Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

195BH- another bent axle thread- HELP?

We have a 2015 CruiseLite 195BH. We generally love the camper, but I noticed when I pulled away last time that the rv was a good 2" low on the curbside.

I've taken it in to be checked out, and the axle is bent. I've never had the camper drop more than 3-4" (off/onto a curb before we had ramps). I haven't hit anything. I haven't run over anything. I don't think I've ever even bounced it hard in street dip. I can't remember ANYTHING that might have caused a bent axle.

No problem. I bought the Good Sam Extended warranty. Right- it has so many exclusions that I wish I hadn't bought it. Axles, of course, are excluded.

It's out of manufacturer warranty.

I called FR- they gave me a direct number for Salem. It appears to be busy all the time.

I'm being told that a 3003 pound camper with a cargo rating of 821 pounds has a 3500 pound capacity single axle built under it.

So- other than the rant (which sort of makes me feel better), my question is this- has anyone had any luck getting in touch with Salem? Any chance I'm going to get some relief from what seems to be a design/build issue?

Since it's out of warranty, and since I get to pay for the whole thing myself, we're going to put a 5200 pound rated axle under it this time. Lippert says that they can do that rating of an axle without changing any of the mounts/springs, etc.

Uggg...

I like my camper, but this was our first new one. I'm not sure we'll do that (new) or FR brands ever again...
rtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

We finally got the 195 back. Took a long time for Lippert to get the new axle built, and it took a long time for Forest River to send the replacement wheel well covers (which had been damaged from the tires rubbing on them).

We put a heavier axle under it than it was built with. I don’t want to do this again.

I learned two things. 1. I probably won’t buy a new RV again, and if I do, I’ll make sure I am a lot closer to the dealer. 2. I’ll never have one with a single axle again.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Explore

So sorry to hear about the misfortune with your 195BH bent axle. I have seen other threads in this forum about problems with this model's single axle. Good to know a larger 5200 lb. rated axle can replace it.

Our 2016 195BH single axle has traveled almost 14K miles over two years to mostly dry camping areas across the Western states and so far our only issue was a cracked rim. We know our next upgrade trailer will be a tandem axle but we have had no issues with our single axle.

Has anyone else had a bent axle on their 195/196BH trailer?
Did FR do anything about it?

Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #4

FR told me it was out of warranty.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #5

Your situation sucks; however, good on you for upgrading to a much heavier duty axle.

My Surveyor is the same way, dual 3500 pound axles for a trailer with a gross weight of 7500lbs. FR requires the TV to carry some of the TT GVW on the tongue.

I often wonder how much we'd be paying for our trailers if FR actually put quality and safety in the same ballpark as production levels....

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

I have a 2016 195BH. I saw the street side tire was leaning in on the top when I was 15 miles from the dealership. Had the axle replaced by the dealer, (very stressful to deal with the dealer). By the time I got home, same issue. I spoke to Forest River, (because I was not going back to the dealer, and got no help). Figured I would just replace the axle myself, but I wanted to go with a Dexter just to see if it was any better. I talked to Lippert who agreed to upgrade me to a 4,400 # axle. Which they shipped me.

A few things, when I took the old axle off, the camber of the axle reappeared, which tells me that 3500# axle just cannot support the weight. Second, from what Lippert told me, as soon as you go passed 3500# the axles are 3 inch and a 3500# is 2 and 3/8. This means you need larger U bolts and you need larger spring plates. Lippert supplied me with the change out kit. The brake plates and hubs are the same on the 4400# as the 3500#. I believe, anything greater than the 4400# requires going to new brakes and hubs. Lastly, there is very little room when attaching the brake plates to the 4400# axle. You cannot use a socket or a boxed end wrench. You must very patiently use an open end wrench, (which really is not a very good thing, but I saw no alternative as that 3 inch axle tube just about touches the heads of the bolts from the back plate).

I have no issues with the 4400# axle. I have a few more things I want to do to my camper and then it will be just what it should have been when I bought it.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Here are a few pictures. I took a picture of the old axle in the driveway and you can see the camber of the axle looks great. There is also a picture of it on the trailer and you can see how as you move out toward the wheel the axle actually bows back upward. I was shocked that the camber returned once the axle was off, but it just goes to show you, it was not a "bent" axle at all. It was an axle that was not able to support the weight of the trailer. And, the picture is with nothing but the propane tank full, battery and a few lawn chairs in the camper with most of that weight on the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170217_095432.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	155785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170304_084749.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	155786  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

I’ve not had axle problems (although I will recheck) but have had one of my leaf springs break and the three other sets are flattened. From what I understand if the axle is undersized then the springs are also.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

The new axle from Lippert came assembled with springs already on it.

I haven’t looked that close, but I suspect our original axle returned to normal after it was off, too.

It’s done now, and I had new tires put on today.

I think it’s really clear that the original axles are simply not heavy enough.

I did get an FR customer service rep to admit that they get lots of calls about this axle on this RV. But they weren’t going to admit it was under engineered. They were also not going to help replace it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #10

Do you know what the weight rating was for the new axle and springs? Also, did you do the install of the new axle yourself?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
Do you know what the weight rating was for the new axle and springs? Also, did you do the install of the new axle yourself?

I had that all written down somewhere. I think the rating for the new axle is 4200. It was the highest rated axle lippert would build and not change out wheels and tires.

It came with springs, brakes, and hubs.

I’m pulling it for the first time today.

Will see how it goes...
Old 11-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #12

My guess is the axle is a 4400 # axle as I believe that is the 3 inch tube that is made so that the hardware from a 3500# axle will still fit it. It is nice to here that you got new springs. I am planning on putting new springs on mine this "spring". From what I can tell, the next size up in terms of springs that I can find are 4000# springs and those springs are 3/4 of an inch longer than 3500# springs from the center of the front eye to the center of the back eye. From what I can tell, this will still work for me as there is room for the extra 3/4 inch, (my springs are flatten out that much already). If any one know where I can find springs with a little more weight rating but still be the same size as the 3500# springs, I hope they speak up. I know I could have a welder move my brackets to accommodate heavier springs, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

Tags
axle, bent