Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

NOBO 19.1 Toy Hauler

Has anyone taken a good look at the new NOBO 19.1 toy hauler? Interested in your impressions. I've seen the online videos and it might just have the extra room I'm looking for. One of the videos shows a zippered screen opening and porch-like barriers on the back, wonder if those are factory options or standard? If anyone has seen the specs, please add a link to this thread!
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

The 19.1 caught my attention as well because it's only 7' wide. But its still to long to get to secluded camp sites at 25' long imo.

Plus, it has the laminated walls we are all so fond of..
rerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
RV There Yet?

that is very similar to my 17RP's layout. the 17RP is under 22 feet long, 7 feet wide and is stick and tin construction. zipper screen door was an option on ours.

this looks like a very nice unit too! i like the dual couch set up at the back and the full size fridge and dry bath. ours is a wet bath.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
that is very similar to my 17RP's layout. the 17RP is under 22 feet long, 7 feet wide and is stick and tin construction. zipper screen door was an option on ours.

this looks like a very nice unit too! i like the dual couch set up at the back and the full size fridge and dry bath. ours is a wet bath.
Will have to look up the 17RP. 👍🏻
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

Ignore the 110 lbs black bear, but this should give you an idea of the inside of our 17RP. the bed is a Full XL, so its full width of the camper, window next to the bathroom. its the smaller fridge, shelf on top. tv is above the big window next to the entry door. we added the plastic drawer unit next to the kitchen cabinets/sink for storage. stove is next to the sink, microwave and stereo are above. vented range hood as well (vents outside). we ditched the table for the fold in half blow molded 4 foot table. way easier to move around. the other picture just shows the length connected to our '09 F150 crew cab, 6.5 box. it doesnt even know this thing is back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	198481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	198482  
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Ignore the 110 lbs black bear, but this should give you an idea of the inside of our 17RP. the bed is a Full XL, so its full width of the camper, window next to the bathroom. its the smaller fridge, shelf on top. tv is above the big window next to the entry door. we added the plastic drawer unit next to the kitchen cabinets/sink for storage. stove is next to the sink, microwave and stereo are above. vented range hood as well (vents outside). we ditched the table for the fold in half blow molded 4 foot table. way easier to move around. the other picture just shows the length connected to our '09 F150 crew cab, 6.5 box. it doesnt even know this thing is back there.

Funny how your bear sits..

That's a great looking trailer and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. But I had so many leaks in the surv featherlite toyhauler I used to own, I would be paranoid about wood construction..
Old 03-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
Funny how your bear sits..

That's a great looking trailer and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. But I had so many leaks in the surv featherlite toyhauler I used to own, I would be paranoid about wood construction..
she is a goof for sure! i always worry about leaks too, but i figure that if i keep up with the seams it should be ok for a while
Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Ignore the 110 lbs black bear...

the other picture just shows the length connected to our '09 F150 crew cab, 6.5 box. it doesnt even know this thing is back there.
Nice canine-bear, LOL. And yours is a sweet looking rig to be sure. I'll definitely research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
I hear what your'e saying about construction and materials. Is there even an affordable brand made with better materials?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
I hear what your'e saying about construction and materials. Is there even an affordable brand made with better materials?

No..

What I did was bought a used featherlite which held its value for the four years I owned it. Granted, I busted my butt redoing everything. But I sold it for more than I paid, after investing time and money..

I don't think the next trailer I buy will be a wash though, and my featherlite might have been beginner's luck..
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
Has anyone taken a good look at the new NOBO 19.1 toy hauler? Interested in your impressions. I've seen the online videos and it might just have the extra room I'm looking for. One of the videos shows a zippered screen opening and porch-like barriers on the back, wonder if those are factory options or standard? If anyone has seen the specs, please add a link to this thread!
We just bought a fully loaded NOBO 19.1. It came with the party deck, bug screen, privacy shade, 100 watt solar, and a 1000 watt pure wave inverter. Hopefully this little toy hauler is gonna hold up.
Mernagh303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mernagh303 View Post
We just bought a fully loaded NOBO 19.1. It came with the party deck, bug screen, privacy shade, 100 watt solar, and a 1000 watt pure wave inverter. Hopefully this little toy hauler is gonna hold up.

Let us know how you like it after a few times out please.. Is it kept outside?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #12

So about two months with the 19.1 toy hauler and have a few thoughts to share. My number one complaint is that the non ducted ac is useless in the front of the trailer where the bed is. Zero air flow and have to use two fans to get any air flow up there. Second, the factory over tightened and stripped out ever single sheet metal screw. On the first trip the sofa and outside awning fell off within 50 miles. Had to buy a case of slightly bigger screws to fix everything. And a small issue was the black gaskets for the garden hose hook up to fresh water and black tank clean outs were missing. I received and extra shower.. lol... Now for the good stuff, it has plenty of space for a 20 foot trailer. It's pulls really well behind my 1/2 ton Chevy. The new entry steps are super solid, the outside dual color led lights are super nice. Overall I'm really happy with for the price. Especially after working the bugs out.
Mernagh303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #13

Yikes, someone must have had their screw gun on the wrong setting. The other items, just come with the territory when you have a low cost and lightweight trailer. We have a 19.7 and will probably stick with it as it's pretty much debugged and has lots of storage...if it had just a bit more floor space for our dogs it'd be near perfect. Floor space was what piqued my intrest in the 19.1.

Glad to here you've got the initial issues solved (always best to D-I-Y in my opinion). Trailers are a tinkerer's dream, always 1 more mod to do
Old 12-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #14

I bought a 2020 19.1 2 months ago and so far I like it

I am upgrading from a Casita Spirit which was a fantastic solid little fiberglass trailer, but I got into motorcycles and needed a toy hauler plus the Casita's 17ft was great 15 years ago and we were younger and it was our first trailer, but living in the back of a van got old.

The NOBO 19.1 seemed like a logical choice going up from a great waterproof all fiberglass trailer, so the AZDEL composite and aluminum construction and off roadish nature of the trailer got my attention. I used to do allot of camping on the beach. We are in Houston.

The layout is really nice, not so super big, but certainly bigger than our old trailer and garage is doubling as a office right now for the wife. I believe the garage is 10ft long.

We went to home depot and had short pile carpet cut by the foot to 10ft and its 12ft wide, so when you slice off the 3 ft edge you get a perfect strip for the hallway.

Looks nice and we roll it up when we load the bikes.

My main complaints is overall construction technique. It appears that all the components are fairly good quality but its thrown together so fast, they didn't even clean up the saw dust. I mean saw dust in every crease and I got screws lodged down between cabinets and its just ludicrous honestly. The door kept flying open from the dealer on the way home and I discovered they had not drilled the hole for the latch or deadbolt. Someone screwed the striker plate straight up against the outside door wall railing so it seemed like it was closed.

One of the cabinets started to fall off and thats when I saw they used really short air staples to put the cabinets together. First thing I did was right then and there just miles from the dealer we went to a Home Depot and I bought a bunch of those QuickGrip clamps and clamped the cabinets together where ever I saw gaps forming form the staples coming out.

I have since glued and ran stainless screws in multiple areas and have been very pro-active with everything on this trailer.

First thing you will want to do as soon as you get these NOBO trailers is vacuum everything out well. Check all the cabinets by pulling on them and so forth, with the pipes. P-trapped just popped apart on me driving. Yeh go through this trailer well.

Also throw out the horrible mattress. I literally got about a month out of it, and it collapsed. Its really just a showpiece mattress. Just to show off the trailer at the dealer. Get a good queen size mattress you like but be sure that its flexible. You will need to bend it some like a taco to get it through the hallway and into the bedroom area.

That somewhat separate bedroom area was one of the biggest selling features for me. It had a decent bathroom, and if you run a shower curtain on the garage side of the hallway, you can separate the garage from the bedroom and can dress. So this had a really unique layout like this. Most of the other toy haulers in the 25ft range didn't have the bedroom area, or had it sideways, and this has a nice 3 big bay window view.

Some upgrades. The Walmart Deep Cycle its a big battery with 2 year warranty for $100 ea, two of those fit perfect side by side on the battery holder. This and a voltage inverter I did immediately and also the single tank propane is not very good. It has no indicator as to how much you have, no fail-over. So I will upgrade that to twin tanks soon.

It pulls very well using a load balancing hitch and my 1/2 ton truck. I have had bikes in it now twice and I cannot really tell the difference.

My overall arching concern is with all the stories I am reading about cabinets falling apart, and people posting videos of that online, that this poor construction technique will translate over to the aluminum ribbing and welds or any other problems with the body like panels separating, things that just cannot be easily fixed. I doubt they put an entire weld across each joint, and I hope I am wrong. If they just merely tack-welded the aluminum together, thats my biggest fear. The trailer itself, the frame, and the axles seem pretty well made, but what if the walls , the laminate, the welds are all as bad as the interior falling apart?

Some recommendations to Forest River. Go the extra step and cleanup the trailers before you sale them. Get all the sawdust and screws out. Have someone in the QC dept double check everything. Run real stainless screws through the cabinet joints. Honestly if I was going to be using air staples because I just want the speed, for heavens sake use really good fasteners or longer brads that don't pull out. Is it really that much more money to put a extra 1/2" of metal in it?

A nice touch also would be, an optional second TV for the bed area. Also lighted switches. The panel with all the black switches cannot be seen and takes quite a while to learn as a result.
I placed a small USB light shining up on the switches. The stair case needs full time lighting, and not have it patched only into the very very bright porch light which you won't be running all the time. A floor interior light, or lights in the garage area down low would also be a nice touch, maybe have that combined with the stair light.

So far I have been staying ahead of it. Added a second 24 in tv next to the front cabinets for when we are in bed. Its coming together, but time will tell. Like I was saying my main concern is the actual trailer body itself. If thats good, then I can deal with all the little stuff falling apart.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler