Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

2010 f-150 + 286rl

Ok, so I've read A LOT of discussions on Truck vs Weight. At this point being the newbie I am I don't wanna start a crazy thread. What I am looking for is advice from individuals that own F150's and that are currently pulling a 5er like the 286RL and any issues they may have, and what suspension mods if any? I have already purchased 5 new Michelin LTX M/S2's based on other threads so I am good in the tire department even if I don't buy a 5er. What I really wanna know is how much that 5er "swims" or drops me down to the axle??? I am an old farm boy and going down the road public safety is #1.

Thanks!
tj5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Hi, I don't have a ford truck, a Dodge ram1500 hemi, and pull a 286rl, only problem I've had was in steep mountains, and not wanting to keep rpm over 4000 for sustained periods. Had to add overload shock spring combo. Rv was supposed to weigh 8400 lbs dry, but came in new at 9200 lbs dry. Add 1000 for gear propane water junk now 10,000 and truck is 6000lbs. If had it to do again I would have put on air bags, and be able to adjust for any load weight. Good luck and if can help with question, be happy to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
topkattkg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Here is a good guide to what you truck can handle and stay within manufacture specs. If you not going to say within specs then the sky the limit.

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Dry weight in the brochures or on the website is always base weight... no options, battery or propane. The as-it-left-the-factory weight (with options but still no battery or propane) will be on the trailer's yellow sticker that tells you how much room you have left before GVWR (i.e. the cargo-carrying capacity).

I believe the best way to determine pin weight at the trailer's GVWR is to subtract the sum of the axle capacity from GVWR (manufacturers will pretty much all limit GVWR by the axles they install - and the load capacity of the tires they install is as little beyond this sum as they can get away with). That's how much of GVWR they expect to be on the pin and not on the axles.

Only you can find the cargo capacity of your truck. That is vehicle-specific and is printed on the yellow tire loading sticker on your vehicle's driver door jam. This number includes all the factory options on that vehicle and full fluids but NO passengers. From this number, subtract the weight of everything you have added and are going to carry (aftermarket accessories, hitch, tools, passengers, pets, etc). If the resulting number is not greater than the max pin weight from above, you have a problem and no air bag or tires are going to fix it.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote