Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #1

So This Happened Today...

This afternoon, while my wife and I were sitting at the dining room table, the entire dining light fixture along with the decorative dual oval wooden backing fell from the ceiling. We were very fortunate that neither of us were seriously injured! My laptop was not so fortunate however. Have no idea how or why this could have happened. I also have no idea where to begin with repairing this.

Be careful out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_171826.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	182365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_171849.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	182366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_173027.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	182367  
SomedayIsToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

OMG... Than is just plain total poor workmanship.

So sorry to hear that the laptop got damaged, on the other hand, so lucky someone did not get that on the head.... Ouch !

As a finish carpenter I used various adhesives to mount items and in IMO it looks to me one of two things...

: possibly the adhesive used in this case had already came to it's cured point before mounting and barely stuck and finally gave under movement and weight...was the adhesive 'hard' ?

: or the adhesive used was the wrong one all together and stayed soft not meant to be used in that circumstances...was the adhesive soft at all?

No Matter... the screws I see in the picture were of little to no use... I wonder if the ceiling wood is too thin or the screws too few or needed to be of larger size...Lots of questions...sorry, not many answers.
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

I would scrape off the failed adhesive, re-apply new construction adhesive (more of it) and use these fasteners instead of plain wood screws:https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-20-...cluded/3183869

Good luck!
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

SHAMEFULL !! Another example of the RV Industry’s fine workmanship.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

I agree with the above, those screws were not holding anything up. the plastic inserts mentioned will work too. they also have metal toggle bolts like that that you can use. if it were mine, i would remove the failed adhesive, install toggle bolts and apply MUCH more adhesive. Glad that nobody was seriously hurt by this.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #6

contact Riverstone ,That should be your first call. Let them know the issue and show the pictures . Jeff at the factory is really good at helping you resolve these issues ,just be willing to work with them and be friendly ,they are good people and want to help you -really! RV's have issues all of them no matter who builds it ,so be flexible and willing to do your own repairs if needed. Not all repair shops are where you are ! I have fixed plenty of issue's on my legacy and take it in stride as part of the experience. The factory will do as much as they can to help you get back on the road. the advice so far has been pretty good to get you going ,but contact them so they can address it at the factory also! The guy's there are really trying to build a great product and are just as upset when something goes wrong as you . been giving feed back to them for almost 2yrs on how their rigs holdup for full timers like me ,I travel a lot !
luckieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #7

The above mentioned suggestions are all good. I am a retired carpenter and with my fifty-plus years of experience, I would only add to the above comments that the adhesive you use is a quality brand and fits this particular situation based on its strength and holding power. Also important is the initial application and point of contact. Sometimes by using a twisting motion while pushing into the ceiling will spread the adhesive out for more surface area and a better opportunity to stick and hold. It is also critical to maintain pressure by pushing hard and holding for enough time so the adhesive holds strong and does not pull away from the ceiling, thus not making good enough contact and being subject to becoming loose and eventually falling. Sometimes you may have to use some wood uprights to help hold it in place temporarily, until the adhesive bonds and remains strong. Also the right screws or hardware is also very important for additional support and security. Hope this helps your situation. Safe travels !!!!!
RSLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote