Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Complete power disconnect

Hello, just bought a 2020 19.8. I've noticed almost immediately that some electricity is still supplied to the camper via blue light on antenna, green lights at USB connections etc. I tripped all the breakers but still seeing the same thing.

Anyone know how to completely shut off power without disconnecting from the battery? I did a search but didn't see anything like this, just assuming it will eventually drain the battery if left long enough?
Streck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

Put a disconnect switch right after the battery. I have mine on the positive side of the battery and it disconnects EVERYTHING except the battery monitor.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Put a disconnect switch right after the battery. I have mine on the positive side of the battery and it disconnects EVERYTHING except the battery monitor.
Thank you, I'll look to install one of those. Bummer it doesn't come equipped already!
Streck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

The breakers only control the 110v side of your trailer. The indicator lights you are seeing are all powered by your battery's 12v system. It's time to study up on how the electrical system on your wagon work and what the power source for all the components are.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Team

For an immediate solution, you can disconnect the wire on the negative side of the battery. Don't forget to reconnect before you tow. Might also check the 12V Side of Life in the forum Library ( in green bar above).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #6

Are you sure your rig doesn't already have a battery disconnect? Mine came with one. It is on the street side of the trailer frame near the battery. It is not obvious - you have to crane your neck or lay on the ground to see it. Mine has a red disconnect key and looks somewhat like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ATV-RV-Wa...10080301008005
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Are you sure your rig doesn't already have a battery disconnect? Mine came with one. Mine has a red disconnect key and looks somewhat like this
My factory battery disconnect switch doesn't stop all current flow. CO and propane monitors for example. Will drain the battery bank over time. You have to add a good true battery disconnect if you don't want any parasitic drain at all.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

In search of the lost manual

I'm a new 2020 NoBo 19.5 owner.
There is a button on my antenna plate that turns off the Antenna power. Also, I disconnected the TV from the wall outlet (if you have a 12v TV that connects via a cigarette lighter plug to a wall outlet).
In the "breaker box", there are small fuses for the 12v circuits, separate from the 120VAC breaker "switches". If you know which 12v circuits you need to disconnect . . . just remember to use the correct Amp rating fuse when you re-insert the removed fuses in the Spring. Mine came with a layout of the breakers and fuse amperages on the breaker box door.
Here in the high country, it's a long winter and you are correct in obsessing about not draining the battery over the storage period. I don't have 120VAC outlets anywhere near my storage location, so I've purchased a small solar panel and appropriate solar charging controller to connect to my batteries to keep them charged (and prolong their life) during storage.
I don't suggest getting a disconnect switch or manually disconnecting it if you're charging your battery from an onboard charging system or an onboard solar panel charging system. Because if you disconnect your battery at the terminal, it won't charge during storage.
If you do decide to disconnect your battery, it is generally recommended to disconnect the negative terminal which energizes the frame of your trailer (aka "negative ground"). Also, generally, there are fewer physical negative connections to your negative terminal that you'll need to reconnect in the Spring.
Just another NoBo Newbie searching for that NoBo specific owners manual . . . as the dealer's "instructor" probably knew less than I've learned about my new home on road.
This week's adventure is to search for the rumored "Hot Water Tank Bypass Valve" behind the hidden panels deep under the cabinets . . .
pcsdpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

I know my smoke detector has a 9V battery. I don't know about the CO and Gas detector though. Even though it will be unoccupied, you may want to think through disabling those detectors.
pcsdpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsdpo View Post
I know my smoke detector has a 9V battery. I don't know about the CO and Gas detector though. Even though it will be unoccupied, you may want to think through disabling those detectors.
The CO/propane detector should be hard-wired to the trailer battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power