Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #1

A little help

Hello from Nebraska

I just bought a 2011 Salem 26TBUD and we got it from a private seller and we dont know how anything works on it. We are looking forword to using it this weekend. We would like any info you can give like how the hot water heater works, how to hook up the cable at the camp site, just the basics as i dont want to look like a moron out there lol.

Please help ASAP
Dlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
CampingQueen

Welcome! I'll take the easy question... the cable TV Look for an outlet on the outside of the camper - it's usually located close to the power and water connections. It will be a coaxial connector. We carry a 25' length of coax cable. Just connect the cable between the connector on the outside of the camper and the connector provided at the campground (usually located either just beside or in the same box as the power connection.)

There is often an 'output' coax connector on the OTHER side of the camper, under the awning, where you could setup a TV for viewing outside. Don't use that one..

Hot water heater... depends on the type you have. If you could uncover the hot water heater and take a pic that might help. Generally though, it will run on propane and/or electricty. Look for a switch inside the camper on your panel for turning it on. Before you turn it on, be sure the water is connected and you bleed air out of the tank by holding up the release valve. You want the tank full before you turn on the heater to avoid burnout.

Here's a couple of good videos about general RV water heater help. Check out other vid's by these guys for good basics on RV maintenance and operation. Enjoy the new RV!

(I like RVGeek's videos)

If you have dual electricity/propane heater, AND you have the switch on the outside turned on, it will automatically switch to electric when you are plugged in at the campground. This saves on propane, but water is slower to reheat.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums...

Your asking some fairly broad questions...

The water heater- First hook-up the city water, drain the air out of the water heater by pulling the pressure relief valve. On most water heaters there is a on/off switch in the outside compartment for electricity. Turn that to on. You should also be able to run it on gas. Again in most RV the switch for that is inside the camper. Most have an electronic spark so you should not need to light a pilot light.

Cable TV- I assume your going to a CG that has cable. Take about 25' of coax with you. You just screw one end to the cable hook-up on your RV and the other on the CG cable hook-up. Inside your RV there will be a switch to turn the antenna amp on/off. Should be near the main TV hook-up. On cable this needs to be off. In the out position and no green light.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Or what arlee453 said... LOL
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Cable tv connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlytle View Post
Hello from Nebraska

I just bought a 2011 Salem 26TBUD and we got it from a private seller and we dont know how anything works on it. We are looking forword to using it this weekend. We would like any info you can give like how the hot water heater works, how to hook up the cable at the camp site, just the basics as i dont want to look like a moron out there lol.

Please help ASAP
I didnt see any connections on the outside that looks like a coax connection is that an option on this TT
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
I didnt see any connections on the outside that looks like a coax connection is that an option on this TT
Don't know about your TT, but it should be similar since it is a 2011. On mine it is on the left/drivers side, under the power hook-up with a hard plastic flap door labeled "Cable/Satellite". Open the flap and to the left is a coax hook-up for cable and to the right is for a satellite system (Direct/Dish network).
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
on entry-level TT's, like the Salem line, it is an option.
many have not realized this when they purchase their trailer and find out later, that there's pre-wiring for the tv and cable.
does it have the crankup antenna on top? if it does, that means it should be wired for tv and cable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Yes it does have crank up ant. But i can not find a hook up outside for cable . If it is not there i am sure i can run a line for this but just thought it was there somewhere. Thank you for the help
Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Just a member

Quote:
Yes it does have crank up ant. But i can not find a hook up outside for cable . If it is not there i am sure i can run a line for this but just thought it was there somewhere. Thank you for the help
Apparently the "Cable TV/Satellite Hook-up" is an option on the Salem. Perhaps your rig was not originally delivered with that option.
Attached Images

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote