Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Using the trailer as a cargo hauler

Question about our 10.6...

We would like to use the empty trailer to carry large items (furniture, boxes etc). My husband, David and I disagree about how to pack it (universal disagreement, right?).

He thinks we should packing it tightly, wall to wall, and this tight packing will keep everything secure during travel.

We are carrying cases of wine, plastic tubs, cardboard boxes filled with books, etc.

I don’t think the wall material in the trailer is strong enough to stabilize the contents during travel. I’m worried a strong bump will cause a box to dent or puncture the wallboard.

I think we need to use the D-rings and straps and keep contents away from the wallboards.

He asked me to post this question to see what you all think?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #2

I think if you want to haul cargo, you should get a cargo trailer. Something such as built by Haulmark or Featherlite. I would not expect the outcome to be good using a trailer designed as an RV for cargo and made by Forest River or Thor etc., Even if it's claimed to be a toy hauler by the builder. You're lucky if they stay together just using them for camping.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

Oh gosh - sounds like you have had more than your share of problems!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeslin Family View Post
Oh gosh - sounds like you have had more than your share of problems!

No, not many. Just a case of using the right tool for the job.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Team

Rent a cargo trailer. Most smaller TT have very limited cargo capacity and no way to secure items. You will most likely stress the frame and tires/wheels as well as damaging the interior.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
No, not many. Just a case of using the right tool for the job.
well there is truth in that. We bought the trailer for camping and fun, but have a bunch of stuff to haul to our daughters wedding and wanted to use it.. so just checking experienced users opinions.

We got a lot of feedback and will be careful to protect the walls, and put the cases of wine and beer in the TV.

thanks again!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Rent a cargo trailer. Most smaller TT have very limited cargo capacity and no way to secure items. You will most likely stress the frame and tires/wheels as well as damaging the interior.
The 10.6 is a toy hauler and is rated for some pretty heavy loads. It has huge tires and independent suspension to support a dune buggy or ATV in the trailer. It also has 4 D rings in the floor for tie down.

What it doesn't have is sturdy bang-proof wallboards. They are made of Azdel and are pretty soft.

We have gotten a lot of feedback, and I think we will secure items away from walls, pad walls where they touch, and put the cases of wine and beer in our TV.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Pack the boxes as you would in any cargo trailer, tightly together with no movement.
If a box goes smashing through the wall you've either not packed it correctly or you're going WAY too fast and the contents of the boxes will be ruined anyway!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Pack the boxes as you would in any cargo trailer, tightly together with no movement.
If a box goes smashing through the wall you've either not packed it correctly or you're going WAY too fast and the contents of the boxes will be ruined anyway!
thank you - appreciate the tips!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #10

We recently used our motor home just the way you describe. It was a one time deal and we packed it up like a uhaul trailer. Worked fine.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #11

Well, our toyhauler is a bit larger than yours, but we have used it to carry 'stuff' more than the traditional toys it was built for. We have used the tiedowns over the entire contents to stabilize everything or just one crazy item that doesn't fit in a box. Have fun and I doubt that you will exceed the maximum carrying capacity-- unless it is a lot of wine!

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #12

I used mine to sleep in and carry stuff from my uncles house in Miami when he passed, I did strap boxes down with the D rings with no problems and some stuff was not strapped down, vacuum cleaner, cleaning buckets and supplies, etc. but they were wedged in.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

BE very careful of your weight. I mean very careful. I overloaded and bent the front of the fifth wheel upward Know your empty weight and gross. dont guess, go have the unit weighed at a truck stop.
tooclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooclose View Post
BE very careful of your weight. I mean very careful. I overloaded and bent the front of the fifth wheel upward Know your empty weight and gross. dont guess, go have the unit weighed at a truck stop.
What the heck did you haul?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

Allegedly your NoBo 10.6 can carry almost 2000 pounds.
The cargo you describe will quickly reach that load.

The NoBo is intended to carry toys...bikes, ATVs, a small side-by-side perhaps.
That cargo is intended to be attached to the floor D-Rings. It's not a moving van.

Unlike most U-Haul-like trailers, vans, and trucks, the interior is not lined with cargo-resistant materials...like plywood.

How far are you going? Across town...just be careful. Across the state? I would rent a proper moving truck.

If you use it, I suggest that you pack it lightly with large, lighter items and avoid heavy, dense items like cases of wine, etc. Watch your weights, and don't forget that EVERYTHING you leave in the NoBo, from bedding, to dishes, to whatever counts toward that 2000 (actually 1992 lb) pounds CCC.

I just emptied my PUP in preparation for trade in. I was stunned at the amount of stuff stashed in that camper. Easily 500 pounds. It filled the bed of my pickup, the rear seat cargo area (4-door with load floor), the passenger front seat. And then I hauled and stored another half a bed load on the second trip to my storage unit. If you have loaded your rig similarly, you may only have 1500 pounds of reserve CCC.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...es/NB10.6/3793

You asked for an opinion. That's mine.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #16

Ever look inside a loaded 18 wheeler trailer? They are made to haul freight (weight). You will hardly ever see them packed against the walls of the trailer. You will also see the contents on pallets and shrink wrapped to prevent shifting. The professionals use trailers that are made to contain heavy weights, but they still have limits! I would not use my travel trailer to haul freight. The frame is too light!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #17

Yes, what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What he said ^^^^up there.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #18

Not the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Ever look inside a loaded 18 wheeler trailer? They are made to haul freight (weight). You will hardly ever see them packed against the walls of the trailer. You will also see the contents on pallets and shrink wrapped to prevent shifting. The professionals use trailers that are made to contain heavy weights, but they still have limits! I would not use my travel trailer to haul freight. The frame is too light!
That's not the way professional movers packed my family's goods in their moving van when we moved from Minnesota to North Carolina. They built successive tiers of boxes, tightly wedged from side to side (so there would be no lateral shift) as they loaded the trailer from front to back.

Most damage to goods occurs as they rub against each other if they are allowed to shift.

I remember watching the movers load, to make sure they didn't load things like concrete slabs (they bill on weight). Sure enough, they grabbed a few slabs and put them in the trailer. They insisted they had to take them since they were the right size to fill a gap that needed to be filled.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #19

We hauled a similar load from Salt Lake City to Omaha Nebraska 5 years ago in our 26' Jayco. Hauled all our sons wedding stuff back home. Big and small boxes, plastic totes. We packed tight and packed low. Two totes high and two lrg boxes stacked...no higher. Kept center of gravity low so load wouldn't sway. Trailer handled the load and weight just fine. We did put blankets on outer edges just to prevent plastic totes from scraping walls. Not a mark anywhere when we got home. Did keep a box of left over booze as payment for our troubles.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #20

Being a toyhauler I would do it but keep the heavier stuff in front of the axle(s) and low. Just keep under your gross weight. Weigh it at a CAT scale. I would pack it tightly and against the walls but put large sheets flat cardboard along the walls.

Buy anything you need in large quantities like liquor there...... do not carry it. I would buy liquor where you are going as law enforcement may assume you are trying to beat taxes by carrying it across state lines. A few bottles is ok, but cases is not a good idea.

I have hauled the kids stuff all over the country .

Good Luck.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, trailer