Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

In your opinion... what are must-have add-ons for NoBo?

We just purchased a new 19.8 NoBo. Can't wait to get it out for our first trip.

Was curious about everyone's thoughts about what we should look at adding...

Was thinking about a back-up camera... and potentially an onboard surge protector... anything else I should be thinking about?
breedsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

From the sounds of the rest of the people on here, you might think of replacing the Westlake tires at the earliest convenience. Not sure if they're as bad as the Castlerocks, but better safe than sorry. That is if you're going to be doing a lot of traveling.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

I have over 16,000mi on my castle rocks. Make sure they're aired up and note the speed rating. No tires are blow-up proof.

EMS? Many believe in them. Never had one. Don't have "sensitive electronics" (there's really no such thing, they're made for voltage variations, etc).

Backup camera.. love having one. Saves needing a spotter and is more reliable.

TPMS..a good idea, unless you enjoy frequently checking pressures. Mine is a tire minder and is solar. People like tst, it seems.

Camp chairs?
Fire poker?

Keep it simple. Make a list for next time. No need to have a bunch of crap other people can't live without.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #4

All good stuff. Thanks.

Any recs on back-up camera?

Some other questions... any ideas about how many amps the NoBo 19.8 is?

And a newbie question... what does the power inverter do? The dealer mentioned that they had not seen one installed on a NoBo before.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedsimps View Post
All good stuff. Thanks.

And a newbie question... what does the power inverter do? The dealer mentioned that they had not seen one installed on a NoBo before.
is your NoBo pre-wired for one, usually Furrion?

should be 30 amp

an INverter changes 12v DC battery power to 110v AC power, while a CONverter changes 110v AC power to 12v DC power.

all RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters.

did your dealer not explain this, during the PDI?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #6

Ok... good to know.

It's entirely possible that they explained it... lot's of information for my little newbie brain to take in. Should have recorded the inspection.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 AM   #7

And it is a WFCO.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #8

Looks like the normal stuff has been covered. My suggestion is "Two" can openers. One for a spare is case you lose the other one. Happy Travels from Eastern Nebraska / Northwest Missouri.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Rookie

Quote:
All good stuff. Thanks.

Haloview MC5111 5'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera System 5'' LCD Rear View Monitor and IP69K Waterproof Reversing Built in DVR Kit for Trucks/Trailer/Bus/RVs/Pickups/Camper/Vans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQSSP63..._j7FIDbN9105FC

Haloview B-F02 Backup Camera Bracket Adapter Compatible with Furrion Pre-Wired RVs for Haloview MC5111/CA109 Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBTPHCM..._B7FIDbB9680S0
Old 09-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #10

I've got about 6500 miles on my Westlakes, and they are holding up fine. I also invested in a standalone tpms and I monitor it closely. Dual propane tank upgrade is a good one, and at the very least a good set of tire covered for when its sitting.

Scott
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:

Was thinking about a back-up camera... and potentially an onboard surge protector... anything else I should be thinking about?

Tire monitors would be on my short list, I’ve had good luck with my Tireminders and they’ve saved me a few times.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

I reinforced a portion of the pass thru wall and mounted a small handgun safe. Can put important documents, $$, etc in it when away from the unit. Nothing is perfectly safe in any trailer, but doing this right makes it harder to get the safe out and the contents more secure.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:

I’ve had my nobo 16.7 for a year now and what I’ve experienced so far is wishing I had a larger or dual propane tanks and dual batteries.
NoBoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoNoob View Post
I’ve had my nobo 16.7 for a year now and what I’ve experienced so far is wishing I had a larger or dual propane tanks and dual batteries.
Dual propane tanks and dual batteries are both fairly simple modifications and the tongue of the trailer should have room. I have already done the dual propane tank mod and I bought everything I needed on Amazon, with the exception of the propane tanks, as I already had those.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #15

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
Dual propane tanks and dual batteries are both fairly simple modifications and the tongue of the trailer should have room. I have already done the dual propane tank mod and I bought everything I needed on Amazon, with the exception of the propane tanks, as I already had those.
Ya, they will definitely be easy mods. I'm a mechanic by trade, just need the time to get it done ha! Now that I think about it, a battery disconnect wouldn't be a bad idea while I'm at it.
NoBoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #16

quiet iinverter generator if doing any camping without full services
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
Canadian Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum from up north.

First the basics. A good quality sewer dump hose (get 2 in case you need the extra length), a couple of good quality water hoses and a water pressure regulator. Be sure to have and use a good quality water filter, too, unless you’ll always bring water from home. You can search for the tons of threads here on those items and decide what brands you want to buy.

For the backup camera, I would go with the Haloview backup camera that Mrprovy linked to. I have the newer Furrion Vision S and its just OK. The 4.3” screen is a bit small and its not bright enough and almost impossible to use with polarized sunglasses on. I do get a good strong signal without a repeater on my 35’ fifth wheel though.

A few posters recommended a TPMS. I don’t think its a must have. If you have concerns about tires blowing, I’d upgrade to a better quality tire first. Less worrying about poor tires that way. A TPMS can only worn you about a slow leak.

If you’re going to be camping without services (boondocking) then a good inverter generator and a couple 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries connected in series would be must haves. LiFePo4 batteries are the rage these days but they are very expensive. Not sure how much solar you could mount on the roof of a NoBo.

If you’re going to camp at campgrounds, then a Progressive Industries EMS should be high on your wish list. Not a must have but definitely valuable. Mine catches low voltage situations more than anything else but I have seen high voltage and hot skin situations.

Happy camping!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote