Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Refrigerator vent cap

Our refrigerator vent cap is gone. We bought the unit in June but the service man says plastic is not covered so we had to pay $25 for a new vent cap but there is no guarantee it will fit. I am attaching photo of vent area, remnant of plastic posts that formerly held cap to vent area, photo of opposite site of vent cap with posts sheared off, top view of replacement vent cap and underside view of vent cap.
The screws that came with the replacement should reach the vent holes. So the cap will be anchored with 4 long screws.
However, the cap is aerodynamic if it is facing the direction of travel. Our cap will be broadside to direction of travel. I expect this one will disappear just as the original one did. We will try to glue the cap to the roof but it's such a narrow strip that I don't know if it will hold.
Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open vent.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	212889   Click image for larger version

Name:	reminents of vent cap.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	212890   Click image for larger version

Name:	sheared side.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	212891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of new cap.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	212892   Click image for larger version

Name:	underside of new cap.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	212893  

SueRoeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #2

Something you might consider is to put a small faring on the forward side the length of the vent cover to keep the wind from picking it up. This would not interfere with venting when stopped but may keep the cover on the rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Refrigerator vent cap

After thinking about the vent cap and the posts broken on one end and sheared at the other, I have come to the conclusion that the sheared end was not broken at all, apparently the 2 screws that should have been installed at the factory were not put in.
Thus this is a quality control issue at Forest River. I have contacted them with pictures and am awaiting their reply.

The idea to add a flaring is sound. We will try to find something that will work
Thanks
SueRoeske is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, vent