Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #1

Nobo fresh water drain question?

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a Nobo 10.6. I did the walk through yesterday but this was the first Nobo they ever sold. I felt like we were figuring out a lot of things together rather than a guided walk through.

One thing that I found really odd was the fresh water drain. It was a plastic pipe that hung down about 4-5 inches from the bottom of the unit. It had no protection and looks like it would get ripped off in about 5 min of any even mild off road activity. Any 6 inch rut would would destroy it.

My question is, does anybody else with a 10.6 have this? My hope is it was set up wrong. If this is correct, has anybody looked into making it more flush mount? Or skid plate?

I should have taken a picture as I won't pick it up till spring.

NoboUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #2

If there is enough pipe, have the dealer cut it shorter and reattach the drain valve.

TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Have you ever owned a camper before? Most/all campers have a drain (freshwater) that hangs down 4-6 inches, somewhere on the under side. Mine does, and the Fresh water tank 'breather' tube is right beside it. you should have nothing to worry about.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Yes, first trailer. I was pulling a cargo trailer that will filled with Camping stuff. Most of my camping is done off grid. I can't remember a trip where I was not in ruts or rocks that would easily rip that off. I thought the nobo 10.6 (forest river version of a off road utility trailer) would be geared a little better for off road.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

I may do that or do it my self. I'm guessing the tank it self has threads for the pipe to go in, and threads on the other side for the cap. Perhaps there is a shorter pipe, or if not, I can cut and rethread the length hanging out.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
If there is enough pipe, have the dealer cut it shorter and reattach the drain valve.

X2 ... mistakes/oversights do get out of the factory, ... point it out to the dealer, any reputable dealer will see the problem with that and gladly correct it, ... I'm pretty sure dealers get to bill FR for parts and labor when they have to do that sort of repairs/corrections, so it's not a loss for them, ... happy camping, ...

ps: ... by getting the dealer involved, if it is SOP from the factory and is nothing to worry about, they can say so, ... but if it is a mistake/oversight out of the factory, they will be aware of it and able to correct it, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoboUpNorth View Post
I may do that or do it my self. I'm guessing the tank it self has threads for the pipe to go in, and threads on the other side for the cap. Perhaps there is a shorter pipe, or if not, I can cut and rethread the length hanging out.

I do not believe the 'pipe' has threads on it... it is glued/melted on... leave it alone. I would caution against cutting it off more than it is now. A lot of 'thought' goes into these things and it is 'standard' from factory.

'But'... it is your camper... modify any way you want. but I see no need to go 'looking' for issues that may/will never be a problem. I guaranty you that you will have more things to worry about than a short hose under your unit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I do not believe the 'pipe' has threads on it... it is glued/melted on... leave it alone. I would caution against cutting it off more than it is now. A lot of 'thought' goes into these things and it is 'standard' from factory.

'But'... it is your camper... modify any way you want. but I see no need to go 'looking' for issues that may/will never be a problem. I guaranty you that you will have more things to worry about than a short hose under your unit.
Cutting off my drain line was the first thing I did to my TT. Wanted to get rid of cap and install a 1/4 turn valve. The valve would've been too low, so I removed the factory piece and installed my valve right on the TEE that also leads to the FW pump.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoboUpNorth View Post
Most RV's have a "fresh water tank drain" and a "hot water low point drain and a cold water low point drain." (Some only have one low point drain.)

If what you're talking about is a low point drain, it does not attach to the tank. The tank will either have a separate drain valve OR may simply have a screw-in drain plug, which you could replace with a drain valve if you want.

See attached "generic plumbing" pic.

Looking at pics of your rig online, it looks pretty spartan.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...0-6/1385799751

I don't see a water heater or a toilet. It looks like you only have a cold water "spray" thing on that blue coiled hose. So I'm guessing you do have a water pump.

So my guess is that your 6" inch hose is a low point drain and your water tank has a drain plug, not a valve. But until you start looking, you won't know for sure.

Happy hunting!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (125.1 KB, 32 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Regardless of whether the fitting is intentional or not, your instincts on ground clearance are probably right. And your willingness to modify the fitting is good. My suggestion is that, if you have the opportunity, replace the drain valve with a more substantial brass quarter-turn ball valve. The drain valve on my PUP still works after 5 seasons, but it feels delicate and fragile...as it's plastic. When I inevitably break it, I intend to replace it with a more sturdy fitting.

By the way, the drain on my PUP is tucked up tightly...no pipe whatsoever. It exits the side of the tank at the lowest possible point, goes straight out, and the plastic valve dumps downward with no pipe extension.

If you feel as if you need a pipe extension on either the low-point drain(s) (for winterizing) or the fresh tank, I'd suggest using clear, soft plastic tubing that can take an impact from a stump or rock. The valve on the fresh tank drain should be installed as high as possible and the drain tube extension added after the valve.

Your NoBo should already be lifted. I had to install a lift kit on my torsion axle on my PUP, because my stairs were taking a beating and the black-tank drain was in grave jeopardy. I only go on somewhat poorly maintained gravel roads, but I don't go "off-road," so follow your instincts and protect your rig. An impact on any plumbing dangling in harm's way can lead not only to a broken fitting, it might also wreck the tank as well. If you have black or grey tanks, they are typically integral with the toilet and shower, and, unlike the fresh tank, a chore to replace.

Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water, water