Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Smile 2014 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK

We have had a couple different campers over the years, but this one is all new to us. Needing assistance in locating the hot water tank bypass and dewinterizing this unit. This is one the one thing we failed to ask the dealer, so if anyone can provide some assistance we would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Djmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Ted1953

Pull the bottom drawer from the dresser in the bedroom. You’ll find the hot water heater valves there
Ted1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Dewinterizing

For this model, is there a suggested process for Winterizing/Dewinterizing?
Water Pump Location?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Ted1953

Water pump is under the kitchen sink. Get the winterizing kit and pump anti freez through everything. Very easy takes about 30 minutes
Old 12-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Ted1953

Don’t forget low point drains. In front of tires on street side. Have to get on the ground and look up.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Thank You

We will look for these today, it has already been winterized by the dealer, getting educated for the spring, your responses are greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

There should be a by-pass valve located in your front compartment where your water hook ups are.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

I have a 2017 282rk. In mine next to the dresser is a floor-to-ceiling closet.The hot water heater is under the bottom shelf. The Shelf is stapled in with short Staples.I removed the dresser drawer,pried up the shelf carefully and removed the Staples Now I have easy access to the hot water heater.
sut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #9

Drawer Removal

I found the bypass valves exactly where you said they would be, but I haven't figured out how to remove the drawer.

Good idea to remove the staples. that will make it easier access the the valves.

Knowing where this tank is, makes me even happier that the water tank can be electric or gas, I prefer electric.

Still looking for the water pump, since the slide was in, couldn't get to the sink yesterday.

Thank You all for your replies
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #10

Removing the drawer is not an easy task. On the slides there are leavers.one on each side.one goes up and one goes down to remove it I believe...... I know for sure you have to work those leavers to put the drawer back in it's a two person job. It's best to find someone who's removed that type of drawer before
Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #11

By the way my water pump is accessible from under the sink.there's a false wall to be removed. I did have to put a kit on to siphon antifreeze in for the winter
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Thumbs up Water Pump & Tank

We pulled out the drawer as far as we could and I could barely see the by pass valves. One of you suggested taking out the bottom of the closet and I think that is what we'll do for the long term.

I'll have to extend the slide out a little but to get around the dining room table in order to gain access under the kitchen sink.

Thank You all that have replied.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #13

Thumbs up Electrical

In watching some video's they have been suggesting some type of power regulator to minimize damage to your electrical system.

I have done some research on a few, price seems to drive me to the lower cost one's.

I recently replaced all of my lights in the house with LED's and its been two years since I have had to change a bulb and still counting.

What are your opinions about changing them over to LED's?

Any input here?

Thank You in Advance for your replies.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #14
Ted1953

Change all your bulbs to led. They are much cooler . I have yet to buy a surge protector yet myself but I know I should. Maybe Santa Clause
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #15

Happy Camper

Located the water pump, right where you said it would be under the sink.

Got the drawer out, those are tiny levers and wa la, there is the hot water tank.

Next project is to replace all of the 921 bulbs with LED bulbs and a surge protector.

Dewinterizing: any special thoughts on that?

Thank You for your replies
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
Ted1953

Dewinterizing is easy. Just put water in fw tank with a little bleach in it. Let it sit for a day then just pump it out using all your water faucets including toilet. Don’t try to pump out all of it. It will take all day.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #17

Ready

Ready to dewinterize my camper for the first time, any suggestions or tips for a newbie?