Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #21

An inverter can draw from your battery bank and supply power directly from its outlets, or an inverter that has a built in transfer switch can feed power to the main circuit breaker panel much as a home emergency generator can supply power to your panel during a power outage.

The transfer switch prevents a dangerous intermix of shore/generator power and inverter power blowing everything up.

If you are running 4 x 6-volt golf car batteries in series/parallel, you'll have enough battery to perform most 120 volt tasks while using the inverter, but some things, like a microwave or coffee maker can put a huge strain on the batteries.

Use this calculator to determine loads on your batteries. Remember that all 120 volt loads through an inverter are drawing from a 12 volt source, so voltage in this calculator, under these circumstances, is always 12 volts. In the case of the illustration inverter - 2500 watts at 120 volts - at full output it will draw 208 AMPS from the batteries to supply that power. The usable capacity of a 4 x 6-volt battery bank is about 250 AMP HOURS. At full load, you'd drain your batteries in about an hour and 15 minutes.

Of course, you won't apply those loads continuously, but a 1200 watt microwave and coffee maker running simultaneously will crush your batteries for at least the few minutes you run them.

If you suck power at anything like this rate, you need to replace it. That means a good generator, and better yet, a sizable solar array for continuous charging during the day. (Illustration only. You may need more like 600 watts or more of solar.)

There's a LOT to this, but the calculator will help you analyze your needs and demands on your puny power source. Flooded cell batteries are VERY MEAGER power supplies. Compare to propane.
A 20 pound bottle of propane contains 412,200 BTU. 91,600 BTU/gallon x 4.5 gallons. That's 120 Kilowatt hours. That's 10,000 amp hours. (You need both calculators to get here.) Your battery bank may have about 250 usable amp hours. One tank of propane contains roughly 40 times the energy of your large battery bank.

For the record, I boondock exclusively. I have one 100 watt solar panel and one group 24 12 volt battery. I have 35 to 40 usable amp hours. Yet I'm able to run a 120 volt electric blanket (360 watts - 33 amps) for 20 minutes to take the chill off the bed and have enough for my furnace, pump, spark ignition for the fridge, hot water heater and furnace, and a rare light (we use lanterns to make this possible). No TV, stereo (we use a bluetooth speaker), and so on. All other 120 volt demands are served by the generator -- typically daily use about 30 minutes altogether.

Adjust your expectations according to your battery bank, your solar charging capacity, and your ability to tolerate the drone of a generator. And here's hoping you don't have a residential fridge.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #22

Some of these new ones are selling with Furions new 12v compressor fridge. So no inverter necessary. I bet that’s what the OP has—check your fridge manual.

If this is the case then don’t have an inverter. So the question is what do you plan/want to use that requires 120 v ac while boondocking? If TV, that’s probably doable with an inexpensive low wattage inverter. If a/c or microwave or hair dryer then it’s not going to happen without a generator—get the Champion dual fuel 3500 watt from Costco—run it off only propane and the carb won’t gum up. It also has a native 30amp RV plug.
Usury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjhym View Post
We just bought our 171rbxl and are trying to get everything set up for eventual boondocking. Will the electrical outlets run on solar power and a 3-4 battery bank?
No.... Need inverter.
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I doubt you have a residential fridge in a 171rbxl. It is too small. You fridge will run using 12 volt and propane when not plugged in to shore power. Lights and awning are also 12 volt.
If it's the same as my 171 it's a 10.7CF 12v system only fridge. Need solar panels to keep that fridge goin.
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, electric, electrical