Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Looking to buy

Hello everyone! We are new here and looking for any info that could help us. We are full timers meaning we camp 365 days a year and our fifth wheel now has been nothing but a money pit. We are looking at the riverstone 39FK , how does this unit handle very cold winters , any problems ect? Thank you so much
Martha84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

Not sure how far either one of these dealers would be for you but both carry River Stone

Dykeman's Camper Place

https://www.plazarv.com/
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #3

The wall, floor and ceiling insulation is good the same goes for the dual pane windows, no condensation or frost when we keep the rH between 25% and 30%.

I realize the plumbing is different on our Legacy 39RE than it is on the model you are looking at, we had the suction hose between the freshwater tank and the water pump freeze when it got too cold. I ended up putting an 80 gal. aux. water tank in the heated front storage bay and leave the access panels to the water pump open for more air circulation - no problems down to -40F/C.
The dump valves gave us trouble last winter, they froze shut constantly. We had our dealer wrap them in heat tape - no more problems and I highly recommend doing this. The floors are comfortable to walk on even barefoot, we usually don't wear socks and never wear shoes. We are not using space heaters except for our Mr. Heater Big Buddy that is on low during the day.
If you have to remain mobile during the winter I highly recommend replacing the ATF fluid in the hydraulic system with a low temp oil, the jacks and slideout hydraulics become sluggish at around 25F.

I'm not sure what you consider as "extremely cold" but the coldest here last winter was -46C (50F) and so far this winter -26C (-15F) with zero hickups after the small improvements we made.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote