Old 11-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Charging the house batteries

2018 (Transit) Coachmen Freelander 20CB

Can someone answer these questions:

Will the house batteries charge when driving if the battery disconnect switch is turned off?

Does the generator starter run off the house batteries or the engine battery?

Thank you.

djgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

On the Sunseeker TS2390 the house batteries will not charge if the Battery Disconnect Switch is Off. The generator uses the house batteries to start.

You may have a switch on the base of the drivers seat that allows the house batteries to be used to jump start the chassis. Sunseeker has that feature but I don't know if Coachmen uses it.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

Thank you. That’s very helpful.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

your starter battery is the only one that get a charge unless you add a T kit for charging house.
cfo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
your starter battery is the only one that get a charge unless you add a T kit for charging house.
Please explain what a T kit is. Are you saying the house batteries don’t charge while driving?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Smile 20CB battery disconnect switch

The genny won't start with the disconnect swith off because the control panel will be inactive. The coach batteries are charged by the alternator IF the disconnect switch is on. I don't know which battery starts the genny but it won't start unless the disconnect is on. I always keep the disconnect switch ON while driving so the CO and other detectors are functioning, the fridge also.

2017 Coachmen Micro 20CB (Livy)
2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood2Cook View Post
I always keep the disconnect switch ON while driving so the CO and other detectors are functioning, the fridge also.
Just a FYI the CO detector, and a few other devices, are hardwired to the battery and do not go through the Disconnect switch. The only way to turn them off is to physically disconnect a battery lead. The RV Code requires the CO detector to be wired directly to the battery without a cut off switch.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #8

Thanks RedLdr1

2017 Coachmen Micro 20CB (Livy)
2015 Smart Fortwo (Huck)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Just a FYI the CO detector, and a few other devices, are hardwired to the battery and do not go through the Disconnect switch. The only way to turn them off is to physically disconnect a battery lead. The RV Code requires the CO detector to be wired directly to the battery without a cut off switch.
Guess my coach is not in compliant with this code you speak of. Can you provide which code requires this?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Guess my coach is not in compliant with this code you speak of. Can you provide which code requires this?
X2. My detector is wired through the switch. Believe most Motorhome are wired by the factory so the detector turns off with the battery disconnect switch.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

My detector turns off when I throw the battery disconnect switch as well.
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #12

We have a different motorhome, but our house batteries are charged by the chassis engine as we drive. Don't know for sure if the battery disconnect switch affects that or not, but I think it doesn't matter. It appears that our coach battery and house battery are connected independent of the switch.

The battery disconnect switch does disconnect almost everything in our coach that's 12v.... with the exception of the automatic steps which can only be disconnected by physically disconnecting the battery.

Basically, since there are no diagrams for this stuff, you have to experiment to see what powers what.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post

According to my notes, from a RV safety seminar, it ties in to the RVIA Seal. To be allowed to use the RVIA seal the RV builder must comply with NFPA 1192 Standards on Recreational Vehicles. NFPA 1192 on CO / LP alarms links to ANSI/UL 2034 or CSA 6.19. UL 1484 also addresses RV installations. And even the Coast Guard standards are tied in some where. I quit taking notes after a while as this was just background info anyway.

I was curious so I looked at the current installation guides from MTI / SafeTAlert (See Here) and their installation guide has a Warning that states:

"CONNECT ONLY TO WIRING THAT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF BY A WALL SWITCH OR GROUND FAULT PROTECTOR"

All of their installation diagrams show a direct fused connection to the 12VDC battery source.

However, there is a clause in their instructions that states:

"It is acceptable to connect the 65 Series CO alarm to the main disconnect. The alarm will be off along with all other 12 volt equipment when the main disconnect is turned to the off position. The RV must not be occupied when the main disconnect is in the off position." Defining "occupied" could be interesting.

So it appears it is up to the manufacture / installer to determine if it is "acceptable" to connect to the main battery disconnect. FR can wire either way and be in compliance apparently.

None of the FR Sunseeker motor homes we've owned had the CO / LP Detector factory wired through the house battery disconnect switch. When our new one arrives in a couple weeks I'll take a look at it and see how it is wired for 2020.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

I know of this requirement but realized some people always bring up, quote a "CODE" or "LAW" without actually knowing what a certain code or law is. Incidentally, my CO detector is disconnected when batteries are disconnected and thus not a "parasitic" load. Came from factory that way. A battery disconnect is neither just a wall switch or ground fault protector. We all learn something.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging