Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

2015 hemisphere freshwater tank

We were filling the fresh water tank when it started to rain. I told the wife to turn the water off while we waited out the rain. Unfortunately she turned it the wrong way and while standing there I hear a load bang. And I was like what was that then another. I said verify that water is off....it wasn't so we turned it off but I am not sure what dammage may be under there... we hauled it to the camp site and all seems well....but there is a bulge on the underbelly. Has anyone done this before....i think I may have snapped a support. If this happened to you please let me know.... I will need to get the fish camera charged to see and take photos of damage....and how to figure out the sealed underbelly to fix and then reseal the underbelly....

Mike
mbaker5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sounds like--------------------

There are very thin small brackets that hold the tanks in place. They are simply bent over on the ends to hang in place to support the tanks.

Your tank may have swelled to the point it pushed the brackets apart letting the tank down on the under belly. I would drain the tank before moving the rv or it may just fall all the way to the ground because of the water weight. You will have to take the under belly down on one side to access the frame for the tank to get tank back in place. Also you can
install larger angle brackets for better support.

Good Luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
DDC

It's still under warranty let the dealer fix it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Over filling I am sure isn't covered. That's self inflicted...besides we stopped by there before hauling it with water....
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #5

I will get the camera in there [it's a plumbing camera] to see if I indeed break ot just drop a strap before going through all that trouble
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Access to view-------------

Access to view tank may require cutting a access hole. I cut a 14"X14"
access hole to view my rear gray tank. I cut in the middle with a razor knife an opening by cutting 14" across the rear of the opening, 14" down each side of the opening. This made a pull down panel that pulled down from the rear of the opening. This enabled me to re close the opening by pushing the pulled down panel back into place, using Gorilla Tape to seal
around the edge on top and bottom of opening. This insured a closure
to keep water, rodents ETC out. I then purchased a like "SNIPE" sign
(can be found on street corners free) to place over the complete opening.
I attached this material with gorilla tape and deep thread, large head screws to insure the access was secured.

You can work through the 14" X 14" opening to push tank back into place and reattach the small angle in place with out removing the under belly panel.

Just make sure the tank is empty!

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

never heard of one overfilling , an all mine that I've had when its full water just starts coming out the fill tube .
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

See it was raining the dw thought she turned the water off but turned it the wrong way and instead turned it fully on and forgot about it....
Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
never heard of one overfilling , an all mine that I've had when its full water just starts coming out the fill tube .
X2 Never thought that continuing to run water could hurt the tank. Means water is going in faster than overflow can handle it.

BTW I had to teach my DW "righty tighty ... lefty loosey".

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #10

5/8 hose at 40PSI slip fit into fill hole and 3/8 vent hose is a (Water Balloon) waiting to happen! Don't cut hole,remove belly and fix it properly! When you see how they (Support??) the water tanks you will probably (ADD) additional supports anyway! Youroo!! Cant believe your (Dealer?)sent you on your way with the (Bulge) from the tank?
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #11

OMG - empty that baby before moving - the coachman we had - after 12 seasons - the water tank fell off while on the highway -- Hubby didn't know it until a passing car waved at him . . .there was a small pvc pipe holding the tank on for dear life . . tank had about 20 gallons in it . . BUT if it had snapped off completly -- I hate the thought of someone in another vehicle being hurt or killed by a RV water tank -- at about 160Lbs object come flying at you -- oh my goodness -- the whole thing could have cause a major accident
2Camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
5/8 hose at 40PSI slip fit into fill hole and 3/8 vent hose is a (Water Balloon) waiting to happen! Don't cut hole,remove belly and fix it properly! When you see how they (Support??) the water tanks you will probably (ADD) additional supports anyway! Youroo!! Cant believe your (Dealer?)sent you on your way with the (Bulge) from the tank?
I guess that's why I never had that problem I never turn the water valve on more than half way to fill the tank.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

If you overfilled it, you would have seen water running out of the overflow pipe from the fresh water tank on your hemi. What model?
One other thought, where did you fill the tanks? Was there a pressure regulator on the hose? The hoses are only fastened with crimp fasteners and higher than the 55 psi pressure the regulators allow may have blown out your fill hose in the tank. that may have been one of the loud bangs you heard.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
DDC

How do you over fill a self levelling water tank? anytime I fill ours I just put the hose in and turn on the water, if it is filling faster than the air is leaving it spits the water back out again.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaker5408 View Post
Over filling I am sure isn't covered. That's self inflicted...besides we stopped by there before hauling it with water....
How does one overfill a water tank. These things are not balloons and if so then that is a manufacturing problem. A 30 gallon fresh water tank should hold 30 gallons with enough rigidity to hold its shape. And if one puts 30 gallons in it, it should be supported enough not to break away from the frame.

That is my take on it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
How do you over fill a self levelling water tank? anytime I fill ours I just put the hose in and turn on the water, if it is filling faster than the air is leaving it spits the water back out again.

There is no way on Hemisphere for the water to 'spit' back out at the fill. It does not have a large open mouth fill, but a screw on 'hose' attachment with a one way check valve at the fill, like the 'city water' intake on most campers. Adding water faster than the air vent will let the air go out will balloon up the tank and bend brackets because of the expansion.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
There is no way on Hemisphere for the water to 'spit' back out at the fill. It does not have a large open mouth fill, but a screw on 'hose' attachment with a one way check valve at the fill, like the 'city water' intake on most campers. Adding water faster than the air vent will let the air go out will balloon up the tank and bend brackets because of the expansion.

Wow. No kidding? Ok.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

And, the tanks do come off their brackets, our black tank did that just from driving, it slipped out of it's "cradle" and caused an enourmous stink, Didn't know why we were getting odor, thought it was the Dometic 300 toilet -- nope. Dealer took off the underbelly and the tank had slipped, causing about a 4" distortion in the underbelly cover and the exit pipe slipped it's connection. They repositioned the tank and put in 2 stainless steel strap cradles to prevent recourrance.

The Hemispheres have only a hose screw connection to the fresh water, but have an overflow pipe on the fresh tank. My guess is that the tank slipped off the brackets. Taking off the belly cover will tell for sure, if still under warranty, have the dealer do it and fix it. It would not have been your fault for the tank to slip.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

Took photos and the rear support is bent and the under supports both dropped....

It might be hard to soo the back one but the under support is easy to see...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409713223923.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	62021   Click image for larger version

Name:	1409713252516.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	62022  
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

looks like you found the culprit, if under warranty, the dealer/mfg should repair.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade

Tags
tank, water, water tank