Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
carl.net

1st trip in my slightly used 2006 Salem LE 27BH

I have now made my first journey in my new to me 2006 Salem LE 27BH TT. My goal was to do a break-in stay (both me and the trailer) at a local RV campground but father time foiled my plans. So my first trip was a 1,100 mile trip from Tampa FL to Ellijay GA with six nights spent in the TT. I will save the towing and tow vehicle portion for that part of the board.

1st day of the trip the temps were over 80 in FL and we stopped a number of times for my wife to feed our six week old. The TT provided the perfect setting for feedings allowing quiet and privacy and using my Boliy 3.6kw generator plenty of air-conditioning. Interestingly the 30 amp cord from my TT is 6 inches to short to reach into the bed of my pickup. I will fix this asap! We parked at the Tifton KOA and set up with no issues. Parking the TT and setting up is significantly easier than the same activity with my boat! Not having to set at minimum two anchors and anti rock systems for the night made things a breeze.

2nd day of the trip we arrived at our destination and set up camp. Once again set up was a breeze and within 30 min of parking we were set up. Six nights in this location showed us we had correctly prepared and found the trailer spacious enough for two adults and two children. We did find that my son needed a heating blanket in the rear bunk on the coldest nights as the bunk area was 3 to 5 degrees colder than the rest of the trailer. We also used a an air filter set on high to provide enough white noise so the 2 am feedings of the 6 week old did not wake our son.

6th day of the trip we stayed at another KOA and in general it was a repeat of the 1st night. Only issue we found is that rednecks and their trucks at idle produce a deep resonating in the trailer walls that disrupts sleep. Lucky for us gas is sufficiently expensive that they do not allow their vehicles to sit running for to long…

In general I would rate the trip an A+ giving the travel trailer a B+. It is worth noting that the construction and attention to detail of travel trailers in general would be criminal in the boating industry but seem to be sufficient for a land based housing unit.
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem