Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

2018 201BHXL Tongue Weight

I will be renting mine and was just wondering if anyone knew the approx tongue weight. Do I really need the equalizer hitch for a short distance?
Keith3679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Depends on how short the distance is and what your tow vehicle is, will you be towing on interstate?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

They will be towing it with a 1/2 ton. I looked online and 201BHXL tongue weight is 528 lbs. As long as truck can handle at least that on the hitch I'm good?
Old 05-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

That online figure will not be accurate. In reality your hitch weight will probably 600 lbs. or more once you account for 2 x 20 lb. propane tanks and a battery, which the online figure will not include. Add more if you're trailering a full load of fresh water.

There is more information needed to properly determine, but, from what I see, IMO that's a lot of tongue weigh for a 1/2 without a WDH.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

I'm making some assumptions so bare with me. I am assuming it's your trailer and you are renting to someone else. I would be more worried about them backing into the spot without hitting something vs short tow to campground. Assuming the trailer is loaded with necessary gear, as an FYI, my 600# dry (online) tongue weight is now approx 850# after loading the trailer up. You should also be aware that more than likely your insurance won't cover any damage (or liability if they get in an accident towing your trailer) during a rental without a specific ryder for that.
Sorry, I'm a finance guy, so i think about crap like this.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
They will be towing it with a 1/2 ton. I looked online and 201BHXL tongue weight is 528 lbs. As long as truck can handle at least that on the hitch I'm good?
Don't want sound curt here, but if you own it you should already know what the laden tongue weight is, and what TV capacity is required? If you're renting it out for use with a TV that is questionable, and no WDH, then YOU are assuming the risk.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will be renting mine and was just wondering if anyone knew the approx tongue weight. Do I really need the equalizer hitch for a short distance?
Quote:
Let's just make sure we're all following here. Are you renting out a trailer you already own, or are you renting a trailer you don't own to try it out? If you already own it, there are multiple ways to measure the trailer's actual tongue weight. Here's an image of one way using a bathroom scale shameless borrowed from google:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

You mentioned that the people towing it will have a 1/2 ton. It will depend on the specific 1/2 ton, but when I had mine, it stated right in the owners manual that anything over 500 lbs you should use a WDH. Additionally, never go off the dry weight. My dry weight on my Flagstaff was around 600 lbs on the brochure, it was about 900 lbs in reality.

If this is a trailer that you own, then I hope you also already own an WDH, which you should be renting with the trailer. Or, if it's really 'a short distance' and you already have the means to tow it, then maybe tack on a 'delivery fee' and tow it to the campsite for them.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

I own the trailer and I tow it with my 2018 Sierra and WDH. Since the WDH is already configured for my truck, I don't want to be tweaking it. I'm wondering what options I have when I rent this to somebody who has a 1/2 ton truck. Most 1/2 tons can handle 5000 lbs and 600 lbs tongue weight and if it is a 1/2 ton, it has a 1000 lb payload in the back end. That being said, I'm just questioning if I really need to rent out my WDH hitch and configure it to each and every renter. Anybody else rent whom can chime in on this?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, then you could go with the 'delivery fee' approach. There's at least one company in this area that I've run across that takes that approach. He's got like 6 or 7 trailers for rent and states right on his site that his rates include delivery, he drops off and picks them up from local campgrounds. Renters just need to show up and use it.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #10

Mine is 800lb loaded with full propane. That's with a lot of stuff in the front cargo area but I would think that is normal since the trailer does not have a lot of other storage. I used the bathroom scale method to measure.
jrm1493 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, tongue weight