be very instructive to us. Thanks again! Safe travels.

Nothing wrong with the Montana, it is the #1 selling 5th wheel trailer in North America for a reason.
We had a Montana many years ago, it was a fine trailer with absolutely no problems but for full time living the RiverStone offers significantly more insulation, better/heavier axles and suspension out of the gate - the whole construction is more solid. The difference in dry weight alone is 2000 lbs to 3000 lbs on comparable units.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Have you looked at the differences between the two brands?

Just look at the pics and features and you'll see that the Riverstone is a much higher level trailer, than the Montana. But they are much more expensive.

And I'm a Montana fan. If we move to a 5th wheel, we love the High Country line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
I agree with much of what Cypress said in his reply. We are close to retirement and plan to long time or full time eventually. I wanted a 5er that came standard with disc brakes and built for full timing. We recently spent a couple of nights in our Montana in 15-20 degree weather and even though the furnace was working hard, there were areas where the walls were cold (Riverstone has dual pane windows which is also a plus). Riverstone even has DRV Suites beat on insulation in certain areas, and the wholesale dealer I bought from gave me a great price for the quality build and full body paint, along with many more amenities. Even though Montana has the same type of floor plan we eventually went with, I feel there is a large difference in the build between the two 5ers. You cannot go wrong (for the price) with some of the older Montanas, but you may want to read some of the current issues on newer models on their Owners Club forum if you plan to purchase a new model (keep in mind that Keystone is now owned by Thor). I went through both the Riverstone and DRV factories, and felt that Riverstone had more what we wanted. The Riverstone is more expensive than Montanas, but..."you get what you pay for". I am not planning on buying any more 5ers!
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
Old 12-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #12

38RE picture in dealer prep

Here is the first pictures taken during the prep and inspection (sorry I don't have any better pictures; will have to wait until we have it home and in camping season).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38RE in Service Shed.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	158533   Click image for larger version

Name:	38RE kitchen infinity light ceiling fab and rear entertainment.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	158534  
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #13

Congrats!! Looks like a Beautiful coach ! So happy for yall. Love the ceiling light fixture.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote