Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

NoBo 19.5 -- The two-coax-connector conundrum

Greetings NoBo'rs.

While at last week's FROG Rally in Goshen, I got a chance to tour the NOBO factory -- basically two large buildings with a track-assembly line and lots of Amish guys (and one girl) with radios, tool-belts and air compressor tools putting up floors, walls, plumbing, electrical, etc. It was interesting.

While there, I had one question that's been bugging me since we bought our 19.5 last October, one that the dealer had no clue about (I know, big surprise), and one I thought I'd get answered while talking to the guys that installed that stuff.

There's two coax connectors on the inside, one with a power button. There's two coax connectors on the outside, labeled Cable/Satellite and a "ladybug" antenna on the roof. There's also absolutely no documentation on any of the above. So, what goes with what?

The marketing guy giving us the tour had no clue and didn't know there were two outside connectors. He brought in the electrical production guy who had only heard of those two connectors but wasn't sure what did what. Then he conferred with a couple of other guys that did electrical and the production floor manager...and finally we got an answer and some history.

The internal connector without the power button connects to the Satellite connector. The other internal connector, the one with the power button, connects to the ladybug antenna AND the outside Cable connector -- and will not work with either unless the power (power boost) button is turned on. If you add an external antenna, connect it to the Cable connector on the outside, connect the TV to the powered connector on the inside, and it should supplement the digital signals the ladybug will pick up. Or you can just connect the TV to the non-powered inside connector, connect the antenna to the Satellite connector and bypass the ladybug all together.

This design was changed a while ago to one outside connector because they thought the two outside connectors would just confuse customers. To which I shrugged, smiled, and said "Obviously". LOL. I also told them I'd share this with others on this forum, and they thanked me.

Oh...I also told them that the ladybug was awful -- that I could pick up more signals dangling a cheap HD antenna I bought on Amazon out the window. So they're aware.

So, hopefully, this will help anyone with a question of what works with what.

Happy NOBOing....

Oh...some pics:

jrbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbirdman View Post
Greetings NoBo'rs.

While at last week's FROG Rally in Goshen, I got a chance to tour the NOBO factory -- basically two large buildings with a track-assembly line and lots of Amish guys (and one girl) with radios, tool-belts and air compressor tools putting up floors, walls, plumbing, electrical, etc. It was interesting.

While there, I had one question that's been bugging me since we bought our 19.5 last October, one that the dealer had no clue about (I know, big surprise), and one I thought I'd get answered while talking to the guys that installed that stuff.

There's two coax connectors on the inside, one with a power button. There's two coax connectors on the outside, labeled Cable/Satellite and a "ladybug" antenna on the roof. There's also absolutely no documentation on any of the above. So, what goes with what?

The marketing guy giving us the tour had no clue and didn't know there were two outside connectors. He brought in the electrical production guy who had only heard of those two connectors but wasn't sure what did what. Then he conferred with a couple of other guys that did electrical and the production floor manager...and finally we got an answer and some history.

The internal connector without the power button connects to the Satellite connector. The other internal connector, the one with the power button, connects to the ladybug antenna AND the outside Cable connector -- and will not work with either unless the power (power boost) button is turned on. If you add an external antenna, connect it to the Cable connector on the outside, connect the TV to the powered connector on the inside, and it should supplement the digital signals the ladybug will pick up. Or you can just connect the TV to the non-powered inside connector, connect the antenna to the Satellite connector and bypass the ladybug all together.

This design was changed a while ago to one outside connector because they thought the two outside connectors would just confuse customers. To which I shrugged, smiled, and said "Obviously". LOL. I also told them I'd share this with others on this forum, and they thanked me.

Oh...I also told them that the ladybug was awful -- that I could pick up more signals dangling a cheap HD antenna I bought on Amazon out the window. So they're aware.

So, hopefully, this will help anyone with a question of what works with what.

Happy NOBOing....

Oh...some pics:

Me thinks you got baffled with BS.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

In what way?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #4

Well first off if your reference to the "ladybug" antenna is the over the air topside antenna then it has an amplifier (booster) that is powered via the switch plate button (green or red light on) and that switch plate button must be off (light off) when park cable is attached to the outside cable port to get cable viewing. If you attach an alternative over the air antenna to the cable port and it is not a powered antenna the switch plate button must also be off. The sat input port with an open termination at the other end is a good thing. This observation is predicated upon my understanding of your post. If my understanding is wrong this post and my previous post is a moot point.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

I'm with Bubbles. You are describing the standard installation. The outside input for cable goes to the antenna booster/splitter and on to the televisions. The outside input for satellite is a direct line to the other inside fitting where you would connect the satellite box (if you have one.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Continued...

The difference here, I think, is whether or not you need the powerboost turned on if you're connecting the park cable system vs your own antenna. (I hadn't talked to the guys at the NOBO plant about that one).

It makes sense that you don't need it for a cable system connection. The antenna however...

I got contacts for both the service manager (from the Rally) and the marketing guy that gave us the tour. I'll follow up with them for clarification. If anyone else has something they'd like cleared...concerning the entertainment hook up, let me know in the next few days and I'll get back to everyone.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Commercial Member

On the inside power button. Green light on you have TV antenna powered. Light off you have cable. and Winegard was in the F building at the rally.
Winegardtravler XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Correct, they would be the same if no power boost is used. However on my unit the cable antenna side is split so as to provide a cable output on the awning side of the trailer. The satellite antenna input only goes to the satellite connector inside the unit and not to any other cable outlets.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #9

Thanks Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well first off if your reference to the "ladybug" antenna is the over the air topside antenna then it has an amplifier (booster) that is powered via the switch plate button (green or red light on) and that switch plate button must be off (light off) when park cable is attached to the outside cable port to get cable viewing. If you attach an alternative over the air antenna to the cable port and it is not a powered antenna the switch plate button must also be off. The sat input port with an open termination at the other end is a good thing. This observation is predicated upon my understanding of your post. If my understanding is wrong this post and my previous post is a moot point.

Bubbles, I like your explanation it makes great sense to me to help solve my issues of not getting cable when hooked up at a campground. I can’t wait to try your suggestion the next time I am able to get a site with cable. {Isn’t it awful how you have to put a disclaimer on everything you say in these forums, people can be so inconsiderate. Thanks again for your insight}
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

COaxial Connectors

The Coax inside that has the red lite is for when your roof antenae is being used. When using, press the button and make sure the red light is on. Outside, never heard of "ladybug/bird" but if using local cable, that's where you connect it. Make sure the red light inside is off.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #11

Were you the Winegard rep at the Rally, btw?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #12

FR calls it a "Ladybug" because of the shape of the cover and the two antenna the stick up.