Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #1

Looks like it's gonna be the 39FK

First posting here. We own a 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS. We bought it used (1 PO) and it has not been without problems (axle grease seals failure, drum brakes switched out to disc brakes, leaky water manifold problem (twice), and a couple of other quality build issues (Lippert "Thomas Payne Collection" is absolute junk, embarrassed to show off RV to friends), outdoor speakers in awning are leftovers from the transistor radio days of the 60's. I had heard such great things about GDRV that they quickly became The One. Like pretty much every RV some sweat equity is involved to get it "just right".

We're living in it up in N. GA. on a beautiful lake at 1,900 elevation. It meets our initial needs, but now we know that we want something bigger/better/nicer.

My first instinct was to go with another GDRV (maybe Solitude), but looking around I came across the Riverstone 39FK model. It has the floor plan we've been looking for. I've read all the hits and digs on Forest River products, but after seeing the (lack of) build quality on the GDRV models, we've decided that the fifth wheel will not be a GDRV product, but will instead be the Riverstone.

We will permanently park the 39FK at our 8-month campsite in N. GA. and keep the GDRV down in FL for the remaining 4-months of the year (we currently live in Ft. Myers. My truck (2016 Nissan Titan XD turbo diesel) can pull the 11,000 lb GDRV with no problem, but would be no match for the Riverstone.

AND NOW THE BIG QUESTION: Are there any systemic problems with the 39FK? One concern we have is The headroom in the kitchen (78.5"); we both run close to 6' in height so don't want to get claustrophobic.

Would love to hear from Riverstone owners about their thoughts and experiences.

Thanks.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #2

Congratulations on your decision. While I didn't order the FK (waiting on the build for my 38MB), I wouldn't beat yourself up on the Forest River digs. I read every posting on the Riverstone forum. I don't recall seeing one post I don't think of anyone regretting their Riverstone purchase. If you get a chance, tour the factory. Dava at the desk and Nick Simeri out back and who gave us our tour, were a big help in getting us to make our decision. I know it depends on model runs, but we were about 12 weeks out on our build date from when we made the order (starts production this week!). For what it's worth, we spend December and January at Gulf Waters Resort in FMB. We'll be looking for that new 39FK!
Rusty

lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

Congrats on your decision, we have been very happy with our Legacy 38MB for 2 years now, very little issues with great factory help, as a matter of fact I just sent something to Jeff Holmes yesterday and he replied to me within minutes.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Congrats on your new RiverStone. We are 3 months into full timing in our 38FB2 and so far everything works as it should. We looked at every mfg and kept coming back, build quality, amenities, layout just works for us.

Enjoy,

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Congratulations on your decision. While I didn't order the FK (waiting on the build for my 38MB), I wouldn't beat yourself up on the Forest River digs. I read every posting on the Riverstone forum. I don't recall seeing one post I don't think of anyone regretting their Riverstone purchase. If you get a chance, tour the factory. Dava at the desk and Nick Simeri out back and who gave us our tour, were a big help in getting us to make our decision. I know it depends on model runs, but we were about 12 weeks out on our build date from when we made the order (starts production this week!). For what it's worth, we spend December and January at Gulf Waters Resort in FMB. We'll be looking for that new 39FK!
Rusty
Gulf Waters is a beautiful resort. We've stayed there a couple of times even though it's about 2 miles from our home LOL.

We went and looked at a 39FK yesterday and loved the floorplan. It's a perfect layout for us. We would want to make some changes from a cosmetic standpoint (bedroom was extremely dark), and have been talking with the dealer about seeing if we can get them made.

One thing that we are seriously considering is having a cabinet maker come in and have custom cabinets done in the kitchen. I just wasn't impressed with the cabinetry. I understand the issue with weight management; in our case since it will stay in one place, I'm not too concerned with added weight. Wife is a retired interior designer, so she also wants to redo all the window treatments, etc. I'm OK with that because it'll be our home for up to 8 months out of the year.

Another thing we're talking about is getting full body paint. Wife and I are thinking that FBP will greatly help with keeping it looking good. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on FBP.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
Old 08-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

I went the full body paint on my 38MB as well. I had it on my last unit (Voltage 3990 toy hauler). It looks way better than the decals and it's not going to fade and crack, especially in the Florida sun. I also think it's easier to keep clean. Everywhere we went, that unit got compliments. Downside, if you sell or trade, you're not going to get that 10 grand or so back. People compare prices to units that are unpainted and don't understand why your unit is more expensive. Also, bodywork, assuming you get a bad break, is going to be more expensive compared to an unpainted unit. As far as remodeling, the factory is pretty flexible in regards to changes, we had a few, including outlets in some cabinets, installed. What colors are you thinking on the FBP? Curious as to what dealer you went thru. When we were looking while we were in Fort Myers, we couldn't find a Riverstone dealer anywhere near (Forest River yes/Riverstone no). Only time we saw one was at the Tampa show. Congratulations and let us know when you pull the trigger. We'll have you over for cocktails this year when we check into Gulf Waters December 1st.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I went the full body paint on my 38MB as well. I had it on my last unit (Voltage 3990 toy hauler). It looks way better than the decals and it's not going to fade and crack, especially in the Florida sun. I also think it's easier to keep clean. Everywhere we went, that unit got compliments. Downside, if you sell or trade, you're not going to get that 10 grand or so back. People compare prices to units that are unpainted and don't understand why your unit is more expensive. Also, bodywork, assuming you get a bad break, is going to be more expensive compared to an unpainted unit. As far as remodeling, the factory is pretty flexible in regards to changes, we had a few, including outlets in some cabinets, installed. What colors are you thinking on the FBP? Curious as to what dealer you went thru. When we were looking while we were in Fort Myers, we couldn't find a Riverstone dealer anywhere near (Forest River yes/Riverstone no). Only time we saw one was at the Tampa show. Congratulations and let us know when you pull the trigger. We'll have you over for cocktails this year when we check into Gulf Waters December 1st.
Rusty
We're talking with a couple of dealers - up in GA where the trailer will be kept. The color that we're going to go with is the Merlot.

Yes, please drop us a line when you get in town, we'll get together and kick around ideas!

2020 Riverstone 39FK
Old 08-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

We visited the factory yesterday and saw quite a few front kitchens being built, guess it's a popular floor plan!!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We visited the factory yesterday and saw quite a few front kitchens being built, guess it's a popular floor plan!!!!
DW and I also liked the RiverStone FK and the RKFB. Just a couple of things we didn't like about the FK:

1. Even though the FK dinette is great for watching TV and using a computer, it only holds two people comfortably. If you have more than two people, I don't know where they would dine.

2. We weren't wild about the finish on the entertainment wall (looks kind of like a grey slate). The factory uses the same finish on the smaller 34SLE and RKFB, although when talking with Tom Ewing from the factory, he stated that an alternative finish could be substituted.

If you are serious about FBP, you may want to order the Traveler Package, which also includes disc brakes and Goodyear H rated tires.

Enjoy your future FK!

Noel
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by millman75 View Post
DW and I also liked the RiverStone FK and the RKFB. Just a couple of things we didn't like about the FK:

1. Even though the FK dinette is great for watching TV and using a computer, it only holds two people comfortably. If you have more than two people, I don't know where they would dine.

2. We weren't wild about the finish on the entertainment wall (looks kind of like a grey slate). The factory uses the same finish on the smaller 34SLE and RKFB, although when talking with Tom Ewing from the factory, he stated that an alternative finish could be substituted.

If you are serious about FBP, you may want to order the Traveler Package, which also includes disc brakes and Goodyear H rated tires.

Enjoy your future FK!

Noel
We did see a couple of units with the new look around the entertainment center but did not take any pictures, we did think it looked better. I will see what units they bring to the rally and try to post pictures if they have the new look.