Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

356QB Weird beds and refrigerator?

Hello all! We just purchased a brand new 356qb and are having some issues! Our old 5w had a standard queen bed in it, and when we purchased this one we were told it had a king. The Floorplan we were sent from the dealer says "custom king" on it. We were aware that an rv king would be slightly shorter and were prepared for that. But then we got it home and the bed measures 66x80. This isn't even an rv king. Anyone else with this same model have the same issue or did our dealer pull a fast one?

We have two young children (3 and 4) that will be using the bunks. Any ideas for some kind of barrier on the bunks to stop them from falling out? We thought we could use a bed rail from their beds at home but the mattresses are so thin they won't hold the rails up.

Best sheets to use for the fold our couches? Our old 5w didn't have a fold out couch (thus the reason for a new one with 2 kids!) And we would like something to protect the cushions when my nieces are sleeping on them.

Our fridge was an "upgrade" to the 10cu one with an inverter. One of the PDI guys said that with the inverter the fridge won't run on propane anymore, only electric and then the inverter. Is this right? How long does the battery/inverter last if dry camping?

Thank you for the help! This is our first new/major rv purchase and we're not super rv savvy yet! Our old 5w was a hand me down we only used a few times, so this is all new territory for us.
Kriskirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Congrats on the new purchase. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we ours. We replaced our bedroom mattress with a queen that was given to us because the one that came with it was awful. We have the gas/electric fridge so I am not any help there but it should run off the inverter. For the couch sheets we just some extras from the house and fold them under the cushions. For my 5 year old so he didn't role out of the bunk with the ladder I just suffers pillows under the outer edge of the mattress to make a good sized jump to keep him in. That has worked so far for us.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

For the Child bed issue... pool noodles under the sheet
diannachilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #4

You could get some large L brackets and bolt them directly to the wood underneath the mattress and a pice of 1x6 for the rail and stain it to match. As for the fridge you should have 2 batteries for the inverter. As yes no propane to fridge. You could always plug the tow vehicle back in to charge the batts when dry camping. When on shore/campground power the inverter is not needed.
AGFazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

As for the beds. We just used a residential Queen and tossed the garbage mattress that came with it. Forget fitting sheets for the pullouts. Just get larger ones and tuck them or sleeping bags opened up.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGFazio View Post
You could get some large L brackets and bolt them directly to the wood underneath the mattress and a pice of 1x6 for the rail and stain it to match. As for the fridge you should have 2 batteries for the inverter. As yes no propane to fridge. You could always plug the tow vehicle back in to charge the batts when dry camping. When on shore/campground power the inverter is not needed.

Tow vehicle I'll not recharge batteries fast enough, it'd have to run all day !

Op do you have one battery or two?

You'll need a generator to get the batteries recharged.
Although it can be done residential fridges with inverters are not very dry camping friendly.

More info needed to make any kind of answer.
One or two batteries?
Size of battery / batteries?

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

Y'all got me a bit worried now ... is the inverter style fridge the new standard? We pick up our Vengeance 25V in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be really upset if the fridge won't run on propane. We do 50% of our trips without electric and that's just not going to fly.

Hopefully I'm getting worried about nothing??????

thanks,
Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
Y'all got me a bit worried now ... is the inverter style fridge the new standard? We pick up our Vengeance 25V in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be really upset if the fridge won't run on propane. We do 50% of our trips without electric and that's just not going to fly.

Hopefully I'm getting worried about nothing??????

thanks,

If you ordered it you should have ordered a Rv fridge.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Maybe it's not an issue since we weren't give an option. I'll call the dealer and check.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskirkland View Post
...We have two young children (3 and 4) that will be using the bunks. Any ideas for some kind of barrier on the bunks to stop them from falling out? We thought we could use a bed rail from their beds at home but the mattresses are so thin they won't hold the rails up. ...

Mine were also 3 & 4 when we started camping and also used their bed rails from home. Yes, the mattress is thin, but you also have the weight of your child on top of that to help hold them down. So far so good with ours. But if you're really worried, just find a way to screw the rails down to the bed. One of the ideas I had (but never actually tried) was to use some webbed strapping (from an old set of tie down straps) to hold down the rails to the bed. But once I actually wedged everything together and had a kid try them out I figured I was safe the way they were. It took a lot of pushing on my kids part to move the rails, and when they're sleeping, they don't push that hard. Just kind of bump the rail and then roll back the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #11

If it says 16 cu ft residential refrigerator it is electric only. If you get the RV 8 cu ft it is gas/electric.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Mine were also 3 & 4 when we started camping and also used their bed rails from home. Yes, the mattress is thin, but you also have the weight of your child on top of that to help hold them down. So far so good with ours. But if you're really worried, just find a way to screw the rails down to the bed. One of the ideas I had (but never actually tried) was to use some webbed strapping (from an old set of tie down straps) to hold down the rails to the bed. But once I actually wedged everything together and had a kid try them out I figured I was safe the way they were. It took a lot of pushing on my kids part to move the rails, and when they're sleeping, they don't push that hard. Just kind of bump the rail and then roll back the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

For the rails, couldn't you simply attach rails to a thin sheet of plywood and place the plywood under the mattress? That would allow you to remove them anytime you want and to not have to screw into the main framing of the bed yet it would still provide support for the rail so that it does not fall over.
pprice01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, refrigerator