Old 11-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Major Upgrade Coming to our RiverStone

We will be upgrading our off grid capabilities in our FB2 very soon. I will post up the some pics and parts list for anyone interested. Currently we have the Zamp 480 watt solar system, Onan 5.5kw generator and 4ea 6v flooded deep cycle Deka batteries.

Going with 4 Battleborn 12v 100amp G2 Lithium batteries, Magnum MagnaSine Hybrid 3000 watt inverter with remote control and auto gen start relay. Our goal is to be able to boondock “off the grid”. Plan is to spend approximately 1/3 of our time on BLM land and other remote areas.

Stay tuned,

Pete

Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
We will be upgrading our off grid capabilities in our FB2 very soon. I will post up the some pics and parts list for anyone interested. Currently we have the Zamp 480 watt solar system, Onan 5.5kw generator and 4ea 6v flooded deep cycle Deka batteries.

Going with 4 Battleborn 12v 100amp G2 Lithium batteries, Magnum MagnaSine Hybrid 3000 watt inverter with remote control and auto gen start relay. Our goal is to be able to boondock “off the grid”. Plan is to spend approximately 1/3 of our time on BLM land and other remote areas.

Stay tuned,

Pete

Cool!
While you're at it, consider doubling your solar.
Our AGM batteries are 5 years old and when they go out (in a couple of years, who knows) I'll too bite the bullet and install Battleborn Lithium batteries.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Pete,

Great plan! Will the new inverter be tied to all things electrical (refer, TV, outlets, microwave, etc) minus the A/C's? What wiring mods will you need to do to make all the outlets work off the inverter? That would eventually be my goal, as I believe the only electrical that currently runs off my 1000 w inverter is the refrigerator. I have asked RiverStone for a wiring diagram but never received one.

Noel
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Cool!
While you're at it, consider doubling your solar.
Our AGM batteries are 5 years old and when they go out (in a couple of years, who knows) I'll too bite the bullet and install Battleborn Lithium batteries.
Good suggestion on the solar upgrade. I spoke with the folks at Zamp and they recommended going with an additional 140 to 180 watts of “suitcase solar” that can be set up to maximize available sunlight angle especially in the winter months. The Lithium batteries are much more efficient in their charging profile and it’s possible to get by with less solar than flooded cell or AGM batteries.

Pete
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by millman75 View Post
Pete,

Great plan! Will the new inverter be tied to all things electrical (refer, TV, outlets, microwave, etc) minus the A/C's? What wiring mods will you need to do to make all the outlets work off the inverter? That would eventually be my goal, as I believe the only electrical that currently runs off my 1000 w inverter is the refrigerator. I have asked RiverStone for a wiring diagram but never received one.

Noel
Noel,

Yes the inverter will be tied into the existing power distribution panel. I have contracted the work out so I am leaving it to the experts. It is my understanding that an additional power distribution box and breakers will be added to tie into the existing panel. The 3000 watt hybrid inverter is a very cool unit. If we are plugged into a 30 amp campground the inverter can pick up the slack to power the coach. Same thing if we are on the gen set and need more than the 30amps it produces. Will be leaving the existing 1000 watt inverter powering the fridge in place, so in all we will have 4000 watts and 400 amps of battery power available.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

Here are a couple of pics of the completed install of the battery bank and inverter upgrade. Several folks have asked for information about the project. If anyone has any questions just let me know.

Pete

Ps, sorry for the upside down pics, not sure what happened
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A6DF189-F39E-4B89-A4B6-F92E72A1E616.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	192883   Click image for larger version

Name:	644F68A9-8F29-4110-A301-A4AC24C3B336.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	192884  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

You'll be happy with this setup for years to come, well done. I can't believe the battery trays can hold 4 100 AH LI batteries, very nice.
I wish hybrid inverters and LI batteries were available when I did my original install.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
You'll be happy with this setup for years to come, well done. I can't believe the battery trays can hold 4 100 AH LI batteries, very nice.
I wish hybrid inverters and LI batteries were available when I did my original install.
Thanks for your help in the previous post. Battleborn GC2 are direct drop in replacements for golf cart batteries. Nice thing about Lithium is you can use up to 100% of the rated amp hours without damaging them. AGM and Flooded cell can only be drawn down to 50% of rated amp hour capacity. And they only weigh 30lbs each so I reduced the weight in the battery compartment by 150lbs.

Pete

Tags
upgrade