Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

19.5 VS. 19.6 dilemma

I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join so maybe I can get some expert feedback....
My wife and I are wanting to get a rv to enjoy the great outdoors without dealing with the oppressive Oklahoma heat and so she can have her private bathroom. I have a 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x auto for a TV and we really liked the nobo 19.5 and the size was OK for just the 2 of us + fat cat. That is until we saw the 19.6 online that came out this year. I plan on getting the prodigy brake controller and the Andersen WD hitch (to save weight) and since it's just the 2 of us, don't plan to pack heavy. I really would like to keep the frontier since it fits nicely in the garage, but need advice to see if I'm way out of my league trying to pull this combo with the 4.0l or would ya'll say it should be fine if we stay out of the rockies and northern states. Lol.
Thx for any help and don't worry about hurting my feelings with the replies.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

I am only asking because in my simpleton mind the 19.5 is around 6 to 700# lighter, but is a single axle which usually means added tongue weight. The 19.6 having dual axles would in theory handle the added weight better. The TV is rated at around 1K payload and 6100 towable, but I know the cross section has a lot to do with it and both are around the same height and width wise. Am I missing an important piece of the puzzle or should they both tow about the same in theory?
BTW- I just turned 49 last week so my days of racing semi's in the passing lane are over. I'm just looking for something that we won't outgrow in short order since RV's like cars take quite a hit in depreciation as soon as they leave the lot (unless it's an Airstream).
The only negative I see is the added axle will mean higher toll and tire costs and maybe trying to fit the longer one into the driveway...

Also if someone with the 19.5 can confirm that the posted overall length of 22'8" is truly from ball to bumper, I'd appreciate it.
Thx again.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #3

I think you're underestimating the weight gain. Also, the tongue weight of the dual axle 19.6 is quite a bit more, something to consider when the payload capacity is only 1k.
DES-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
I think you're underestimating the weight gain. Also, the tongue weight of the dual axle 19.6 is quite a bit more, something to consider when the payload capacity is only 1k.
125#. Thing is the 19.5 has a big storage area under the queen bed right in the front of the camper which I imagine would get you in trouble real quick with tongue weight. The 19.6 has the jackknife and murphy so not much room for storage directly over tongue. I might have to just wait and see one in person to get actual weights. The 19.6's I've seen online were all under the published dry weights according to the stickers (all the 19.5's were over btw ), but I guess we'll just have to see when one gets closer to home.

Do most dealers have a way to measure actual tongue weights without a lot of grief? might try that too.

Thx for the heads up DES!
Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Of those 2 choices, I like the 19.6 better, but my use case may be extremely different from yours.

The big reason I prefer the 19.6 is the 2nd axle. That gives you almost a ton more cargo carrying capacity. Now, maybe you and your wife and fat cat don't have that much stuff and CCC isn't that big a deal, but I like the idea of being able to load up with bike and kayaks and gear.

I am actually leaning toward the 19.1, even though I don't plan to haul a 4 wheeler. I like the idea that it has a big "den" that can be converted to different uses--dining, sleeping, open area for sitting, has a party deck, and will have plenty of storage space.
centex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

Thanks centex. I like the second axle too for the easier towing and better weight distribution. The 19.1 is nice, but the tongue weight puts it out of our league plus we are old and dont want to crawl over each other in middle of the night to pee with the east west bed.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

I can only comment on the 19.5, as that's the one I have. I have been extremely happy with it thus far. We have had it for jist over a year, and its seen about 5000 miles of road time so far, and it's about to see another 1800 miles next week. It's been flawless, except for a couple minor issues that I've resolved on my own. I couldnt be happier with our 19.5 purchase, and if your frontier has a tow rating of 6100 lbs you should be fine. The only consideration is tongue weight. I believe the 19.5 tongue weight is around 350 lbs.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

Well a 19.6 showed up recently at a dealer close to home and I was able to get a gander at it yesterday and believe it would be a perfect size for us. The sticker on door showed a dry weight of just over 4200# which I think should be fine, but the weight police might think otherwise for the hypothetical chance the zombie apocalypse breaks out and I have to pack everything I own into the camper and hit the road! Lol. I liked everything except for the cheezy slider sofa with the makeshift armrests, but would probably look at switching it out to a theater loveseat with end tables to fill slide. Just not sure how couch is attached (sitting on) slider or how far the slider floor extends under couch. Will have to take closer look at it when I take the DW, that was visiting family when I went, to look at it. It will probably be a while before I can jump on one since the sticks and bricks just got a new roof with a crazy high deductible (thx The Hartford! ) and I'll need to wait out the 737Max situation (line of work) before making another big purchase.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input in helping us with the decision.

On a side note: How long does a particular model stay in production? Does it vary like cars or is it pretty standard like just a couple of years before a redesign?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post

On a side note: How long does a particular model stay in production? Does it vary like cars or is it pretty standard like just a couple of years before a redesign?
I've seen models last only one model year. Our current TT was only around for two model years, 2015 and 2016.
It all depends on sales and demand.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Does it vary like cars or is it pretty standard like just a couple of years before a redesign?
I forgot to answer this.
If you look on a FR brochure, it'll say that they can make changes at any time, even mid-model year. Our previous trailer was an early built 2007 but had interior design fabrics/patterns from the 2006 model year. Redesigns can also happen mid-year. Seen it happen many times.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #11

You will likely struggle to pull either of those with your Nissan.

I bought the 19.5 last year with a 4.0 Tacoma and it struggled any time there was a headwind or going uphill - 4k RPM to hold highway speed was common.

Technically it was within limits and I don't feel that the weight was the major issue, mainly its' the wind profile. It's just the wife, myself and the dog.

I upgraded to the F150 and it works a charm.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
NoBo 66North

Test Drive

There is a significant amount of difference in handling the 800-pound base weight of the units. Take a test drive - at least around the dealer lot and see what you feel comfortable maneuvering from a weight and axle standpoint.

Am a newbie NoBo owner and just bought the 19.5, have moved for the big A-Liner Expedition which served me well for years. Went with the 19.5 because I go off-the-grid and miles between gas stations is always an issue for me. Imagine my dealer allowing me to tow both for semi-scientific mileage testing and the weight difference was just significant enough a difference in MPG for me.
66DegreesNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
You will likely struggle to pull either of those with your Nissan.

I bought the 19.5 last year with a 4.0 Tacoma and it struggled any time there was a headwind or going uphill - 4k RPM to hold highway speed was common.

Technically it was within limits and I don't feel that the weight was the major issue, mainly its' the wind profile. It's just the wife, myself and the dog.

I upgraded to the F150 and it works a charm.
+1
Yep, I wouldn't recommend this combination of TV/TT either (smaller truck with larger trailer). Whether a truck is capable of pulling this amount of weight is second to its ability to safely stop and maneuver. I tend to err on the side of caution though, better safe than sorry.
NoBoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #14
Salty Senior

Perfect NO BO

Quote:
I am only asking because in my simpleton mind the 19.5 is around 6 to 700# lighter, but is a single axle which usually means added tongue weight. The 19.6 having dual axles would in theory handle the added weight better. The TV is rated at around 1K payload and 6100 towable, but I know the cross section has a lot to do with it and both are around the same height and width wise. Am I missing an important piece of the puzzle or should they both tow about the same in theory?
BTW- I just turned 49 last week so my days of racing semi's in the passing lane are over. :
Sorry you are approaching your expiration date.

I fell in lust with the 19.6 floor plan... Murphy bed & BR Bar, best galley, and U Dinette... BUT I needed single axle to keep GW under 5k. No Bo would not consider my request!!! So I am waiting for my 19.5 and they would not let me exchange the 6.6 cu' absorption for the 8 cu' compressor fridge.

WHOA is me... BTW- I am staring at 82 this year and plan to land cruise in my No Bo for another 5 to 10 years and if my Telly won't pass the semis uphill, I'll replace the "flux Capacitor"...

Happy Trails... Gene
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #15

The 19.6 floor plan is definitely a winner. We purchased the 19.3 for the additional sleeping space and wanted to go with a non-slide model.

IMHO, you should reconsider one of two things; either drop down to a NOBO 16.2 (or other 16 series model) since it is just two of you or step up to a bigger tow vehicle.

The safety aspect is the biggest consideration. When I decided to buy the 19.3 I was planning on towing with my Tacoma which technically would have been able to do the job. Since the TT was on order most of the summer, I spent 6 weeks researching what to do. Considered trading in the Taco for an F-150 ECOboost v6 with Max Tow package. This didn't happen for several reasons. Long story short, I settled on keeping my Taco (love this truck) and purchased a nicely used 2008 Tundra CrewMax w/tow package with about 133k miles. Yes, now I have to insure an additional vehicle but it saves wear and tear on my day to day ride and the Tundra stays fully equipped for camping at all times.

My previous TT was an R-Pod 179 which was about 800 lbs lighter. The Taco could tow it but even with WDH it was strain on the 3.5 V6 when traveling in northern Alabama & Georgia. Flat Florida panhandle trips were no issue.

Matching the TV to the TT is probably more important than choosing the the TT with the features you like most. All said, you'll enjoy the experiences created!
BurlyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
Salty Senior

Perfect No Bo

We live in a condo in Pompano Beach, FL and the condo commandos (I are one!) have ruled no pu trucks. So my tug is an SUV, final choice Telluride for comfort most of the time when we are not camping. We hope the No Bo 19.5 will be comfortable for 2 of us for SE excursions and cross country travel.

Happy Travails

Gene.
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #17

Holy crypto thread, Batman!

Has it been over a year already?!?!?
I still am sans TT with all the craziness lately and plus I'm in the airline industry so job security is out the door now. Would hate to make a large purchase only to have to give it right back and ding my credit.
I still appreciate all the responses and hope it helps other people in their decisions.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #18
New to RVing

19.8 with a 2014 Frontier SE

I started the year with a 2014 Frontier SE. I originally purchased the truck because I wanted a truck and it fit nicely in the garage.

We purchased a NOBO 19.8 in January. I lusted after the 19.3, but felt it would put me too close to the hitch limit.

With the 19.8, I was 300# under payload with just me and the wife and about 10 gallons in the FW tanks - 6gal Hot Water heater full. Took some trips with the kids putting me right at GVW, though plenty of weight capacity left in the trailer. I hit a lot of scales to make sure I was in limits.

I live in Western PA and have to deal with pretty healthy hills to get anywhere. I travel right around 65. I used a Fastway E2 hitch and a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller.

The driving was a bit bouncy at times - not bad enough to make my car-sick DW upset, but noticeable to her - I assume due to the small wheel-base and lighter weight of the truck.

The RPMs would get up there on the hills, but the truck handled it fine and it's the only workout the truck would ever get. It did not bother me at all - I think that's a personal preference thing.

I averaged 10mpg, even with the local hills added in. Range was my biggest gripe, I compensated by tossing a few gas cans in the bed - takes some payload obviously.

I use my truck as a commuter - 16 mile round trip to work. I changed brakes at 60k+ miles. I never felt insecure stopping in the Frontier and believe they are sized pretty well based on how they lasted for short trip mileage.

I upgraded to a Tahoe in the summer because my college kids still wanted to take trips with us and more than 2 people in the Frontier was not comfortable. I chose the Tahoe because of payload (500# more than the Frontier) and it squeezes in the garage.

If the numbers work and upgrading the TV is an option, I would recommend getting the trailer you want and upgrade the TV if you don't like the feel.

I included a link to a similar question about a Tacoma.
See this Similar post - Looking to tow a 2021 NoBo 19-6 with a tacoma
Mr_Spark is offline   Reply With Quote