Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joforbess View Post
I'm having a little issue with the electric stabilizers. The rear legs are not moving up and down together. One side will stop and the other side keeps going down. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

2014 Salem 27RKSS - 2012 F150.

We have the same issue with our rear stabilizers. We plan to have them checked at the Frog rally next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mary and Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #22

Salem 27rkss owners

We love our Salem but have not seen any others on the road in the two years we've traveled with ours. I think they are called rockwoods or someting like that back east. I would like to hear stories from all Salem 27rkss owners and where is everyone from. Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arff2108 View Post
We love our Salem but have not seen any others on the road in the two years we've traveled with ours. I think they are called rockwoods or someting like that back east. I would like to hear stories from all Salem 27rkss owners and where is everyone from. Thanks

There are a few Salems in my area. I'm from a small town called Burgeo in the province of Newfoundland in Canada. We had ours for about a month now and absolutely love it! Can't get enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #24

I think the 27rkss model has been around a long time. I watched a utube video of a 27rkss 5th wheel being sold in Texas. Judging by the decor it looked to be from the early eighties?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #25

The Wildwood is the same model as the Salem. They are made in the same factory.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary and Don View Post
We have the same issue with our rear stabilizers. We plan to have them checked at the Frog rally next month.

Hope you all have a good time at the rally. Please let me know what you find out about the stabilizers. We're headed out for short trip this weekend to arakabutla lake, ms. One of my sons and his family will be joining us in the camper. First family outing since they got their camper. Looking forward to weekend with them and two grandsons.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arff2108 View Post

Hey arff2108. We love our Salem. When we bought ours, there were about three more on the lot in Southaven, Ms. We live about 30 miles north of Memphis, Tn. I was coming home from work a couple of weeks ago and saw one going down the highway. First one I've seen on road since we got ours. Looking forward to this weekend trip with son and family.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #28

We just bought our Salem in March. It was our first brand new still wrapped in plastic trailer. We took one look at the floor plan and fell in love. However, we bought from a disreputable dealer and have had problems ever since. Our first trip was to the Grand Canyon, a 2500 mile round trip for us. We were sure that everything was working perfect on our trailer because we had to take in to the dealer in April and got it back the first weekend of June. Also, 3 days before our trip, the dealer/owner drove over an hour to come work on our trailer. But about 6 hours into our first day of driving, the diamond plate on the front of our trailer came off while driving, with insulation falling out. And that was just the beginning... suffice to say, the manufacturer sent a transport to pick it up last week. We are looking forward to getting it back in 3 weeks, I hope. Great service so far, from the FR plant where our trailer was made. By the way, we are located in Oregon, we have a daughter, 20, and a son 18. This was their first and (probably) last trip in the trailer. Seems like a perfect fit for a couple, but a little cramped with all 4 of us. The kids are growing up and have jobs and lives anyways.
scrapnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joforbess View Post
I'm having a little issue with the electric stabilizers. The rear legs are not moving up and down together. One side will stop and the other side keeps going down. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

we have a 27RKSS we got last fall and love it as well. just my wife and I and this floor plan is perfect for our needs. we went thru the same searches... looked at dozens of campers, and as soon as we walked into this one I held my breath until the wife gave in (she wanted something shorter)

I have the showstopper package also and almost positive this is normal for these stabilizers... one will wind down until it hits resistance then the other one will crank down, then they both tighten up. by design for uneven surfaces I think. Mine does the same thing and it doesn't seem to affect their function at all.

wife and I are getting ready to head out for a month in ours, that will tell us for sure how we like it or not !
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #30
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hi, Hemisphere 282RK here, basically the same but in the Hemisphere line. The kitchen is configured a little different and has plenty of counter space. As for the stabilizers, That is the way they are supposed to work. That way, on uneven ground, the one that contacts first stops until the other leg hits the ground, then they snug up together.
Now I did have an issue with my front stabilizers when it was new, they would just stop in mid extend or retract. Seems the electric motor was not aligned correctly and there was a slight bind. Dealer fixed it right away.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
I'll try this again......

Attachment 55207

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
when we bought our 27RKSS, the kitchen table top was warped so the dealer replaced it under warranty. I asked them for the old top since they were just going to throw it away... I cut it down and made a 12" fold up extension for my kitchen counter and also cut a small piece for the gap between the bathroom sink and shower... counter space was great before, now it's even better !
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
when we bought our 27RKSS, the kitchen table top was warped so the dealer replaced it under warranty. I asked them for the old top since they were just going to throw it away... I cut it down and made a 12" fold up extension for my kitchen counter and also cut a small piece for the gap between the bathroom sink and shower... counter space was great before, now it's even better !
Can you show pictures of the Counter extension please?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
Can you show pictures of the Counter extension please?
let's see if I can figure out how to post pics... lol.

edit: now that I see these pics I really need to paint those white shelf brackets a brown color. Rustoleum makes an oiled bronze paint I have a can around here somewhere.. one more project for this winter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	counter 1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	58993   Click image for larger version

Name:	counter 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	58994   Click image for larger version

Name:	counter 3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	58995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath counter 1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	58996  
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #34

Looks great.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary and Don View Post

We just returned from a visit to our trailer at the manufacturing plant. Although we did not request the improvement, we were REALLY surprised and blessed to see brand new electric stabilizer jacks on our trailer. The person in charge of our trailer explained and demonstrated how they work. Both jacks go down at the same time, then one pauses while the other continues and then becomes stable, then the other lowers completely.
By the way, we are thrilled with the care and response that the factory representatives have shown us. Our trailer fell apart during it's first trip and came from the dealer with missing components and broken parts. The factory has been amazing with additions and fixing and replacing stuff. And our trailer should be home next week!
scrapnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #36
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I like the counter top extension -- slick a reeno
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #37

Thumbs up Skacatz

My wife and I purchased a Salem 27RKSS in the Spring of 2013. Loved the layout better than anything we had seen before. Came with a free option package that included power tongue jack, power awning and power corner jacks. It even has a remote that will control everything but the tongue jack. Have used the trailer quite a few times with no real issues. The only problem we had was the front wall of the slide was bulged out....don't know how that got past inspection but the dealer corrected the issue for us.
The couch/sleeper is not very comfortable at all, but it's just the two of us most of the time so that is not a big problem.
Had a 1500 Suburban with 5.3 engine when we bought the trailer and it was a more than a load on anything other than a flat road. Traded for a 2500 Suburban and I have to say that beast will pull anything. Have loaned both truck and trailer out to my daughter and her husband a couple of times and they really enjoy it too. Hope to keep the Salem into our retirement years.
skacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #38

While the stab jacks may appear to come down at different times, the first to reach the ground will not start to raise the trailer until the second one meets the ground. This also means that these jacks are not meant to level the trailer on to stabilize it. This applies even if you put chocks under the stabs.
Eltonnoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, salem