Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Suggested changes/improvements to RiverStone (Legacy 38RE, maybe other models as well)

It would be nice to have a light right above the entrance door to illuminate the area right in front of the door. It is probably the darkest spot in the whole coach.

Make the steps to the bedroom area (8”, 8 3/8”, 7 1/2”) and to the living room area (7 1/2”, 9”) the same height. What were they thinking?

USB chargers not only in the dining nook but also over both night tables.

Replace the bedroom TV with a shelf or wall cabinet that can house a TV for those that want one.

Replace one of the couches in the living room with a desk or sideboard.

Wrap the dump valves in heat tape!!! This may not be a big deal for most but for us it really is.

This may or may not be possible, a fresh water tank in the front storage bay would take up a lot of space and adds a lot of weight to the front of the coach but it is the only way (I can think of) to keep the water flowing in -40C/F deg. Weather.

Comments?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
It would be nice to have a light right above the entrance door to illuminate the area right in front of the door. It is probably the darkest spot in the whole coach.

Make the steps to the bedroom area (8”, 8 3/8”, 7 1/2”) and to the living room area (7 1/2”, 9”) the same height. What were they thinking?

Replace the bedroom TV with a shelf or wall cabinet that can house a TV for those that want one.

Wrap the dump valves in heat tape!!! This may not be a big deal for most but for us it really is.

This may or may not be possible, a fresh water tank in the front storage bay would take up a lot of space and adds a lot of weight to the front of the coach but it is the only way (I can think of) to keep the water flowing in -40C/F deg. Weather.

Comments?
We have a light inside over our door in the 38mb, not sure why not in yours

I would have to agree to have the steps the same size, I liked your floor plan but having to go up to both the living and bedroom area was a BIG NO for the wife

I thought I saw that the newer models did have the USB ports in the bedroom now

I like your idea on the dump valves.

I doubt to many folks would want to give up the front storage bin for water tank, we put our bikes in there plus you would loose the spot for a generator. Maybe as a option but do not see that happening.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

In regards to a light right above the entrance door is a BAD idea unless it is a Motion activated type! Lights around a Door "Attract/Welcome BUGS"! Motion On/Off helps reduce this "Welcome Wagon"! Youroo!!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
In regards to a light right above the entrance door is a BAD idea unless it is a Motion activated type! Lights around a Door "Attract/Welcome BUGS"! Motion On/Off helps reduce this "Welcome Wagon"! Youroo!!
I was thinking he meant inside the door, ours is not very bright inside, the one outside can be either amber or white and yes the white one really attracts bugs but then so will the lights under our awning.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I was thinking he meant inside the door, ours is not very bright inside, the one outside can be either amber or white and yes the white one really attracts bugs but then so will the lights under our awning.
Isn't it a "EXIT" door when your on the Inside, he said "Entrance Door"! Youroo!!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Isn't it a "EXIT" door when your on the Inside, he said "Entrance Door"! Youroo!!
Well I have heard you sometimes do not know if your coming or going
Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Well I have heard you sometimes do not know if your coming or going
That was "Fake News"! Youroo!!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #8

You guys are funny
I was referring to the inside of the trailer, all the pancake lights are nicely spaced 4' apart but right there over the door the spacing is 7'. But now that I look at it, it shouldn't be hard to cut a hole in the ceiling with a cup saw, run a wire from one of the adjacent lights and pop a light in.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
We have a light inside over our door in the 38mb, not sure why not in yours

I would have to agree to have the steps the same size, I liked your floor plan but having to go up to both the living and bedroom area was a BIG NO for the wife

I thought I saw that the newer models did have the USB ports in the bedroom now

I like your idea on the dump valves.

I doubt to many folks would want to give up the front storage bin for water tank, we put our bikes in there plus you would loose the spot for a generator. Maybe as a option but do not see that happening.
I agree, the water tank in the storage bay is not practical for most folks but since we were tied up due to our daughter having a medical condition it was a good workaround when the suction hose from the fresh water tank to the pump froze up the first time it dropped below -30.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

Comments?
Cypressloser, have you considered sending these suggestions/recommendations to the RiverStone division of Forest River? They are the ones who might be able to implement some/all of them.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #11

-30!! -40!!!!!!!!!! people should not be there. It never snows here but we get a few nights in the high 20s and days in the 40s. Too cold so you will find me in FL or AZ during January and February. .
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #12

No infrared

Quote:
I am told that bugs are attracted to infrared light (from incandescent lamps). LEDs (used universally now) do not emit infrared and don't attract bugs.

I did replace the outside lamps in the 2008 with LEDs and no longer have the clusters of bugs on summer nights.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I am told that bugs are attracted to infrared light (from incandescent lamps). LEDs (used universally now) do not emit infrared and don't attract bugs.

I did replace the outside lamps in the 2008 with LEDs and no longer have the clusters of bugs on summer nights.

Larry

We have some led lights in our landscaping and they DO attract many insects in the evening although not as many as incandescent lights have
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Cypressloser, have you considered sending these suggestions/recommendations to the RiverStone division of Forest River? They are the ones who might be able to implement some/all of them.
Yeah, that's actually what I had planned to do, I'm just hoping for some more input from other owners.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, that's actually what I had planned to do, I'm just hoping for some more input from other owners.
We were asked by the factory foreman about helping him with the design of the front kitchen floor plan, now that was almost 2 years ago but I do stay in touch with him and of course see him around Goshen rally time. They are open to suggestions so why not try and reach out to them with your ideas.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #16

I agree with dblr's comments. I complained to the factory rep when they stopped installing the drawers in the steps. My 2018 1/2 now has the drawers in the two steps going up to the bath and bedroom. Also, when I went to a factory tour last year, I measured the battery tray and it was not wide enough for two six volt batteries side by side; only wide enough for twelve volt batteries. They changed the battery trays, and obviously had to move some wall studs as well, but the factory does listen to the owners of their products.
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:

Larry

We have LEDs above our door and these DO attract bugs.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Larry
I guess the bugs where I camp haven't paid attention to the same scientific study you have. I have 2 awnings with LED strips underneath where the awning attaches to the TT. I use the light on the slide out at night to help keep the bugs away from the door.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote