Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Nobo 10.6 mod, Cargo net - gear loft

This mod was created for the issue of where do I put my bed mats when I do put a quad, bunch of bikes or dirty gear into the trailer.
My solution which works well but still being tweaked is to have a a cargo net near the ceiling that holds the mats.

A couple of very handy side uses for this net are,
1) A gear or cloths loft at night. We put our morning cloths and jacket above the door so when you wake up, the is no fuss. It is also great for drying cloths.
2) A large bug net for a side door. If I want max air flow I can keep my door open and I have a net that can hang down and cover the door, much like the back door.

Install:
I picked up a heavy duty 4.5 x 5' cargo net and a bunch of small D-rings to install. I also used some white wood strips as the studs would not line up with were I would want the D-rings. The strips were screwed to the walls at a height that allowed the cargo net to be under the mats. If it is too high the mats would pinch on the edges and you would never get them in. The D-rings were placed, lining up with the load holes of the cargo net.
One side is connected with cheap carabiners and the the othe with ropes the I can loosen to give room to easily put the mats in, then pull them tight. I have yet to pick up a proper clip as my temporary food clips have worked so far.
I may also add a couple of curtain rod ends and a rod to go across as the pulling of the rope does not bring them flush unless I really pull. I don't thing the D-ring boards will last if I have to strong pull it every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	212057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	212058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	212059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	212060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	212061  

NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

This is great!

I can almost map out from your photos where you found the wood studs.

I’ve tried to find the trailer stud structure online without luck.

I’ve used tension curtain rods (need to go to 60 inches) across our trailer. That might work for you too to add support under the mats.

It would be so great if Forest River just shipped these trailers with a wood across the top of each wall! It would offer so many possibilities.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #3

Not all my screws hit studs, and they are not wood. If I hit the metal stud, I predrilled a small hole, then added the screw. The easiest is the ones on either side of the door.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

metal vs wood studs

so around the door is wood, but the other studs are metal? Good to know. Maybe a metal detector will help find them rather than a stud finder!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

The studs by my door were metal, is yours built with the Abdel walls? I’m not sure if there is different construction types for the framing.
I tried a stud finder, and the magnets from the screen. No luck with either. Might be aluminum.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

So basically, all of the studs are metal?

Yes Azdel wall material is used in all of the NoBo I believe.

Tags
cargo, loft