Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Bluetooth battery Monitor-Solar-DCtoDC charging

These Mods are a little more complex but very cool if you want an off grid - no generator system.

The PowerMon Bluetooth battery management system is a cheap ~$120 to watch battery levels, current power usage or power being added back into the system.

You can view all your details on your phone from anywhere Bluetooth has range, about 30 - 40 feet. Pic attached

I have a DC to DC Ctek charger that also works as my solar controller.

With this system I can charge my battery from 60% to full in about 2 hours of full sun or one hour attached to the truck. I did run some 6 gauge wires from the truck to the CTek for maximum flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	211178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	211179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	211180  
__________________

NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,969
What does the truck connection look like?

And what did you connect to in there?
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
More pics

The DC to DC wire is directly from my truck battery to the Ctek controller via a Anderson plug connection.

I used heavy booster cable wires and luckily the battery in the Discovery is in the back so it was not a far run.

I use the powermon as my switch which can stop all flow from my battery in either direction, essentially disconnecting it.

It also has the ability to kill the connection at any voltage or battery percent. So I automatically disconnect the battery if it gets below 50% saving my battery. It's nice having this hands free. When I know there is solar,DC-DC, or AC current coming in, I turn it back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	211196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	211197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	211198  
NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 4,415
Just as a comparison, for less than $200, the Victron 712 can handle up to 500A where this monitor only handles 60a unless you buy an external shunt which prices it above the Victron. Keep that in mind if you have an inverter.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Just as a comparison, for less than $200, the Victron 712 can handle up to 500A where this monitor only handles 60a unless you buy an external shunt which prices it above the Victron. Keep that in mind if you have an inverter.
True, true, but the unit does seem to have a lot of capabilities via the BlueTooth interface. Seems like the next step in SOC meters with everything available on the Smart Phone interface and nothing on the unit itself.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
True, true, but the unit does seem to have a lot of capabilities via the BlueTooth interface. Seems like the next step in SOC meters with everything available on the Smart Phone interface and nothing on the unit itself.
The Victron 712 already has all that information on a built in Bluetooth interface. That's how most people use it. It has a display but typically nobody uses it.

In addition, pair the Victron monitor with a Victron solar controller and it shares the voltage info with the solar controller for remote voltage sensing and temperature sensing.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The Victron 712 already has all that information on a built in Bluetooth interface. That's how most people use it. It has a display but typically nobody uses it.

In addition, pair the Victron monitor with a Victron solar controller and it shares the voltage info with the solar controller for remote voltage sensing and temperature sensing.
Hey, time marches on. Seems like a nice option for new purchasers. Trimetric also has a companion solar charger that uses its remote sense for charging and the readout is common. Their current product doesn't have BLE capability but they are going to have to upgrade to stay competitive. Trimetric also has a serial interface which I currently use for all of the functions that Victron and Thornwave have plus AGS and others. I don't think the Victron Smart offers internet connectivity for monitor and control at a distance. Today that capability is pretty much free from a hardware standpoint since the new crop of BLE controllers also have WiFi built in for no added cost. BLE is great but pretty limited for distance. Thornwave uses it to eliminate the need for any controls or displays on the device itself, allowing it to be installed in the battery compartment, which for some would be an advantage.

I bet Thornwave, Bogart and Victron are all going in a common direction.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
The 712 looks like a nice unit as well, I just shared what I used.

I did not need the screen, as I did not want or need more wires running to the trailer. I also like the versatility of having a shut of switch that kills all power to the trailer so I never need to disconnect the battery. This can also be programmed to happen automatically. 60amp x 12V = 720W that's far more than most people would ever need. It also looks like the 712 unit has no internal shunt and comes with a 500 amp shunt. Either unit can get shunts up to 10000 amp which is way out of the scope of this application.

Do you have the Victron? How do you like it?
NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoboUpNorth View Post
The 712 looks like a nice unit as well, I just shared what I used.

I did not need the screen, as I did not want or need more wires running to the trailer. I also like the versatility of having a shut of switch that kills all power to the trailer so I never need to disconnect the battery. This can also be programmed to happen automatically. 60amp x 12V = 720W that's far more than most people would ever need. It also looks like the 712 unit has no internal shunt and comes with a 500 amp shunt. Either unit can get shunts up to 10000 amp which is way out of the scope of this application.

Do you have the Victron? How do you like it?
Babock has a Victron, I have a Trimetric. If I were doing it today I would probably go with the PowerMon because of BLE and Internet and the reasons I listed. I would miss the digital interface however that I have been using on my Trimetric for years and I would need a little more information on the programmability as well.

Frankly, any SOC meter works. The Trimetric is the oldest, and Bogart is currently doing a revision but I haven't seen it yet. Victron is good as well.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 4,415
You can connect Victron products over the internet already. You just need the correct components.

You can also do logging which can be interesting on large systems. Not really needed on small systems of 2 or 4 batteries.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, charging, solar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.