Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Theater Seating vs Recliners

One more question (LOL) for 38MB, or maybe it applies to all the Riverstones: are the recliners more like a loveseat (i.e. installed right next to each other with no armrest or space between them? Wife is leaning towards them so conceivably 3 people can sit or the dog has his "space". I'm leaning towards the Theater Seating. Appreciate the input.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

We have the recliners in our 38mb, they are 2 separate chairs. Be warned to fully recline them they need pulled out from the wall then if you lean forward to far they feel like they will tip over, I found this out when putting my shoes on. If I were to do it over I would get the power theater seats.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

Found a happy medium. Factory will install theater/power recliners that have removable armrest that used to be put in the Legacy 38RE. All good.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Glad to see they had a option for you.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

Just make sure they are not Bonded Leather. It will not hold up.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Theater seating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We have the recliners in our 38mb, they are 2 separate chairs. Be warned to fully recline them they need pulled out from the wall then if you lean forward to far they feel like they will tip over, I found this out when putting my shoes on. If I were to do it over I would get the power theater seats.
Our theater seating in our 2018 Grand Design Reflection do not have to be pulled away from the wall to fully recline. The brand is Thomas Payne Collection. They are wonderful. No feeling of tipping over. They have roomy armrests and have massage and heated seats. I have had recliners in RVs before. These theater seating recliners are by far the most comfortable chairs we have ever had and we are in our 6th fifth wheel now.
Two Ole Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

I had the Thomas Payne theater seats in my PT Crusader. They were not heated or electric. After two years the bonded leather started peeling off. I had one seat back recovered for a much better material but then the seat started to peel as well as the arm on the sofa. In addition , the support under one of the theater seats broke so the seat leaned to one side. The footrest release mechanism also broke on one seat but was replace under warranty. Only real solution was to replace the entire thing. The bonded leather issue is not limited to Thomas Payne - it is an industry wide issue. Just don't buy bonded leather - does not hold up in anything.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
Just make sure they are not Bonded Leather. It will not hold up.
I have the bonded leather on theater seats and am conditioning them every two weeks in the hope that I can extend the life of that material. Only time will tell if I helped or wasted money. I didn't realize the weakness of that material until after I ordered the unit.
However, The theater seats are great otherwise.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

theater seating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuppajoe View Post
I have the bonded leather on theater seats and am conditioning them every two weeks in the hope that I can extend the life of that material. Only time will tell if I helped or wasted money. I didn't realize the weakness of that material until after I ordered the unit.
However, The theater seats are great otherwise.
Lippert, who manufactures the Thomas Payne furniture with bonded leather recommends conditioning and protecting this furniture from direct sunlight. After reading your post I did some homework on it. Hope we don't have the problem with peeling that the other gentleman did. Thanks for the info.
Two Ole Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #10

I know that even the Lazy Boy recliners have a similar problem with the bonded furniture peeling. Happened to my mother's TT after less than two years. Went to Lazy Boy with photos of the recliner, as well the upholstery tag on the bottom of the chair. Replaced for free, less $98 charge for labor since they sent someone out to install. Fair deal.
Rusty

Tags
heater