Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
Happy Camper

Wally Receiver Not Connecting to Roof Mounted Tailgater

Yee-Haw! We just took delivery on a made to order 2020 39FKTH. I checked all the boxes including the Legacy Package.

I am having difficulty getting the Wally Receiver to connect to the roof mounted Tailgater. The factory installed all of this gear but I have not seen any diagrams to confirm the wiring from the various in-wall cable ports.

Does anyone know if the over the air antenna needs to be "off" when trying to sync up with the satellite?

Thanks for any advice!

2020 Riverstone Legacy 39FKTH
2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dully
Mr. Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #2

You need to determine which cable is the one that is connected to your sat dish and it should connect to your Wally. It needs to be a direct interconnect between the dish and Wally. Because it is an isolated cable it does not matter if the OTA booster is on or not. Not familiar with your unit but this should be the goal.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Happy Camper

Dish Network came out to troubleshoot the system. The only way they could get the signal to transmit from the Tailgater was a complete bypass of the Riverstone's coaxial wiring. They noted that the wiring in the rig is only rated at 1 GHz and their signal requires 3 GHz rated wire.

I will be calling Riverstone in the morning to get their perspective. The satellite and receivers were part of the package they sold me last week. So it will ultimately be on them to sort it out.

Has anyone else heard of this sort of issue?

Old 11-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

If your coax is RG6 (and all are today) then it is fine for Dish. Me thinks the tech was lost and offered a bogus explanation. Did he determine which cable inside your unit is the one going to the roof?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #5

A thousand posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mango View Post
Dish Network came out to troubleshoot the system. The only way they could get the signal to transmit from the Tailgater was a complete bypass of the Riverstone's coaxial wiring. They noted that the wiring in the rig is only rated at 1 GHz and their signal requires 3 GHz rated wire.

I will be calling Riverstone in the morning to get their perspective. The satellite and receivers were part of the package they sold me last week. So it will ultimately be on them to sort it out.

Has anyone else heard of this sort of issue?
Yes, there must be a thousand posts on this site regarding confusing or incorrect connections of coaxial cables. The Amish assemblers don't have this in their homes and probably don't have an easy way to test what they've done at the factory.

There are lots of fancy testers to find out what cable goes where, but you can do it with a simple multimeter set to any of the Ohms scales. I can post more detail if you want to figure this out for yourself. Otherwise you may find yourself dealing with more knuckleheads like the guy from Dish.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

First if you can connect direct from roof to walley and go thru the chech outs then you know what you bought is good . Then connect to the RV system of coax, turn off the OTA antenna, and yes Dish requires thec3 ohm connectors athecwall plates and any other junctions. Trace system to insure coax routing is correct and then hook up and test the wallet. I just went thru this with my 3 week old unit, as no one ever tested half the stuff in my RV.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

When my 5er was new from the factory I had issues with coax in the bedroom and in the media center. It turned out that several of the coax connectors were loose and thus not making a good connection. I checked all that I could find and for each I pushed, pinched or whatever to make sure the connect was good. After that all was good.

This was for the Over the Air antennae but the same principal applies. Before the Media center TV scanned in 5 channels and the Bedroom scanned in 12 channels. They should have been exactly the same. After I tightened all the connect each TV scanned in exactly 54 channels.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

My bedroom seems to scan better also. My Dish tech said in all the RVs they work on the biggest issue is swapped coats at gang connectors or a bad loose splitter hidden in the walls or under floors some where.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #9

As others posted, I had issues with no signal or poor signals and could not figure out which cable was which. I ended up starting behind the TV and find the cables were not tighten down. I ended up finding all of the connections and all of them were barely screwed on. Tighten every one of them and things worked (and figured which ones went where).
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The Amish assemblers don't have this in their homes and probably don't have an easy way to test what they've done at the factory.

Otherwise you may find yourself dealing with more knuckleheads like the guy from Dish.

@ Testing at the factory.

Off topic but here is a Knucklehead story.

We have a local cable company (Armstrong Utilities) which we have our cable Internet through. Have had it for over 20 years and never a problem. Starting in July during a thunderstorm I noticed the internet dropping out for a split second then modem reboots. Storm passed , all fine. Then it did it again during another storm in August. Didn't really think much about it.

One blustery day in September it cut in and out all day, about every 15 minutes. The harder the wind blew, the more often. I called support and they sent out a tech to look over the line from pole to house. We were not home so I do not know what he actually did. Did not solve the problem though, next windy day it does it again.

Call support again, tech comes a 2nd time. Checks out everything from the pole to house and every cable and connector in the house, installs new modem. First windy day in and out it goes, wind dies down, all is fine.

3rd tech comes out this past Saturday. Says when they can't figure out something they send the old guy lol. He changes the entire drop from pole to house, new cable, connectors, interface box on side of house. He says all the signal numbers came up higher, so that should solve the problem. Well it was windy yesterday and pop goes the weasel. Internet on and off every 15 minutes all day, wind died down at night, all is fine.

Techs are coming again today, support said I have to be here but do not know what for? The issue is somewhere between where my drop connects to the main feed at the pole, and their equipment somewhere. The kicker is my neighbor told me he noticed his does the same thing when it's windy which I relayed to support. Sure is not hard to determine where the issue lies, them finding it may be harder as it's evidently like pulling teeth. Somewhere the wind is blowing around a cable and they have a bad cable or connector.

Knuckleheads indeed.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #11

While not the source of your current problem, once you have your cabling sorted out you may want to take your wally to a local retailer to have the latest software update applied. Earlier this year Dish pushed an update that rendered wallys connected to tailgaters almost useless. A later update resolved the issues.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #12

too feelswift, on a windy go out and watch your antenna. Is the pole stable enough to hold it in the wind or does the wind push on the antenna (like a sail) and swing the pole back and forth?
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiken View Post
too feelswift, on a windy go out and watch your antenna. Is the pole stable enough to hold it in the wind or does the wind push on the antenna (like a sail) and swing the pole back and forth?

No antenna involved, that was my cable system at home. It was a side story regarding the knuckleheads one must deal with to get resolutions to problems when talking with a companies technical support. I took the thread off topic for which I apologize.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
Happy Camper

Well - thanks for the advice everyone. It was a combination of mis-routed wires and loose connections. I got the living room TV and Bedroom TV to both work off of their respective Wally receivers.

However, I can't get any image on the outdoor TV. I thought that it would mirror the image from one of the other TV's. There are two wall jacks, one presumably is for the over the air antenna and the other is labeled satellite. I wonder if the satellite is only for a park fed signal vs. the roof.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mango View Post
Yee-Haw! We just took delivery on a made to order 2020 39FKTH. I checked all the boxes including the Legacy Package.

I am having difficulty getting the Wally Receiver to connect to the roof mounted Tailgater. The factory installed all of this gear but I have not seen any diagrams to confirm the wiring from the various in-wall cable ports.

Does anyone know if the over the air antenna needs to be "off" when trying to sync up with the satellite?

Thanks for any advice!
Yes you must turn off the Digital antenna to get the wally to connect
it will take a few minutes to acquire the satellite's then it will go thur the remote set up and bam your in and ready to watch TV

Tags
mount, roo, roof