Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

2014 salem hemispere 356qbq

Ok everybody we just got our new fifth wheel and took it out this weekend. This is my first fifth wheel so I'm new to all the problems that come with them. I'm pulling it with a 2008 ford f350 drw and a b&w patriot hitch. Whenever we would hit a bump usually on a hill it would start jerking real bad when I accelerated and the only way to make it quit was to get off the gas pedal. Tried to accelerate thru it but it just got worse. Pulled great on the highway just had trouble on the roads with hills. I know this is a very long fifth wheel so not sure if its that or trailer brakes or what. Thanks for the help!
RV maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

I wonder how it would tow with another TV! Sounds to me like your hitch is flexing. Can someone possibly watch the hitch as this problem occurs? I'm not very familiar with B&W but believe it has an under-bed frame...u might check the torque on the bolts attached to the frame of your truck.
jbklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Always Learning

No idea about the Ops issue- but the B&W Patriot attaches to standard hitch rails like any other hitch.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

I will check torque on bolts. After pulling the fifth wheel a few times now it seems to only happen when I'm in a higher gear at a lower speed. If I'm trying to drive slow for gas mileage soon as I hit forth gear at a low rpm it starts jerking. If I'm accelerating faster it doesn't really happen.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

I'm not an avid RV tow expert, in fact I just took delivery of my first RV (Hemisphere 356QBQ). I did drive a semi-truck for years (over 1 million miles) when I was younger and have had this issue with big-rigs hundreds of times... based upon my experience, what you describe is directly related to one of 2 potential issues.

1. Too much weight behind the rear axles (or possibly directly upon the rear axles).
Answer: I recommend you store most of your weight towards the front of the trailer to keep the load dispersed across all axles.

2. Sliding hitch too far back.
Answer: I recommend sliding the hitch forward until you ensure proper weight distribution across your drive / steer axles.

I'm unsure which of the two issues (or perhaps a combination of the two) you're dealing with. Best solution is to go to a truck stop with a "Cat Scale". These scales allow you to get loaded weight on every axle. The bulk of your weight should be dispersed across your vehicle and the weight on your trailer axles should never exceed the loaded weight of your pull truck. If you notice on your scale receipt your RV axle weight is are bearing the brunt of the load, this is your issue. As a general rule, your trailer axles should not bear more than 40% of the load unless you've fine tuned your ride.

If you still have an issue once you get your load right and confirm at the scales, let me know... there are a couple other scale tricks that might help but I don't want to hijack your thread.

"If I am unable to make the gods above relent, I shall move Hades." -Virgil (The Aeneid)
Okie Dokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #6

Well I know its not because of a slider hitch because I don't have one. My hitch is mounted in the most forward position so not sure on that. I haven't went to the scales yet but I will. I store everything in the front storage compartments but I will check the weight.