Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Riverstone VS DRV

So, I'm participating in a DRV owners group, researching my next (eventually) trailer. One major issue that has come up there is leaking and rotten slide floors.

Have there been any systemic issues with Riverstone's since they started making them? Any leaking issues?

Old 11-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

A Riverstone is not on the same level of quality as a DRV. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful rigs, but definitely a notch or two down. I would love to own either, but if cost was no object I would go DRV in a heartbeat. Look at the fit and finish difference between the two and it quickly becomes apparent.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

We have a 2017 unit picked up in the summer of 2016, so far no issues like that but did have to have the plastic slide replaced last year under the dining slide due to it started to wave, will watch the replacement to see what happens if it starts again might have it looked at just incase. I know what DRV you are speaking of I saw that also.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

DRV vs Riverstone Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
A Riverstone is not on the same level of quality as a DRV. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful rigs, but definitely a notch or two down. I would love to own either, but if cost was no object I would go DRV in a heartbeat. Look at the fit and finish difference between the two and it quickly becomes apparent.
Just curious, but construction wise (frame, walls, roof construction, and integral components) is the DRV actually built with better materials and quality construction than the Riverstone? I had heard, perhaps rumor, as I never checked it out, that DRV quality has taken a slide in the past two or three years. For what it's worth, the fit and finish on my Legacy is great.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

We have been living full time in our RiverStone 38FB2 since March. No issues so far. We looked extensively at the DRV, Landmark, etc. We could not see the $40k to $50k higher price difference for the DRV.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #6

Does Riverstone still use all hydraulic slides? If so, that, to me, is one of the advantages that Riverstone has over DRV.

On the other hand, DRV has a frame that they will put a 3000 pound receiver on the rear of from the factory - a major plus.

DRV will customize your trailer a large degree, which is a plus.

But - if I have to plan on replacing slide floors in a DRV at a 2-9k cost per floor, is it really worth it?

The allure of the DRV, to me, is the Fullhouse floorplan. Now if Riverstone would put out a true toy hauler, then I'd probably go with them. As mentioned above, the price difference is fairly significant.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

As far as all hydraulic slides it depends on which floor plan, I know on our 38mb they are but on the front kitchen and living rooms I would say no, probably best to ask the factory direct for which floor plan you might be interested in.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #8

We also looked at DRV initially but after touring a few units and reading on forums about some of the problems and the run around some owners are getting with their warranty claims we bought the Legacy 38RE and also bought the 2nd year warranty.

We've been living in it full time for 1 1/2 years and still love it, the insulation is sufficient for the cold canadian winters and hot summers, we however had the dump valves wrapped in heat tape.

The bedroom slide is electric, the livingroom slides are Schwintek and the kitchen and diningroom slides are hydraulic. Oddly, we only had problems with the hydraulic slides, the hydraulic cylinder under the diningroom slide has a small leak (more like sweating) and will be replaced when we're back next spring, our dealer received a replacement cylinder days after the problem was diagnosed and reported (Thanks RiverStone). One of the rack and pinions under the kitchen slide (rack and pinion operated by a hydraulic cylinder) suddenly started to jump causing the slide to completely get cockeyed, when this happened we were on a campground close to our selling dealer, repair was a major PITA but they got it fixed after 2 days in the shop. What I'm trying to say is that hydraulic slides can fail.

We did have other warranty repairs done but they all involved components that are probably being used by DRV as well, the problems were reported to the dealer who immediately submitted the claims to RS and no other followup was needed, nothing involved a rotting slide room floor.
Otherwise, if RiverStone keeps doing what they're doing we won't even bother looking at other brands next time.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
We also looked at DRV initially but after touring a few units and reading on forums about some of the problems and the run around some owners are getting with their warranty claims we bought the Legacy 38RE and also bought the 2nd year warranty.

We've been living in it full time for 1 1/2 years and still love it, the insulation is sufficient for the cold canadian winters and hot summers, we however had the dump valves wrapped in heat tape.

The bedroom slide is electric, the livingroom slides are Schwintek and the kitchen and diningroom slides are hydraulic. Oddly, we only had problems with the hydraulic slides, the hydraulic cylinder under the diningroom slide has a small leak (more like sweating) and will be replaced when we're back next spring, our dealer received a replacement cylinder days after the problem was diagnosed and reported (Thanks RiverStone). One of the rack and pinions under the kitchen slide (rack and pinion operated by a hydraulic cylinder) suddenly started to jump causing the slide to completely get cockeyed, when this happened we were on a campground close to our selling dealer, repair was a major PITA but they got it fixed after 2 days in the shop. What I'm trying to say is that hydraulic slides can fail.

We did have other warranty repairs done but they all involved components that are probably being used by DRV as well, the problems were reported to the dealer who immediately submitted the claims to RS and no other followup was needed, nothing involved a rotting slide room floor.
Otherwise, if RiverStone keeps doing what they're doing we won't even bother looking at other brands next time.
Good to hear! Is Riverstone still offering the second year warranty? I thought that was a thing of the past.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #10

I'm not sure they still do, it was discontinued on most FR lines when we bought our trailer. The business manager had to call RiverStone to find out for sure and we didn't waste a minute to jump on it, I guess hindsight was 20/20.