Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Preventive Roof Work

While anxiously awaiting my 38MB to be built, and since this is the "last" (yeah, right) RV I will be buying, I am thinking of things I can do to to prolong my investment. Since leaks are by far the biggest RV killer, I was thinking that upon delivery, I'd Eternabond all the roof seams. Never used it before but all my research says it works great and last forever. Good idea? Pro's/Con's? Thanks
Rusty

lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Search for this on Google 'love your rv eternabond'.
IMHO, eternabond is great stuff but you don't want it to be visible from the ground. I inspect the seams every few months (no fixed schedule) and have a tube of Dicor lap sealant on hand, even with eternabond covering the entire roof I would still do a regular inspection. What's just as critical as the roof is the sides of the rv, ours is only a year old and I have already resealed a few spots on the side where the fiberglass cap meets the sidewall with Proflex RV. It's just part of the routine maintenance, same as a house only different.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

I was meticulous on looking for leaks on My Voltage TH. I was just thinking the Eternabond on all the roof seams (not visible from the ground) might just be an extra layer of protection. I guess I'll wait and see how good of a caulking job the factory does before making a decision. Thanks.
Rusty
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

I would stick it out with your new roof, and when it starts looking worn, have RV Armor give you a permanent roof with a lifetime warranty. They'll actually come to you. I have been keeping an eye on their work (photos and reviews online in social pages and forums), for over two years now, and I am very impressed. It truly is a lifetime warranty. Check it out on their website.
eadebeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Rubber roofs should last 10+ years easily, with proper maintenance. The longest I've owned an RV was seven years, and the roof was still in great shape. On that roof I only used Dicor.

I clean and condition mine once or twice a year with Protectall products.

I've always thought using Eternabond on every roof seam was overkill and expensive. I only use Eternabond on problem areas. Eternabond is great stuff, until you have to remove it to replace a cap or skylight
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #6

Eternabond is wonderful stuff. I originally got on the roof every few months with a tube of Dicor self-leveling sealant. However, this year, I started using Eternabond on the areas, which needed the touch-ups. I installed the eternabond and then used the Dicor around the edges of the tape. It might be double work, but I have been surprised at the number of touch-ups needed to keep everything from leaking and don't want anything to happen in between roof checks. I haven't gone as far as the preemptive Eternabond, though.

They make different colors, so even if it isn't visible from the ground, I still like to try to color-match everything.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Perhaps ben31's method will work for me. When the roof does start to go, assuming I still have the RV, RVArmor is the way I'll go, despite the 7 grand expense.
Rusty
Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Perhaps ben31's method will work for me. When the roof does start to go, assuming I still have the RV, RVArmor is the way I'll go, despite the 7 grand expense.
Rusty
Ouch, for that much I'd just get a new RV

NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, vent