Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #1

LG Fridge/Inverter

Just out of curiosity, how long can I expect my fridge to run off my inverter when I'm not plugged in? I will have two batteries (whatever size the factory supplies) as well as the solar package, and can fire up the generator for a bit if necessary. I don't boondock, but what I'm wondering about is when I make my annual run to Florida, I'll drive during the day, then take a rest stop for the night, then start over again. Is there enough battery there to keep the fridge going for a 3 day trip running like that or will I need to run the generator periodically? Thanks
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
"On the road again"

We've never kept our inverter on overnight, but I know running down the road the truck power recharges the batteries and keeps them fresh. I'd sure think the trailer batteries have enough to keep it cool overnight - especially if you don't open the door on the fridge a lot.

I don't know that I'd leave the trailer plugged into the truck overnight for fear it might drain your truck batteries to a point they won't start the truck the next morning.

If your overnight "rest stops" are at an RV park and you're plugged into shore power there is absolutely no problem. We drove about 8 hours last month with our inverter running (but batteries being re-charged by our truck while in motion) and all was good.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. On our way down, I didn't plan on RV parks (although I could). Our last RV that we just sold had gas/electric fridge, so it was never an issue. I am just looking for some real life experience. I'd like to think that it would run for 12 hours. Also, does the inverter (which only has the fridge on it) kick off at some point before completely draining the batteries, i.e. so I could start the generator in the morning if need be?
Rusty
Old 06-09-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Also, does the inverter (which only has the fridge on it) kick off at some point before completely draining the batteries, i.e. so I could start the generator in the morning if need be?
Rusty

We've never reached that point so I can't honestly answer that. Hopefully someone else has experienced that and can comment. I do know that our inverter and LG fridge worked like a champ on our trip to Mississippi recently in some very hot and humid conditions - driving up to 8 hours with various stops along the way for meals, etc.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #5

sure it can

you said: you have two batteries, you have some solar, and you have a generator

that's 24hrs a day 365 days a year of your fridge 'working'.... everything you already have will do fine.

- the batteries simply hold 'power' to allow your Inverter to change the 12v to 120v power to run things like your fridge, but the fridge doesn't 'run' 24 hrs a day, only as the compressor is needed to keep the temp at your setting
- the solar simply 'recharges' the batteries, at least when you have sunlight
- when you are parked and using the generator, it supplies direct power to the fridge, and at the same time recharges your batteries

so, you already have everything you need, and in your traveling scenario, it's highly unlikely you'll have any problems - just stop for the night and run the generator to recharge the batteries before bed time. You can even cut the temp up/or even off on the fridge overnight to save power.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #6

Thanks. So theoretically, after driving all day, hooked up to my truck, and with solar panels, I should be good overnight not plugged in or having to fire up my generator to keep my fridge running by morning, right?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #7

Also reading on main FR forum; do you shut your inverter off when on sore power for any length of time or when your trailer is in storage?
Rusty
Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

My understanding is that the dealer supplies the batteries, this makes it a wild card.

The LG fridge in the RS is so much better insulated than the RV fridges that we had in the past, it should stay cold for several hours if it's not opened. Keep it fully stocked with cold food before you start your trip, don't open the doors and you shouldn't have to worry.

You can (should) turn the inverter off when you are on shore power but don't unplug it, or else the fridge will lose power. Leave the inverter in standby at all times unless you put the trailer in storage.

As has been said before, the truck supplies enough power to keep the batteries charged and run the inverter while driving, but over night or on longer stops unplug the trailer from the truck. Some trucks keep the plug powered even when turned off, you may want to put a multimeter on the receptacle or consult your owner's manual to find out.

If you have any amount of solar that will sure help keeping the batteries charged but for boondocking you will likely need something similar to what we have.

I don't know what the low voltage shutoff is on these WFCO inverters but they are installed so far from the batteries and the wiring is so small that there is a 0.8Volt voltage drop.

This is not only an issue on the RS, many manufacturers do it. We have our Xantrex inverter 2' from the batteries and have almost no voltage drop at all.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #9

For a definitive answer one would need to know how much power the refrigerator draws when running and how many hours per day it actually runs.

Once you know the number of Kwh the refrigerator consumes in a given time period, like overnight, you can work backwards to see how much battery you have and if it's sufficient.

As for "Dealer Supplied" batteries, that varies. My trailer came with two Group 29 Interstate Deep Cycles that are supposed to be 120 Ah batteries. Some might come with a group 24 which is stores a lot less power.

One thing that can be done. Do a simple overnight test before taking the trip. To simulate a load of groceries that will store "cold" just fill a few milk jugs with water, cool them down while plugged in, then cut off power so the refrig. runs off the inverter. After the amount of time you expect the refrig. to run on battery power only, check battery state of charge. If they're dead you will need larger batteries. If not, and they are around 50% remaining or more, you're golden. Will definitely eliminate the "should work", "might work", "won't work".

Remember, the gang that developed our first "Atom Bomb" proved it would work on paper but they still blew one up to make sure before they sent one off to be dropped.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #10

of course there is no way to give you an answer because it all depends on how YOU use the fridge, what temp you have it set to, how many 'warm' items you just stuck in to start the trip, whether you want the ice maker working or not, how many times you open the door, etc...

your generator is there to provide 'overnight' recharge of the batteries if the fridge takes them too low.... but many folks would rather just run the generator for an hour at 8 or 9pm, then let the batteries do there job overnight. If they get too low, the inverter probably has a built in 'LBCO' automatic cutoff of the inverter. Then the fridge will be without power, but only for the few hours until you wake and want to start the generator to recharge them. During the 'sunlight' hours, your solar should probably be enough to offset the fridge and other items you are using during that time.

but, no, no one can ever tell you for 'sure' that anything is going to work, or not... it's just part of the experience to learn and find out for yourself...everyone camps differently.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate the responses. Probably figuring on upgrading batteries and inverter (get ready for more questions, LOL) down the road. I don't even have a VIN yet and it won't even be on FR's build schedule until Thursday. Just getting ready.
Rusty
Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

If it is not even on the build schedule yet and you are already planning to upgrade, do it right the first time. Have it built (dealer and / or factory) to what you want / need. Simplest upgrade would be to get true deep cycle batteries. You won’t get them unless you ask (and pay)
Old 06-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

We had a 200 watt solar panel installed right at the factory during our build, it was not a option at that time but do believe something is offered now, much cheaper then doing it afterwards, Our dealer also had 4 batteries when we picked it up.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #14

I ordered it with the solar package. Factory doesn't offer upgraded batteries or inverter. I suppose I could check and see what the dealer would charge to do the upgrades?
Rusty
Old 06-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #15

if all you are going to power with the inverter is the refrigerator the factory installed one will be fine. dealer installs the batteries. negotiate with him for what you want. make sure he gives you credit for the stock ones he didn't have to install. with four batteries, solar, and generator you should be golden.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #16

We had our dealer install the Zamp 480 Watt total panels that the factory installs. Had them also install 4 6v deep cycle batteries from Dekka. We were on solar only for a week while waiting for our electrician to complete the 50 amp install. The fridge ran great off the inverter the entire time.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #17

That's good to know Pete. I won't go the 4 battery route as I only dry camp enroute to Florida, so I'm probably worrying about nothing. Not a real handy guy and don't know what the dealer plans on installing (have to call), but without spending $500 on two batteries, what minimum specs on upgraded batteries should I ask for?
Rusty
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #18

Rusty,

At a minimum get 2 6volt deep cycle batteries with 200plus amp hour rating. Ours are rated at 225 amp hours. They can be purchased for approximately $150 per battery from many online retailers.

Pete
Old 06-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #19

Pete, sending you a PM.
Rusty
Old 08-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
My understanding is that the dealer supplies the batteries, this makes it a wild card.

The LG fridge in the RS is so much better insulated than the RV fridges that we had in the past, it should stay cold for several hours if it's not opened. Keep it fully stocked with cold food before you start your trip, don't open the doors and you shouldn't have to worry.

You can (should) turn the inverter off when you are on shore power but don't unplug it, or else the fridge will lose power. Leave the inverter in standby at all times unless you put the trailer in storage.

As has been said before, the truck supplies enough power to keep the batteries charged and run the inverter while driving, but over night or on longer stops unplug the trailer from the truck. Some trucks keep the plug powered even when turned off, you may want to put a multimeter on the receptacle or consult your owner's manual to find out.

If you have any amount of solar that will sure help keeping the batteries charged but for boondocking you will likely need something similar to what we have.

I don't know what the low voltage shutoff is on these WFCO inverters but they are installed so far from the batteries and the wiring is so small that there is a 0.8Volt voltage drop.

This is not only an issue on the RS, many manufacturers do it. We have our Xantrex inverter 2' from the batteries and have almost no voltage drop at all.
Hello Cypress,

I am interested in your inverter, battery set up for our RiverStone. Can you post any pics of your installation? Did you do the install or have an RV electrician do it? We currently have the Zamp 480 watt factory solar install and 4 6V Deka GC golf cart batteries. Our goal is to be able to run the fridge, tv, coffee maker, etc from the inverter.
We have an Onan 5.5 generator for when we need the AC’s. Appreciate your help, input.

Thanks,

Pete

Tags
fridge, inverter