Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

171RBXL electrical question

I have a 2018 171, great trailer. But had an issue with the battery charge being discharged while in storage. I always make the sure everything is off. Decided to find the discharging source. Used a trouble test light and went through every fuse one at a time...removing a fuse, checking for battery drain. There was no drain from the fuses. So I turned the 30 amp main breaker off and that ended the drain on the battery. (Testing was done with no 120 going to the trailer). Does anyone else have to do this to keep the battery from being drained while in storage?

Thanks in advance.
popupgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Everyone has this same thing to deal with. Batteries need to be disconnected to keep the sensors (carbon monoxide, gas, smoke) from draining the batteries.
Parasitic loss.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

I have a 171rbxl as well.
It has a lot of great features for a small trailer.
One thing it doesn't have is a battery disconnect switch. If you are handy, they are easy to install and would help you here.

For storage and no hookups:
Flipping the 30 amp breaker shuts off any 120v stuff plus the converter, but doesn't shut off 12v things, so your battery slowly dies as it's not being recharged.
You still have power to 12 v items such as lights, sensors etc (even the fridge if you have the propane on). That's why you need to disconnect the battery if you're not plugged in for any length of time (unless you have solar).
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical